Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #61
Derek Weaver

That could definitely work Allen. I'm toying with a few ideas at the moment. Something more along the lines of 2 days/week devoted to the slow lifts... 1-3 days/week devoted to bodyweight metcon with other days devoted to gymnastics progressions.

So it may look like
M- Metcon
T- Lifting (2-3 lifts)
W- Gymnastics/metcon
Th- Rest
F-Lifting
S- (Optional) Metcon/Gymnastics
Su- Rest

Just something I'm thinking about. The final decision may be completely different.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #62
Allen Yeh

You wanted to get up to 170+ right? Why not more slow lift days and less metcon days?
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #63
Derek Weaver

Whoa, obvious oversight on my part in a late night post. That's more what my program may look like as I condition before getting back into Krav.

I think I'll be setting up some sort of intermediate-beginner program. Looking to figure out whether or not I've exhausted linear progression on squats and presses or if I just wasn't eating enough. From there I'll know what the rest will look like.

After my weight is up, I can focus on body comp. again (all in all I figure I'll likely put on something like 5-8 lbs. of lbm) and weight should stabilize in the low mid 160's to low 170's. I'm only 5'6" so that's plenty heavy.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:16 PM   #64
Derek Weaver

10/15/2008 Wednesday
Max Effort Lower Body
Dead Lift 3RM @ 335. Made a 10 lb. jump. Indicating that last week was an aberration on the low side and that this week I'm still messing up my warm up and not leaving enough in the tank for my ME set.
Barbell Step up @ 105 lbs. 12/legx4 sets. Felt good. Completely spent afterwards. These are an awesome exercise. I think I saw once that the guys at Gym Jones will occasionally do them as part of a breathing ladder. That's freaking sadistic.
GHR 3x6-10 with 15 lbs. on the Chest: 8, 8, 7 I love these. Besides reverse hypers these may be the best assistance exercise for the deadlift out there. Awesome.
Grip Training: 3 timed sets of dead hang from pull up bar, no chalk. 1.06, .51, .42. Grip was torn up after the deadlifts.

Good training session. Definitely my favorite day on this template.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #65
Kevin Perry

Strong Deadlift. How did you perform the step ups? on a step bench or box?
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #66
Derek Weaver

Step ups were done on a box. I wouldn't go too heavy or too high on a box with the step ups. Enough to blow up the legs and hips, but not so much you're searching for the ground when you step down. Good exercise.

Deadlift is still pissing me off to be honest. I think at this point I have more like 6-7 reps on that weight if I warm up properly (not too much like the last two weeks) and a 5rm more around 350+/-.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #67
Brian Lau

What's your warm-up on the DL like? I find that keeping the total number of warm-up lifts to under 5 reps (usually 2 sets of doubles) was plenty of warm-up for a single heavy set of 5 reps. But then again, I like to DL at the end of a session when I'm plenty warmed-up.
Brian Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #68
Derek Weaver

Yeah, on this template I am leading off with DL's.

I think what I need to do is more of a full body warm up, perhaps the CF warm up x2 or 3, then move onto my dl warm up and keep it low, 3 warm up sets all under 5 reps.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #69
Derek Weaver

10/17/2008 Friday
Push Up Max Reps x3 (60 seconds rest):43, 28, 25
Skull Crushers 3x8-10 @ 75 lbs.: 8, 8, 8
Pull ups (dead hang) 3x8-12: 15, 12, 12
Modified Bradford 3x10 @ 95 lbs.: 10, 10, 10
One Arm Hammer Curl 2x8-10@ 45 lbs.: 10, 10 (left); 10, 10 (right)

I've got a lot of thoughts still running through my head. One is that my body doesn't seem to enjoy putting weight on anymore. Back in the day I loved over eating. Now, I can still eat a lot, but I dont' enjoy stuffing down 4000+ calories/day. It's a dilemma as well. I don't enjoy this template and am definitely dumping it. Not out of boredom, but because I think it's not as effective as working the "core" lifts: squats, deads, presses, power snatches and cleans etc.

I want to finish mass gaining just because I am still well short of my goal of minimum 170 lbs. sitting around 165 or so right now. However, how much mass do I need to get much stronger? If body comp is dialed in to 8-10% bodyfat at 160-165 at my height of 5'6" I should have plenty of meat on the bones right?

Also, how much mass do I need if my athletic goal is to go back to work on my black belt in Krav Maga (which I am years away from by the way. It's not like I stopped just short)? More strength is good, but how much speed would I sacrifice?

I'm going to relax for the weekend and figure this all out tomorrow night when I have a clearer head. I have a feeling I'm more frustrated than anything. Too indecisive these last few months. I always warn people against training ADD, which I am dreadfully guilty of right now.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #70
Derek Weaver

10/20/2008 Monday
Squat 225 lbsx5repsx3 sets
Press 120x5x3
Power Clean 135x5x3
BFK Pull up 1xfailure (18)

Dumped that WSBB For Skinny Bastards. Thought it kinda sucked. I set up a novice routine, pretty much SS. I'll reset once or twice and then switch it up to move into more conditioning once I get started up with Krav Maga again. At this point, every goal is about improving my deadlift. I want to clear 400 lbs. with plenty of room to spare with the goal still being 450, though that's going to take some tweaking in all likelihood.

Much better mood today. The other day was just a rough, funky day. Great day at work, still enjoying the new job.

Been a bit of a roller coaster ride. Between the economy, new job, trying to figure out exactly why I'm training and for what is interesting too.

What I need to do is.... chill out. Gotta remember this.