Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #511
Arien Malec

You keep your max (on which the %ages are calculated) constant during a cycle, then up your max for the next cycle.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:50 AM   #512
Derek Simonds

They do I meant each month. All I was trying to say was that when you are working closer to your rep max the last set numbers get really close to the required amount. For the last couple of months I have been barely eeking my last rep out on squats.

I told Gant that the rep schema is almost like a self limiting hypertrophy to strength setup. Meaning that at lower total weight you can end up hitting 10's easily on some weeks but as the weight moves up you are going to struggle just to get 1 sometimes.

My plan for this first 3 months is to increase by 10 LB's each month on each lift and I am setting my first month to be numbers 20 LB's less than where I maxed out at last time though. Hopefully this will help me push through my plateaus.

Sorry for the mis type there.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #513
Derek Weaver

Ahhh. Okay. I was a little confused there.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #514
Derek Weaver

12/25/09 Friday Christmas
Active Recovery: Wii sports. I suck at bowling but own tennis and baseball.

12/26/09 Saturday to Current 12/30/09
Getting over the stomach flu for time. Definitely not a PR on this one. I've missed 2 days of work this week and have the next few off for the holiday. Taking a while to move on here.

On a different thread, I was looking through my old entries from 13 months ago and got thoroughly depressed:
Quote:
11/29/08 Saturday
Back Squat 305x5x3
Bench Press 215x5x3
Weighted Chins 58x5x3
The bench is nothing extraordinary, nor is the squat to be honest, but compared to where I am now... geez.

I've decided that it's a good idea to actually plan training, including numbers you want/expect to hit throughout the year. The below goals are those numbers.

Squat: 1 rep max @ 350
Deadlift: 1 rep max @ 400
Bench: I'd like to hit 265 for reps again. This isn't as solid.
Press: Bodyweight (whatever it is) + 5 lbs. I'm guessing this will be something like a 175 lb press.

I've also made up my mind. I've flip flopped around different competitive athletic interests that I've done in the past and would like to get into, but they're not all realistic. I enjoyed my time fighting, but there aren't any gyms in my area and at this point, showing up to work with black eyes and the like doesn't go over as well.

I was in Europe and got to watch a few rugby games and thought that maybe, just maybe I could put on enough weight to not get destroyed. that's still a possibility, though 7s is most likely.

I'm left with powerlifting. I'm searching for a meet, but I'd like to enter one in the next calendar year, sometime in the next quarter. As soon as I can find one within a decent distance of my house I'll enter it to force adherence.

I'm going to go back to the novice programming from Practical Programming until I stall out. Then I'll be justified in using 5/3/1. My #'s right now aren't close to what they were when I was getting close to finishing my novice progression. I may not get all the way back there, but I should at least try before going to intermediate/advanced programming like that. To be clear, I'm not ditching 5/3/1, I'm just trying to get back to a point where it actually makes sense to go for something like that.

Monday- Squat, Bench/Press, Pull ups
Wednesday- Squat, bench/press, Deadlift
Friday- Squat, Bench/press, Chins

Everything is starting fairly low with the idea of making bigger jumps if necessary upfront and reducing jumps to 5/10 lbs per lift.

Squats will start at 200 x 5 x 3. Bench will start at 165 x 5 x 3. Press will start at 115 x 5 x 3. Deads will start heavy(er) @ 260

Starting on either 1/1/10 (depending on how I'm feeling) or 1/4/10, I expect to begin 5/3/1 between 2/15/10 and 3/1/10. This date relies on whether I stall or can continue to progress. 6-8 weeks should theoretically yield increases of 90-120 on the squat, hopefully ~60 on the bench, who knows on the press and I hope I can get the deadlift back to 350 x 1 x 5. I guess with the starting weights and 6-8 weeks of linear work I'd likely be more like 310-340, but we'll see.

As for bodyweight, I can't really get much bigger/heavier than 170-175. I guess the closest weight class I could go from there would be 165. The next weight class up would make me short, fat and pretty much the opposite of what I'd like.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #515
Arien Malec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
12/25/09 Friday Christmas
Active Recovery: Wii sports. I suck at bowling but own tennis and baseball.
Tennis and boxing are my faves.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Linear programming always makes sense coming back from a layoff. Start way lower than you think you should.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #516
Kevin Perry

Wii sports sounds fun, my friend was told she was obese by that little voice thing on it.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #517
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Tennis and boxing are my faves.

Sorry to hear about the illness. Linear programming always makes sense coming back from a layoff. Start way lower than you think you should.
Boxing is good too.

I jumped in on 5/3/1, got through "5" week, then got sick and had way too much time on my hands. Honestly, if I don't get sick I don't realize just how much my numbers suck now and how inappropriate it is for me at this point.

Soon though... very soon.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #518
Derek Weaver

1/3/10 Sunday
Squat 5 sets x 3 reps @ 200 lbs
Bench Press 5 sets x 3 reps @ 165
Pull Ups 3 sets max (16, 13, 11)

Notes:
- Squats felt tough on the first set and then got real easy. Wish I had video so I could see if it was a form issue or if I wasn't warmed enough before getting into working sets.
- Tired. First full day out doing stuff since I got sick. Played a round of golf then went to an awesome bar for the Chargers and Cowboys games.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #519
Derek Weaver

1/5/10 Tuesday
Squat 5 x 3 @ 210 - whoops
Press 5 x 3 @ 110
Deadlift 5 x 1 @ 260

Notes:
- Squats are interesting. My third set has been my best set each day. Gotta be something with the warm ups. Maybe improved CNS activation?
- Press felt a little heavy, then I adjusted my grip and it was easy moving.
- Deads felt great and were real easy.
- Even though I have had a couple good workouts I've realized that sitting at a desk has me feeling more beat up than the times I spent playing rugby and fighting.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #520
Arien Malec

I often have the same thing with squats. With 5 sets of 5, the easiest set is set 3...