Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #51
Derek Simonds

Or the other Derek's log with a really long name.

I was actually going to post and ask you how you changed the name or your log. I have tried several times unsuccessfully and never thought to ask one of the all powerful and omnipotent moderators to change it for me.

BTW your training looks great!

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM   #52
Kevin Perry

hmm three Dereks.

Tripple D's

oh.. does not have the same ring to it as Double D's
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #53
Derek Weaver

Cool

Derek,
First, great name. Like the spelling. Second, thanks for the kind words on the training. I really overdieted and overdid the metcon and become quite solid, yet weak. DL'd just shy of 400 a year ago, now I'm looking at a triple in the low-mid 300's and just get pissed.

A 450 DL is the short to mid term goal. I've been flip flopping for a while, but the one key goal is the dead lift. Minimal oly-lifting, minimal metcon (probably not any for the next few weeks ), lots of hypers, ghr's and deadlifting once/week. I'm also eating like a horse (averaging about 1500 calories over maintenance lately). Abs can come back later.

P.S. I've peeked into your training log. It looks like you're definitely enjoying the ride.

Kevin,
Triple D's isn't quite as nice in this context as Double D's. Three Derek's on one board is a luxury, you should all consider yourselves blessed
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #54
Derek Weaver

10/10/2008 Friday
Push ups: Max 3 sets at 60 seconds rest. 40, 32, 30
Skull Crushers @ 70 lbs. 8, 8, 8, 8. Didn't have much more than 8 in me at any point.
Pull ups 3 sets 8-12 reps: 12, 11, 9. I've got more in me than 12 deadhangs, but after my first set of dead hang pull ups I just gas. It's strange. Kipping doesn't do that to me nearly the same way.
Modified Bradford Press @ 95 lbs. 8, 8, 8. Felt fine, definitely struggled for those last 3 reps or so on the last set.
One arm hammer curl 45 lbs.: 10, 10, 10 (both arms).
Ab Circuit.

Overall... I didn't enjoy this day in the least. I really just prefer working with all compound movements and bigger strength moves. Hypertrophy training certainly has its place, but after the last couple of years of training, it's lost its luster for me. I used to be a decent lifter in the beach lifts. Near 300 lbs. bench, 205 sitting barbell press (not really done correctly from a rack position, but I could push some weight) etc. etc. Now I feel like a fish out of water and don't like doing these exercises.

Strange. It's not long though that I can cap this experiment and move on to something more sustainable. This is more of an experiment than anything. Fixing some imbalances (more like alleviating with a short application of the program) won't hurt, and working out less is good for the weight gain. Up about 5 lbs. in a couple weeks. I'll shut down the weight gain around 170 or so and go with more of a "recomp" approach.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:24 AM   #55
George Mounce

DW,

I recently got the 450 DL. My problem was the same as yours, more meat on the bones. I hung out at 435 for a long time, just had to add some muscle to the mix. Course I was at 182 doing that DL. For you its going to be amazing to do it at your weight.

Just curious as to why you did what you did today. I got bigger and more badass by working supplemental exercises or the main exercises for the big 3. You are a smart dude though, I know you have a good reason.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #56
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
DW,

I recently got the 450 DL. My problem was the same as yours, more meat on the bones. I hung out at 435 for a long time, just had to add some muscle to the mix. Course I was at 182 doing that DL. For you its going to be amazing to do it at your weight.

Just curious as to why you did what you did today. I got bigger and more badass by working supplemental exercises or the main exercises for the big 3. You are a smart dude though, I know you have a good reason.
George,
I'm more in an experimenting phase right now. I don't think it's going to last beyond 4 weeks or so. It's called "Westside for Skinny Bastards". It's a training template written by Joe DeFranco. Pretty legit guy from what I can tell. Works with a lot of athletes, but it seems he may be in the same vein as a Poliquin, who amazes me at times with his level of genius and ensuing stupidity. I actually think DeFranco "gets it" more than Poliquin does in terms of what athletes actually need as opposed to what body builders need.

I'm only doing the template so I can have a better understanding of a variety of approaches. It's only been a week, but I'm thinking that this isn't one I'd use with athletes needing to add weight and strength. Only way to know is to try it though, right?

With the DL, I think I can do it. I've got a decent build for deadlifting and have adjusted my start position and am now over the bar a bit more. More meat on the bones is definitely needed. For me, at 5'6", if I achieve decent body composition in the low 170's the levers should work nicely.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #57
Derek Weaver

10/13/2008 ME Upper Body
ME Bench Press 5 rm @ 205: Odd today. I couldn't move anything on the floor press, but in my warm up, I was on the bench and felt good, so I went back to the bench. I used to be a pretty good bencher moving 260 for 6 reps. Odd how things change as priorities evolve.
Ring Push ups 3x6-10 reps: 10, 10, 10. Feet same height as hands. Felt good, reduced rest by 15 seconds to 90 secs. to compensate for lack of additional loading.
Rows 4x10-15 reps @ 145 15, 13, 10, 10. Struggled the last 2 sets to make ten reps. Definitely not used to high rep pulling like this. Even with all the extra food, I was tapped out by the 6th or 7th rep and it became more about grit than strength.
Hang Power Clean 2x10 @ 125 Grip is the limiting factor here. After the other work I was spent. I am definitely capable of moving more weight for more reps, but work capacity is failing here.
KB Side Bend 3x10 @ 24 kg Added 2 reps/side as I didn't feel like loading a BB or DB. Felt fine.

I've got a few thoughts racing through my head. One is that I don't like this template, and likely won't finish the 4 weeks on it. I'm just not a fan of the split approach here. Even on the lower volume approach here, it's just not what I'm into anymore. Gotta have fun.

Now it becomes what to do. I could go the SS route, but benching is an issue for me as I usually am by myself when I train and safety takes precedence over numbers. Also, over time benching destroys my elbows and my surgically repaired shoulder tends to act up a bit as well.

Perhaps a hybrid approach would be in order... maybe MEBB again. To be honest, I'm not enjoying eating for mass. I used to love to eat big, and at one time I was "bodybuilder" big at almost 185 lbs. at 5'6" and pretty solid (sub 15% bf, outline of abs). This isn't the case anymore. I know I need a little more meat on the bones, and as soon as I break into the low to mid 170's (sitting around 165 now) I'll be changing my approach.

Also, I'm planning on going back and working towards my black belt in Krav Maga. I was spending 5-6 days/week training in Muay Thai and Krav Maga, but enjoyed Krav so much more. Best self defense system out there for those who are curious. It's a matter of when though as I need to finish mass gain first. Conditioning is easy to attain compared to mass (we all know that). I should be far more powerful as well.

Lots of stuff to think about as this week moves along. I'll lay out some sort of a schedule later this week and put it up for comments and suggestions.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #58
Kevin Perry

What is your ideal weight your shooting for? Just around mid 170's? A guy in my class is your height and he sits at 205, insane. Im just slowly gonna work towards 170.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #59
Derek Weaver

I'm looking for 170-175. Obviously I'd like to get there as quickly as possible, but the faster weight gain typically would result in sloppier body comp.

It's amazing how IF, Zone (not much of a zoner anymore), Paleo, "eating as hunger dictates" really changes your perception of food. Eating for mass used to be fun as hell... now it's a chore and takes away from the fun of life.

I'm assuming that in the mid 170's or so the levers should work nicely and the deadlift should rocket. I've come to fully believe that deadlifts are the most important lift one can do. Squats are pretty awesome too.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 AM   #60
Allen Yeh

Hybrid program? I enjoyed my time using the template as it was very loosely based although I was rehabbing my arm at the time.

1. gymnastic stuff as a warmup ~10 minutes
2. Oly lifts ~15 minutes
3. slow lifts ~15 minutes
4. metcon if needed
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote