Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Brandon Oto

Yep, this is basically the pattern I followed. The sprints are exclusively meant as speed training (well, you can use them as conditioning too, but as you can see that stuff is programmed and scheduled differently). They're meant to be low enough in volume that they don't mess you up much for the lifting; if they are conflicting, then they should be reduced. (For athletes trying sprints for the first time, this may indeed be difficult, and cutting down is fine.) But in most cases, at least, I'd rather you reduce the sprints than cut your strength session in half, according to the hierarchy of priority.
Brandon Oto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Brandon Oto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Like Allen I'd be interested to see who is doing what and what results.
Ran into someone else who looks to have just picked it up here.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Chris Wood

Default Brandon, you're right inside my head

I came to post and let you know that I was starting your program. Thanks for finding me out.

I would consider myself an "intermediate" trainee with the following vitals:

36 yo, 5'11", 170 lb

CFT 835 (DL 405, squat 280, press 150)
C&J 185
Snatch 135
Fran 5:40
Helen 9:45
Cindy 21 rounds

I've lurked around here for a while, and after some discussion with my fellow trainees at TitanFit, stumbled upon your program and Gant's. I liked the template you proposed, and the flexibility in choosing the skill work. I also like the set up with 2 short MetCons and 1 longer MetCon, in addition to the O-lift and strength work. I'm looking forward to see how things progress over the next couple of months.

Thanks for putting this out, Brandon.
Chris Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
Brandon Oto

Thanks Chris.

Here's another tester's log (Ger): http://fit2fence.blogspot.com/

He found the volume difficult (for time/recovery/equipment), otherwise enjoyable. He'll still be doing his version until he's back in season.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #15
Tirzah Harper

Default feedback

finally, some feedback from me...

I did this for about two weeks, roughly, modified.
It's too much time for me, for one thing - on a GOOD day I have an hour in the gym - and too much metcon, but that's specific to my adrenal/stress issues.
I liked the direct inclusion of specific drill/skill learning work; I didn't take it as far as I probably could have due to general self-consciousness.

The sprint work was fun, but left me SHOT for lifting afterwards. I'm not sure if pre- or post-lifting would be better.

Also, I had to read through the whole thing about three times before feeling like I knew what I was going to be doing!

Conclusion: It's not a bad program, but it's not right for me at this point. I'd recommend it to my oldest stepson, who's 17 with time and energy coming out his ears, or anyone else with more time and energy in the gym than me.
Tirzah Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
Brandon Oto

Thanks Tirzah. Sounds about right.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #17
Blair Lowe

Part of me is elitist and phite and thinks along the lines that if you cannot figure it all out because it is vague, it's ok because you probably shouldn't be doing it yourself. It is dizzying to read. Do you want to have a gymnastics lean, sprinting, lean, PL lean, OL lean, hell endurance lean. It all gets really complicated and perhaps that is a good thing. However, templates could be made, I guess.

I would prefer to sprint, oly lift, or power lift, but never mixed. I don't mind running after lifting, but not to efficiently work on sprinting with the intent to improve.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #18
Brandon Oto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Lowe View Post
Do you want to have a gymnastics lean, sprinting, lean, PL lean, OL lean, hell endurance lean. It all gets really complicated and perhaps that is a good thing.
Yes. One of the things I'm trying to do is list customizations that worked well for people. I gave some vague ideas on the front page (including all of the above except gymnastics and sprinting) but those aren't tested, just general notions following the underlying theory, and more ideas based on empirical feedback will continue to be necessary to see what works.

Quote:
I would prefer to sprint, oly lift, or power lift, but never mixed. I don't mind running after lifting, but not to efficiently work on sprinting with the intent to improve.
Is this just the ex-track athlete in you speaking? I'll readily acknowledge that a decent sprinter won't be able to progress under these conditions, but I'd imagine that an all-arounder, especially one without much sprinting experience (e.g. CFers), could get much further along.

I could be wrong. The sprinting component has caused the most trouble so far overall.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #19
Craig Loizides

Whenever possible I do my running and lifting in separate workouts. My preference is lifting during lunch and running after work.
Craig Loizides is offline   Reply With Quote