Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
Cody Dodd

Default Novice Training Help

I am looking to build a strong gymnastic body without weight training. Could anyone suggest some bodyweight routines I can do to build strength? As I said I don't want or have access to weights, but I do have a pullup bar, rings, and a place to run. I would like to incorporate some HIIT at least 3x a week. Mon-Tue+Thurs-Fri works well for me. My aim is to become well balanced, agile, and strong, Doing gymnastic skills is a plus but not exactly my goal, I am not trying to compete or anything.

I am 5'10" and a slim 125lbs. I can do all the regular calisthenics (pushups, pullups, situps, etc.) decently, but all the levers, pistols, planches, etc. are tough. How can I build up to these? Thanks in advance.
Cody Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Derek Simonds

I would probably check out Coach Sommers forum

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum.html

Loads of good programming information over there.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I would strongly suggest reading this:
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/wfor...php?f=1&t=1037

I made some programming suggestions in the strength section.. however, most of the stuff I have made in the past people have burned out on. Thus, I would encourage something a little more toned down if you're going to take that route.

Figure out what you want to do first.. and where you are now (progressions, weights, etc.). Then we can figure something out.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Cody Dodd

Default My Goals

100 push ups (20-30atm)
100 pull ups (10atm)
Handstands
Handstand push ups
Handstand walking
L-Seat
Pistol
Muscle ups
Flag
Front Lever
Back Lever
Leg lifts

I'm not sure what is a good quantity to set for most of them as a goal... This may be a bit idealistic; but I have plenty of time
Old 09-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Hmm, most of those goals aren't really geared towards strength at all. Mostly skill work..

Also, if you haven't, read the link.

I would recommend picking ~2 goals for each of pushing, pulling and legs and then working them into a routine. Handstand work as well as L-sits are skill work and should be done 4-6 days a week for a couple minutes total (build up to that). Uh, leg lifts can be put at the end. Other than that, most of the other stuff falls under the ~2 exercises of each you can choose. At least that's how I like structuring my workouts.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #6
Cody Dodd

I guess its not technically strength work. Specifically I want a good strength to weight ratio, and I see these type of skills and the work it takes to do them as getting stronger without building weight.

Should I go one day pushing, next pulling, legs, etc or would I overtrain by doing a bit of each everyday? Are there anybooks that focus on this type of workout? Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Steven Low
Super Moderator

100 pushups won't do anything for your strength.. nor will 100 pullups. Those are pretty lofty and they will interfere with developing strength.

Do them all everyday. I train 5 days a week strength everyday and you can too. Start off with 3 and work your way up. Gotta keep volume lower (maybe 3x5 each exercise max for you).

No books yet.. that's why I want you to read that link because it's basic stuff you generally need to know.

edit: basically what I am saying with strength work vs. endurance is that once you get to a certain point pushups and pullups do nothing for you. I don't really do them at all anymore as serious work as can still get 20 pullups about about 50 pushups. I have started working the harder bodyweight skills such as planche pushups as well as cross work and now one arm chinup stuff and things of that nature.

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-13-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Cody Dodd

Hey man that was a good article. Thanks for your help again.