Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Equipment

Old 07-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
R. Alan Hester

Default De Vany DVDs

Who is in?
http://www.arthurdevany.com/?p=1171

They are selling like hotcakes. For the low price of 125, you can learn to add 5lbs of lean muscle in 2 weeks.

His marketing guy is good. Create scarcity by only releasing 100 copies to discover the price, then hold the price there and produce them by the hundreds. Does not hurt to promise 5lbs lean mass gain either.
"One of my subscription blog readers has it right. We don’t know what the DVDs are worth and, being an economist, we are discovering the price through an auction. It does look like $125 is about right, but we shall see. I am not running the auction, my marketing guy is. There is nothing dishonest about an auction, it is universally considered to be the most informative and non-manipulable mechanism for price discovery.

The DVDs will go up onto the store at a more or less fixed price when the store is up and the auction is finished.

I am back up to 200 pounds again. I put on 5 pounds of muscle in two weeks, maybe a bit more because I did lean out a little.

It was easy. I put the technology I used on my private blog."
R. Alan Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

He had a shot at maybe $29-$39....$125? Really? Does his marketing guy really know the internet market and flood of fitness information out there?? Charging $125 for everything one can find on the internet for free somewhere?? Is he going to tell me anything new about eating real foods? Doubt it. Anything new about his magic workout scheme? Don't use machines anyways....so it won't matter. I used to like his blog....and would of bought something for $29....but apparently his new sales and marketing department thinks he can pull in millions.....Good luck....not in. That and already removed him from RSS feeds because he hasn't been doing anything worthwhile in a long time. Best of luck Art, nothing wrong with trying to make money for good material people can benefit from.....but I will pass. He'll make his money on his loyal reader following....after that, good luck dealing with the general internet user and trying to sell them something for $125. Hope he also gets to sell his dirt bikes.

Quote:
One of my subscription blog readers has it right. We don’t know what the DVDs are worth and, being an economist, we are discovering the price through an auction.
and oh yeah.....huh??? Economists and fitness information? I don't get that at all. Books and DVDs are $19-$29....take a trip to Barnes and Noble to figure that one out.

Last edited by Mike ODonnell : 07-30-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Derek Weaver

I have to be honest... I'm really, really sick of Devany.

I hope he does well, because it's not like I want to see anyone fail. However, I won't be helping him succeed. I pretty much stopped tuning in about 6 months ago.

Used to have a good take on things, lately the arrogance has boiled over... evidenced by $129 DVDs.

5 lbs. in 2 weeks does sound nice though.....
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

Yeah I'm over Art as well. Everything he posts these days is about money in some form or another. Tired of hearing it. Whats so great anyway about a modern day scientist who claims to look like a "Cro-Magnon ancestor from the Paleolithic" disguised as a bodybuilder (10 reps of dumbell curls, man!) following a surf-and-turf version of the paleo diet?

Besides, I'm sorry but he is bit too monotone and dry to sit and listen to for 3 hours.
100,000 generations of humans have been hunters and gatherers; 500 generations have been agriculturalists; ten have lived in the industrial age; and only one has been exposed to the world of computers.

Steve's Club
Crossfit Tribe
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
5 lbs. in 2 weeks does sound nice though.....
It's the internet....have to adjust for exageration and then it becomes in reality 2lbs in 5weeks.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
John Alston

What else could he add? His blog is years old. The info is all there. His basic workouts are decent in principle. I like both the hierarchical sets and the alactic trainign (second being kind of a rest-pause). I feel I got good strength out of them, working up to a weighted pullup of 80lb (half bdwt at the time) pretty fast using his method. It's also nicely efficient, esp when you skip his concentration curls. It can also make a crappy machine only gym somewhat stimulating if you need to (hotel).
But any money for more info is a waste. The free pdf he's had up there says it all. The DVD is just more handholding.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Derek Weaver

That's a good point Steve that a modern day scientist bragging about looking like a cave man seems odd.

I was just being sarcastic about the 5 lbs. in 2 weeks thing.

John said it nicely as well, that the pdf said it all in the beginning. I feel like the rest is manipulated science at best to keep the followers in tow.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Yep, I knew Devany was going down hill when he created his "private" blog only to be available to his loyal following.......at the right price of course. I hardly ever visit his site anymore, MDA is far superior and the delivery is more tolerable. Everything Devany has to offer is on his free blog.

I'm really looking forward to Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint book. Based on what he's offered on his blog, his book will probably be the definitive bible of Paleo living.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Fitness is really quite simple....the hard part is trying to figure a way to keep blogging about it and talk for years about the same message of how to "eat meat, veggies and lift something heavy".

Not an easy market to sell simple strategies while trying to maintain interest of people over a long period of time....I know this to be true on my blog....

But he's kidding himself if he thinks a good internet strategy is to charge for a private blog (which no blogs or forums are private) and sell a DVD for over $100....for an economist he knows very little about the internet market of free information.....he may make his money up front from people already sold on it right now, but after that....no one is really going to jump on board when there is so much else out there for free.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Derek Weaver

I didn't realize Mark Sisson was going to have a Primal Blueprint book. Now that's one I could pay for.

I found out about Mark through Scott Kustes' blog and immediately put him on RSS feeds. Good stuff, makes more sense and like Greg said, much more tolerable delivery.