Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #31
Derek Weaver

Some thoughts as I head into a rest day for Friday and take some heavy singles on Saturday.

One is that my sleep needs to be addressed. I rarely sleep enough (lucky to get 8 hours, obviously feel better on 9), yet when I do it's rarely of a good quality.

I'm pretty good about sleeping in a totally dark room, minimizing EMF etc. I'm gonna mess around with some sort of a 5-htp/zma or pharmagaba concoction as per some of the comments on Robb Wolf's site lately. I liked ZMA in the past.

Either way, my programming will probably change after next week. I may stick with this next week, or possibly take a back off week and then switch it up. I like having a big (for me) clean, but I need to really get my power lifts up. My DL has regressed over the last 6-8 months or so and my back squat is just now getting to be respectable again.

More thoughts on nutrition and recovery will come soon as I settle in on a new mode of programming in the next couple of weeks. Some ideas are: going on a CKD for a while depending on programming. Others are Zoning again with most carbs going PWO (liked this approach in the past) at more blocks (maybe 18 or so, usually a 15/16 blocker). This would be mainly for "accounting" purposes.

I could stand to put a few pounds on, but I'd like to keep the strength to weight ratio. Just saw a post by Jeff Martin on the CF Board noting that his kid, at 145 lbs., hit a legit depth back squat at 320. I've pr'd at 330 in the past with a BW of about 160-165 (about 160 or so now give or take a couple pounds).

I'm just rambing now, but I guess I'll consider this a "3rd quarter check in and evaluation".
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #32
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
Some thoughts as I head into a rest day for Friday and take some heavy singles on Saturday.

One is that my sleep needs to be addressed. I rarely sleep enough (lucky to get 8 hours, obviously feel better on 9), yet when I do it's rarely of a good quality.

I'm pretty good about sleeping in a totally dark room, minimizing EMF etc. I'm gonna mess around with some sort of a 5-htp/zma or pharmagaba concoction as per some of the comments on Robb Wolf's site lately. I liked ZMA in the past.

Either way, my programming will probably change after next week. I may stick with this next week, or possibly take a back off week and then switch it up. I like having a big (for me) clean, but I need to really get my power lifts up. My DL has regressed over the last 6-8 months or so and my back squat is just now getting to be respectable again.

More thoughts on nutrition and recovery will come soon as I settle in on a new mode of programming in the next couple of weeks. Some ideas are: going on a CKD for a while depending on programming. Others are Zoning again with most carbs going PWO (liked this approach in the past) at more blocks (maybe 18 or so, usually a 15/16 blocker). This would be mainly for "accounting" purposes.

I could stand to put a few pounds on, but I'd like to keep the strength to weight ratio. Just saw a post by Jeff Martin on the CF Board noting that his kid, at 145 lbs., hit a legit depth back squat at 320. I've pr'd at 330 in the past with a BW of about 160-165 (about 160 or so now give or take a couple pounds).

I'm just rambing now, but I guess I'll consider this a "3rd quarter check in and evaluation".
I read that post by Jeff also. Pretty cool stuff.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #33
Derek Weaver

Yeah, they've got some good stuff going on down there at BrandX.

I may try and hit up Jeff to see if I can get a few insights into programming from him. We'll see. I do know that I'm going to be doing a lot more specific DL and Squat work. On my squats I am again responding like a "higher end" novice taking smaller steps of about 5 lbs/week. I may be good for more if I can get recovery dialed in.

Rambling again.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #34
Derek Weaver

Saturday- 9/20/2008
Snatch Heavy Single- 125 lbs. Pulls feel good, realized I can do a muscle snatch at 95 lbs. without much trouble. What this tells me is.... my snatch form really blows. May be amending heavier weights to power snatches for a while and working broom snatches for the full version
C&J Heavy Single- 185 lbs. Nice and very easy PR.
Back Squat Heavy Single- 265 lbs. Plenty in the tank on this one. My quest to re-discover my back squat is going nicely. I believe I have close to a 2x bodyweight squat in me right now. Perhaps something like 1.8x or so, but real close. No problem hitting this by mid to late October if all goes well.

Metcon: Supposed to be a light day... instead I did "Josh" for the volume of pull ups. Completed in 12.19. Pull ups were again the problem. On a fixed bar all of my times plummet. Still working the vertical kip.

Sleep has gone well, going to "redial" my nutrition back in and take a back off week soon... this week or next then switch things up.

I tend to have training ADD and really do want to work my slow lifts a little more.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #35
Derek Weaver

Back Off Week

9/22/2008 Monday
Snatch 5x2: 95lbs. the whole way through. Form sucks still, but I feel like increasing shoulder flexibility (a slow process) and the muscle snatch are helping pretty quickly. It's probably in my head, but I feel better in the catch even though the weight is light. We'll see when the big weights start moving.

Back Squat 5x5: 210 Not much to say here. Form is solid, no hip issues, low back feels great adding in more reverse hypers.

Press 5x5: 115 Still not much to say.

I figured It's time for a back off week. I've taken a couple of 3-4 day breaks, but no real deloading time since late May. I figure that with starting a new job soon (pretty excited for the potential here), some personal issues going on and just training hard that adrenal fatigue and overreaching will get cooked up sooner than later.

I'd rather stay conservative here and take a back off week to ensure that I can continue to make progress rather than eventually hitting full blown overtraining.

I've got my own attempt at a Hybrid brewing right now. Most likely start it next week. Ideas will be written down soon.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #36
Derek Weaver

9/23/2008 Tuesday
Power Snatch 3x2: 105 lbs. Not a good then when you easily power snatch for doubles what you struggle with in the full version for doubles. This is the main reason why I will be switching things up a bit. I'm not getting any real benefit from snatching at this time.
Power Clean and Jerk 3x2: 140 lbs. Felt great. Backed off 10% on these and good. Good second pull and really probably could have muscle cleaned these. Jerks are getting better as I, oddly enough, do more targeted ab approach.

Metcon: 3 Rounds: 95 lb. Snatch+10 OHS+15 pull ups= 6.34. OHS blew me up on this one. Kinda ripped one off from CF from a year or so ago, but different:
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #37
Derek Weaver

9/24/2008 Wednesday
Clean and Jerk 5x2: 145 lbs. Felt very easy and good. Back off week probably came at a good time. While I was still progressing, by the middle to end of the week I was usually spent and even though I was C&J'ing something like 40 lbs. more for a double, I was seriously taxed.
Deadlift 3x2: 275. Easy movement. Still need to work my deadlift again. Capable of closer to 300 for 1x5 without the C&J's first.
Front Squat 3x3: 185 lbs. Felt fine, nothing special. Legs got just enough work to make me remember to EAT.

9/25/2008 Thursday
OHS Heavy Single, then 85%x2x3: 135 lbs, then 120 lbs.
Push press 5x5: 115 lbs. Very freaking light. I can pull off something like 185 lbs. for a push press single, so these should have been light. Still enough to keep the blood flowing though.
"Gut Check" 10 push ups, crunches, hindu pushups, reverse crunches, diamond push ups, bicycle crunches (from the Berardi T-Mag article). Got 4 rounds and called it... good for more, but this is a back off week after all (not good for much more than maybe a round though.)
Old 09-27-2008, 08:39 PM   #38
Derek Weaver

9/27/2008 Saturday
Snatch Work Ended up at 130 lbs. Pulls felt great, overhead position needs work at the bottom. Capable of much more at this point. I feel like my starting position is what was really holding me back on the 1st and 2nd pull.

light metcon: 20 ball slams, 10 pull ups, 10 clapping push ups... 5.06 3 rounds.

New program starts Monday. More of a hybrid but with more moderate volume I think. It'll evolve. I'm excited and re charged.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #39
Derek Weaver

9/29/2008 Monday
Back Squat (Low Bar): 215 lbs, 3x5
Hang Power Clean: 135 lbs, 3x5
Press: 115 lbs, 3x5
Ab Circuit: KB side bends (1.5 pood)x8 + Hanging Leg Raise x8 for 3 rounds with 45 seconds rest.

Felt good today. Gave myself a bit more room still to make way for linear progression. A-B split on a hybrid approach. Today was an "A" day nearly identical to the standard SS novice routine except for the Hang Power Clean. "B" day will be a little different.

Metcons will be short, with one day/week of intervals, another maybe of Zercher carries and another of metcon. Some weeks no metcon, others 3 metcon-ish workouts. I'm thinking that most Saturdays will be reserved for the "Girls" with appropriate selections taking place depending on which workout was done on Friday.

Looking like a 3/1/2/1 schedule is going to be most likely. Not afraid to take a day off either. Low-ish volume to make way for some other stuff. All in all I am looking forward to it. May need to tweak things as life dictates or as performance indicates.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #40
Derek Weaver

9/30/2008 Tuesday
6x~75 meter sprints Running right below 10 seconds on each. Not sure if the distance was right on this one... could have been shorter. I used to be really fast, but not so much anymore.

Sprint, jog backwards to the starting point, rest two minutes.

Warmed up with 400 meter jog, 15 kipped pull ups x2.

Cooled down with 300 meter medium effort jog, walk 200 meters, 20 kipped pull ups.

All in all I covered, I think, exactly 2000 meters today. Sprint work covered 450 meters.

Loving my Nike Free 5.0's.