Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Allen Ingle

Question IF for Skinnies

So, I've read over the this forum, IFlife, leangains, and a couple of other websites on Intermittent Fasting that I found on google and I still have a couple questions but before I get to that let me give a rundown of my stats/situation:

I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. I used to swim competitively but since I've started college and a job I find I no longer have the time to commit to 2 or 3 hours practice everyday. I would like to include high intensity running sprints and swimming sprint interval training into an exercise regime that includes lifting weights and focuses primarily on gaining lean muscle mass. I don't really have any use for shedding pounds because if I shed too much more I won't be visible to the naked eye .

I've always held an interest in nutrition and exercise and actually already have "the paleo diet for athletes" on my book shelf (yes I've read it :P ). From casual reading about building muscle mass I've ascertained that you cant add mass without taking in more calories than you expend.

The best I can figure, to reach a calorie surplus I need to be eating as much of the following as I can:

Meat Steak, Tuna, Salmon, Cod, Tilapia, other fish
Eggs Boiled, Fried, Dried Powder
Fruit Cherries, Grapefruit, Oranges, Apples, Plum, Peaches, Pears
Vegetables Broccoli, Spinach, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Collard Greens, Carrots
Nuts - Macadamia, Almond, Pecans, Pistachios
Berries - Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries
Oils Fish oil, Extra Virgin Olive oil

And I need to stay away from carbohydrates as much as possible (with the exception of the post workout window where I could benefit from a few helpings of high glycemic carbs: oatmeal, baked potato, sweet potato, etc.)

I've got a set of kettlebells at home and access to the local air force base gym. I already go 3 times a week and its just a matter of switching my workouts to primarily compound movement exercises and re-adjusting to 5x5, 3x8, 3x10, etc sets and upping the intensity... alot.

At this point I've been considering the leangains approach of 16 Fast/ 8 Feed and its just a matter of playing with my total calories to get where I need to be.

My questions are:

1) Does it sound like I'm on the right track?
2) Is IF/leangains in combination with a paleo diet going to help me gain weight and muscle mass if I take in surplus calories?
3) If surplus calories are required to gain muscle mass,how does this principle not conflict with the benefits of a calorie restricted diet? Does the 16 hours of fasting allow me to maintain the benefits of a calorie restricted diet?
4) I've read hundreds of times to eat vegetables, vegetables, vegetables ESPECIALLY broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage; how does this not completely throw the low-carb idea right out the window? Aren't all those vegetables packed with carbs?
5) Do I have the right idea as far as reserving the high glycemic index carbs for the meal immediately post workout in order to take advantage of my increased insulin sensitivity (or is it resistivity?) that IF allows for?

My primary concern is mainly that its seems most people are trying to lose weight and the discussions seem tailored to them. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to reach my goals using IF like everyone else has.

Thanks much. -Allen
Allen Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Weight gain is all about calories....whether IF, eating 6x a day, or whatever eating schedule you have. If you can fit in 4000-5000 calories while doing IF you will probably gain weight. Eat a ton, and get plenty of healthy fats as they up the calories faster than carbs or protein. Don't overthink it...you have the right idea above....just implement and see what happens. If you are not gaining lbs, eat more calories, up the protein....then re-evaluate. It's that simple.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Ben Moskowitz

I'm pretty sure carbs are needed for the muscle-building process at some point. You can run the option of cycling your carbs in an effort to bulk cleaner, however. It's still gonna be a lot either way.

Broccoli is not packed with carbs, kinda the opposite really. Yes it's a plant, but you're not getting much caloric or insulin load. They're fine for low-carb times. Yams/sweet potatoes would be the better high-carb choice.
Ben Moskowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Moskowitz View Post
I'm pretty sure carbs are needed for the muscle-building process at some point. You can run the option of cycling your carbs in an effort to bulk cleaner, however. It's still gonna be a lot either way.

Broccoli is not packed with carbs, kinda the opposite really. Yes it's a plant, but you're not getting much caloric or insulin load. They're fine for low-carb times. Yams/sweet potatoes would be the better high-carb choice.
Bout time you posted, I was wondering what happened to you.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Ben:

Carbs are not needed.. but cycling does tend to produce good/better results (because of ghrelin & leptin).

Lyle McDonald has a series of posts on Leptin right now if you wanna check it out:
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/blog/
Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #6
Allen Ingle

thanks. I've decided to opt out of the paleo diet for now but still maintain the IF protocol. I think that would be the easiest method of working this new eating habit into my life without overdoing it. Perhaps I'll shift over to paleo later on.

Anyway I found alot of useful information over at the bodybuilding.com forum... as a matter of fact 119 pages of discussion, questions and answers.... check it out!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3587831
Allen Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote