Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #41
Allen Yeh

I love the Free shoe. I find it annoying how the sizing between models can be drasticalling different. Now I'm having a hard time finding anything other than the nonnumbered shoes i.e. Nike Free Gym, Everyday+....etc I've heard those are basically 7.0 shoes.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #42
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
I love the Free shoe. I find it annoying how the sizing between models can be drasticalling different. Now I'm having a hard time finding anything other than the nonnumbered shoes i.e. Nike Free Gym, Everyday+....etc I've heard those are basically 7.0 shoes.
Yeah, the 7.0 looks like a little bit of a clunker to me. My calves were sore today after those sprints yesterday. usually my calves barely get any punishment, but they were fired up. I definitely noticed less shin pain and my lower back took little to no punishment. Used to be a decent runner, but years of Nike "Shox" and other air shoes has screwed up my stride and I've paid the price. I'm only 25, so I figure with the right shoes and improving my stride to eliminate the hell strike I should get over all the ailments running causes me.

For today's workout:
10/1/2008 Wednesday
Front Squat 5x3: 195 lbs. across
Floor Press 3x5: 165 lbs. across
Deadlift 1x5: 275 lbs.... very easy. No O-lifting before Deadlifts is a good thing for me. Definitely going to be looking to finally stick that 400+ deadlift (haven't gone for a 1rm in over a year. Best pull before was 385 @ ~160 lbs. a little over a year ago... I suck)
Hanging Leg Raise 3x10
then:
Sprinter sit ups + toe touches: 10+10x2

Was thinking 10x3 front squats, but that is probably WAY too much volume. For all I know 5x3 may be too much. We'll see.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #43
Kevin Perry

I hear ya on the front squat volume. Today was the first day in a long time I did them and it was tough as all hell at 3 x 5
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #44
Derek Weaver

Definitely. Front Squats really take more out of me than Deadlifts... although tonight was very light on the DL's.

Still though, Front squats may be the most taxing of the compound lifts for me. Kind of addicting, though I doubt I'll be on any kind of a 10x3 kick anytime soon.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:50 PM   #45
Derek Weaver

10/3/2008 Friday
Back Squat (low bar) 3x5 @ 230 lbs. Felt good. Slowly rediscovering my back squat strength. Once upon a time when I stood at about 180-185 lbs., 5'6" I could squat a serious load... dieted down to about 160 and still squatted 330... now I'm proud of 230x 3setsx5reps.
Hang Power Clean 3x5 @ 140 lbs. Definitely a trap builder. I like the hang power versions of the Oly Lifts as they really force me to hit triple extension. I have a tendency to drop too early, especially on the snatch.
Press 3x5 @ 115. Felt good, took a big jump from Monday. Never stalled on any reps, good and smooth.
3x8 weighted GHD sit ups with a 25 lb. plate. A bit light, but I'm sure I'll feel it in the morning.

I am definitely going to change things around. I'm thinking of actually going with the WSBB for Skinny Bastards template by Joe DeFranco.

Main reason(s) being that I have a couple of imbalances I'd like to work on... and two is that I eventually would like to go back to school to pursue a (second) degree in exercise phys. or another related degree. If I'm going to hopefully be working with athletes, I should have an understanding of a variety of templates.

More tools in the box...
Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #46
Derek Weaver

10/4/2008 Saturday
Spent several hours today trying to hang a new pull up bar from my ceiling in my garage... in the end it didn't work out, I got pissed and now I'm going to go back at it tomorrow with the idea I had in the beginning that'll probably work better.

As such, decided to do some snatching.
Hit a (pathetic) PR of 145 lbs. Getting closer to BW, though that's going up.

Decided to hit up a metcon for some depletion work also. Going to be setting up a little dietary experiment from ideas I got from Lyle's forum.

10 DL at 135 lbs. + 10 push ups x 10 rounds = 7.57.

Rest day tomorrow and getting at it with a new job on Monday as well as mode of programming. Got a little commute for my new hire orientation, but it shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #47
Kevin Perry

The WSBB template looks pretty tempting.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #48
Derek Weaver

Yeah, it's a lot of volume though.

Surprised that he seems to be alright with, and even expects some level of GPP/ESW to be done.

We'll see how it goes. Weight needs to climb a bit more first before I get back into CFing on a more regular basis.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #49
Derek Weaver

10/6/2008 Monday
Floor Press ME for 5 @ 205 lbs.
Ring Push ups 3x6-10 reps: 10, 10, 10
Rows 4x10-15 @135 lbs.: 10, 14, 13, 12 Realized I pulled up a bit short on the first set and really got after it the next 3 sets. More focus, pull hard... it feels good. Hadn't done rows in something like 2 years.
Hang Power Clean 2x10 @ 115 lbs. Grip was killing me at this point.
KB Side Bends 3x8 @ 24 kg

Got whooped by this one today. Workout felt good though. I think it was a combination of decent, but not great sleep last night, a long commute both ways today for my first day at a new job. Commute should be much shorter in the future.

Off training topic, I am really excited about starting with a new company. The position I've got now isn't necessarily what I want to do forever (actually, I know it isn't), but the company's awesome, they reimburse $1000/year for college tuition (looking into a second degree) and it's just a great opportunity. I can already feel outlook improving over what it's been the last 6-9 months.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #50
Derek Weaver

First off, thanks again to Allen for changing my log name. Appreciate it. Now hopefully my log won't get confused with Derek Maffett's log.

10/8/2008 Wednesday
Dead lift @ 325 for 3 reps. Had more in the tank, but I was toying around a bit with sumo stance in my warm up and wasn't making big enough jumps in my warm up, ended up more gassed than anything. Slowly though, my deadlift is returning. Looking to pull 450 for a max single by February. I think it's completely doable.
Barbell Step up @ 95 lbs. 4 sets/leg 12 reps, 12, 12, 12. Breathing heavy after all that
GHR 3 sets 10 reps unweighted, 9.5 reps @ 10 lbs, 9 reps @ 10 lbs.
Grip Work: 3 one minute sets with the wrist roller. Light @ 10 lbs. but got burned up by a minute of work.

GHR's were compromised by the DL's and the step ups. May add a day of low-ish volume box squatting on Saturday considering I'm not doing any other work and I don't do much box squatting (i.e, any). We'll see how I feel and how the scale is moving along.