Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Olympic Weightlifting

Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Brandon Enos

Default Sacrificing Deadlift Numbers

If one were to take deadlifting out of their program for ~2 months or so, but were rotating cleans and snatches (ie Day A was clean, Day B was snatch). Do you believe they would see any significant loss in pounds when returning to deadlifts? If so, how much would you guess?

Here's a rough draft of the program Im putting together (note this is going to be after I get done with the ME Black Box variant Im on right now and the exercises are in no particualr order yet):

Done Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

A Day -
Back Squat
Bench Press
Chinup
Clean

B Day -
Front Squat
Standing Press
Pullup
Snatch

Followed by abdominal and grip work.

And yes, I did get the base template from SS, but modified it a bit based on my goals.

I dont really need deadlifting in my program right now with my goals, but at the same time, dont want to see any significant loss in numbers when I go back.
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #2
John Alston

Hard to say without your numbers. Is your clean way lower than you dl? If so, you might lose some dl simply b/c you are never pulling heavy, for example.

Anyway, if your goals aren't dl dependent, stoppy worrying about your dl for now.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
John Alston

Also, I'd not use the order of exercises, personally. High skill moves come first in my book, before any fatigue sets in.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Kelly Frankson

I've just been focussing on O-lifts since December, each week my training will typically look something like this:

Session 1:
Snatches
Rack Jerks
Back Squats
Snatch pulls

Session 2:
Power Snatches
Power Cleans
Back Squats
Snatch pulls

Session 3:
Clean and jerks
Power Snatches from blocks
Front Squats
Clean pulls

Session 4:
Snatches
Clean and Jerks
Back Squats
Snatch pulls

And then I'll also do Back extensions, GHSP, Weighted overhead abmat situps, rolling medball situps, planks and other core type stuff atleast 3 times a week and then plyometric stuff twice a week.

I haven't touched deadlifts since November and just re did my max today for fun and got 270kg (a new pb by 10lbs)-to give you an idea of where its at in relation to my clean and snatch pulls, typically the clean pulls are done at 85kg and snatch pulls at 65kgs.

So laying off deadlifts didnt hurt mine at all, but I think that has more to do with the strength my core has gained than anything else.

kel
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Yeah, frankly at least doing some form of oly (speed lifts) should at the very least keep your lift numbers up unless you have an elite deadlift... then you might lose some strength.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
John Alston

Since your fast pulls are so much lighter, you might lose some dl number if you neglect any heavy pulls, maybe not. Again, if it ain't central to your goal, stop worrying.
I'd still do back squats after pulls. 2 limb exercises after 4 limb exercises. But thats just me and Dr. Hewie.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Brandon Enos

To answer the first post, my deadlift is unimpresive at 275 last time I checked my 1RM about a month and a hlaf ago. That's one reason Im worried about it, its so low, but like you said, its doesnt fit my current goals so I shouldnt worry.

As far as order goes. Does the thing about Oly work coming first still apply if its power cleans/snatches versus regular cleans/snatches?
Brandon Enos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

I would definitely put "explosive" exercises first.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
John Alston

Agreeing with Allen.
Work that requires more percision before lower skilled work.
Explosive work before slower work.
Full body before body partitions.
Just general principles I tend to follow.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Agreed. I know Rip puts the power cleans after the squats in his workout well mainly cause his workout is after mass gain and not good skilled work with oly (and it is power cleans which are somewhat less technical anyway).
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote