Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #521
Derek Weaver

I'm convinced it's a combination of CNS activation and fatigue with the drop off in sets four and 5 if doing 5x5. I'm not struggling by any means at these weights, but I'm still surprised by how much easier the 3rd set is.

1/7/10 Thursday
Squat 5x3 @ 220
Bench 5x3 @ 175
Chins 3 x (12, 12, 11)

Notes:
- Looking to make bigger jumps for as long as possible on each exercise.
- The low bar position isn't happening right now. The shoulders don't have the flexibility for it.
- I keep putting "09" for the year. I should figure out it's 2010 by around mid May.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #522
Derek Weaver

1/10/10 Sunday
Squat 5 x3 @ 230
Press 5x3 @ 115
Pull Ups 3 x( 16, 16, 12)

Notes:
- Squats were good. A little slow on the first set, but I figured some stuff out with my breathing and was good. Gave my hip flexors a little more stretching and did better. Odd considering that my current shoulder mobility forces me into a more high bar position, requiring more quad dominance.
- Don't know what was up with the pull ups. If I could get 15 on that last set I'd throw on the weight belt.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #523
Derek Weaver

1/12/10 Tuesday
Squat 5x3 @ 240
Bench Press 5x3 @ 185
Deadlift 5x1 @ 270

Notes:
- Took a few singles @ 225 trying to wake the CNS up. I felt better doing this. I'm convinced that after a stressful day at work (which is every freaking day) I tend to crash and need to come back around. It'll be a little tricky as the weights push back up towards 300 on the Squat.
- Bench was not a problem. I may not suck after all at benching anymore. Still a ways to go though.
- If anyone wants to see possible the best video of a hip prep check this out: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C..._HipPrePRE.wmv
Possibly the best video CF has had up there in a while. Coincidence that Kelly Starrett was the presnter? Absolutely not. Consistently solid stuff from the SF CF guys.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #524
Arien Malec

Hey, why's your DL so close to your squat? Better levers for squat?
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM   #525
Derek Weaver

Eh, kinda. Last year when I was doing this I was only about 50 lbs above my squat. Part of it is the long hours sitting. I'm practically chained to my desk at work. I think the DL will pull away as the squat has to be reset.

I'm not anywhere close to missing reps on the deadlift. not close yet on the squat either, but if I get to 300x5x3 without a reset this time around I'll be surprised.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #526
Derek Simonds

Stress its whats for dinner... I know the feeling, seems to be a lot of it at my work right now also. Your progression is looking good.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #527
Derek Weaver

1/14/10 Thursday
Mom's Birthday. Took an out of order rest day. Can't blow off a birthday dinner to do squats.

1/15/10 Friday
No workout. Back spasms all through work today. No good. High stress causes my back to seize up. I need some meditation or something.

Notes:
- I am actually going to move to a little of conditioning primarily because I'm appying for a job that's going to require it. If I don't even get to the physical test then it won't matter. I'm going to hit the kind of semi strength, semi conditioning program from 70s big a while ago. After today I made up my mind that I have to take action to make things better, cause my current employment situation isn't going to ease the stress anytime soon. I still will continue with a linear progression as long as possible. I may even be able to eek it out a while longer with fewer workouts per week. I'm guessing that I'll end up with similar progress over longer period though.
Monday — Squat, Press, Power Clean
Tuesday — Chin-ups, Conditioning
Wednesday — OFF
Thursday — Squat, Bench, Deadlift
Friday — Conditioning

If I don't even get to the testing portion then I'll get back to 3 days/week with no conditioning until I max out my progression.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #528
Kevin Perry

That's a good plan Derek, good luck with the job situation.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #529
Arien Malec

For what it's worth, my advice would be to continue linear progression until it stops and add conditioning when you go to 5/3/1. The recovery from linear progression is difficult enough to prioritize that direction. 5/3/1 provides a good framework (e.g., adding or dropping accessory work) for making progress both in conditioning and strength while getting recovery.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #530
Derek Weaver

I can't really do that. The schedule I pointed out is the compromise I have to make until I figure out this job