Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-02-2009, 06:38 PM   #451
Derek Weaver

This little 3 week Regular Guy plan went really well. Every workout was a good one, and I made some nice progress considering the situation. All in all I added ~3-4 lbs which was what I was hoping for. A nice steady 1 lb./week type of gain.

Some more thoughts before I drop off the grid for my 2 week Euro Adventure:
- Mass gain should be controlled if possible. The GFH principle/approach works quickly, but can make the resulting approach at fat loss disastrous for previous improvements. Frustration and impatience makes this more difficult.
- I posted a comment in Kevin's log that got me thinking on this one. As stresses build up and recovery slows due to age or a crappy work situation (or other situations that create an all around aura of suck), I am starting to question how long the trainee can count on linear progression in the big lifts. If one were to start very low in terms of max. weights, then for a while I'd think. If you're looking to work closer to max's (80%+) I don't see this happening. I'm wondering if an intermediate approach almost becomes more necessary the older the trainee or suck of the recovery situation.
- Single leg training is not for wimps. It saves backs and improves training longevity. And it's fun.
- Keeping track of intake isn't that hard once you've done it for a couple of weeks. If you know what you need to eat in order to lose, add about half of that plus a couple snacks or an extra meal and you should gain at a decent rate.

Take care everyone, I'll be back on here towards the last week or so of the month.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #452
Allen Yeh

Have fun!
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 AM   #453
Derek Simonds

First off best of luck on your adventure! When you get we have to talk about linear progression and the aura of suck!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #454
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
I am starting to question how long the trainee can count on linear progression in the big lifts. If one were to start very low in terms of max. weights, then for a while I'd think. If you're looking to work closer to max's (80%+) I don't see this happening. I'm wondering if an intermediate approach almost becomes more necessary the older the trainee or suck of the recovery situation.
Rip makes the same comment, that the older the trainee, the earlier the need for intermediate progression.

Have fun in Europe!
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #455
Derek Weaver

Thanks for the well wishes. The trip was amazing. The bummer is that I had to come back. If I had to rank Rome on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the best, it would get a 30. The sites are outstanding, the food is amazing and the people are like no other.
I got a cold the last couple days of the trip and am still kinda wiped out. Got back to my house around 11 last night.

"light workout" to get the blood flowing, pump the endorphins etc.
A1) Front Squat 95x5, 115x5, 135x5
B1) Bench Press 95x5, 135x5, 155x10
C1) Row 95x5, 135x5, 145x8

Felt good so did this but only 2 sets through instead of 5 from the recent article on T-Mag.
Goblet Squats: 5 x 10
Pull-ups: 5 x 10 (or as many as possible)
Kettlebell French presses (hold the horns): 5 x 10
Thick bar curls: 5 x 10

Notes:
- I am an idiot. totally wiped out. Still sick should have ended with the basics, the 2 sets through that circuit were stupid. Oh well. I'm not going to do anything again til Friday I think.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 AM   #456
Derek Simonds

Note to self .... Jet Lagged, Sick, Wiped Out DON'T DO CONDITIONING CIRCUITS!!!

Glad you had a great time, hopefully there are some cool pictures you can share. Rest up and get back on a good eating plan asap.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 AM   #457
Derek Weaver

Yeah, that circuit wasn't really conditioning in the classic CF metcon/puke fest, but it was enough after the lay off and other factors you mentioned. I'm still working through the 300+ pictures I took to figure out a couple of the best ones.

I could use some opinions on a couple different training ideas I've got going as Maximum Strength and the requirement of a commercial gym, or at least one more broadly equipped than my garage is a no-go for now. I'll post up a couple things when I get a chance. Hopefully who ever stops by will give some opinions. I'll be the pseudo experiment for the next several months.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #458
Allen Yeh

I liked the Maximum Strength book a lot, solid programming.

Ok to say a little bit more, the thing with Maximum Strength is you really have to have 4 solid days a week and a gym with a decent amount of equipment to be able to the program justice. You can do the program with 3 days a week of course but then you start mixing up your weeks in terms of reps and sets.

Last edited by Allen Yeh : 11-19-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: added more information.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #459
Derek Weaver

That's what I was thinking with Maximum Strength. I'm hoping in the next couple of months to make a move in terms of my living situation and "career" (as in actually have a job that would lead to a career instead of what I do now)... along with the holidays and I don't want to put anymore money out (even if it's like $30/month or whatever a standard 24 hr fitness-type of gym costs).

I've got some thoughts on what to do with my programming, but I'll hold off for a day or two as I continue to line up goals.

Friday 11/20/09
Front Squat 3x5 - 135, 145, 155
KB Row + TRX Suspended Push up 3x12

The Dan John BB stuff from T-Mag recently:

Goblet Squats: 2 x 10
Pull-ups: 2 x 10 (or as many as possible)
Kettlebell French presses (hold the horns): 2 x 10
Thick bar curls: 2 x 10

Notes:
-Felt better today. Paced myself a bit more with the finishing stuff. Got away from conditioning and wanted to get meaningful reps in without increasing the effects of my cold again.
- I feel like I'm going to be in a good spot for actual hard sessions in just a day or two. Kept it easier again today to kind of "ramp up"
Old 11-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #460
Arien Malec

Hey -- welcome back -- glad you enjoyed Europe.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote