Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Robb Wolf

Second what Steve said. I have found this combo to be almost yummy:
1can coconut milk
protein powder (I've used egg...not tasty but what can you do for the dairy impaired?)
2 tblspns coco powder
dash of stevia
almond butter for some "substance".

This is ~1,000cals. 20 rep squat program anyone?

Scot- When TJ's came to Chico my quality of life improved 79.8% Approximately.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #12
Mike Minium

While we're discussing coconut milk...

For you TJ's shoppers out there, when you say you get your coconut milk from TJ's, are you talking about the Light Coconut Milk that comes in a green can?

That's the kind I get, but I'm bummed because it has only half of the fat content of normal coconut milk (I need as much fat as I can get). I lose out on 250 calories with each can I use.

Is there another type of coconut milk they sell at TJ's, like regular (fattier) coconut milk? I haven't been able to find it if so.
Mike Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
Greg Everett
Administrator

I haven't seen the real coconut milk at TJ's. I used to get mine at FoodMaxx (I would take the whole box). Cheaper and with all the fat!

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Pierre Auge

People must read this stuff and think "THESE PEOPLE A WACKED! Not enough fat content? More fat? WTF?"

Ahead of your time boys!

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Pierre Auge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
Michael Hill

I looked on the label of my coconut milk (Wild Oats store brand) and it reads 5 grams of CHO per serving, giving me 30 grams per can. If you add some almond butter (3) and coco (2), this brings the total CHO in the shake to about 35 grams. If I remember my arithmetic correctly that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for green stuff on a 50-60 gram CHO limit.

Are the labels wrong? The only ingredients are coconut milk and guar gum. Or am I just worrying about nothing? BTW, I'm following a cyclical low carb diet, hence the 50-60 g limit.

Thanks for any help.
Michael Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #16
Pierre Auge

Robb, you and Mary Dan Eades just inspired perhaps the greatest breakthrough in Paleo Meal replacement EVER!

Ref. http://www.proteinpower.com/drmd/archives/2005/12/

Homemade Custard-Style EggNog

1 Can Coconut Milk (~2 Cups)
8 whole eggs
3/4 cup granular Splenda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated if possible)

1. Heat coconut milk over medium low heat in a heavy pan.
2. Separate the whites from 2 of the eggs and refrigerate and reserve to whip later.
3. Beat the 2 yolks and 6 whole eggs with the granular Splenda until pale yellow.
4. Temper the egg mixture (to prevent curdling) with about 1 cup of the hot cream, dribbling in a bit at a time as you beat with a whisk.
5. Pour the tempered egg mixture into the remaining hot coconut milk and stir continuously over medium low heat for about 4 or 5 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken very slightly and will just coat the back of a spoon.
6. Strain through a mesh seive to remove any lumps or clumps.
7. Stir in the nutmeg, the vanilla, and the liquors.
8. Pour into a gallon zip closure bag, seal tightly, and quick chill by placing the bag flat in the bottom of a shallow pan (a broiler pan works well) and covering with ice and water.
9. Once cool, place zip bag in refrigerator and chill eggnog base for at least 1 hour--longer if you have time.
10. Just at serving time, whip the reserved egg whites and 1 packet Splenda to soft peaks. Whip the remaining 1/2 cup cream with 1 packet Splenda to stiff peaks.
11. Pour the chilled nog mixture into a serving bowl, gently fold in the beaten egg whites and then the whipped cream, leaving some chunks of meringue or whipped cream visible in the mixture.
12. Grate or sprinkle a bit more nutmeg on top.

Now, ladle into a cup and drink a toast to your health and happiness this holiday season and in the coming year!

Technically it should work, coconut milk has a very similar cooking consistency to heavy cream when applied to heat and being mostly saturates unaffected by high heat. Dudes Coconut Egg Nog are you with me on this one?

To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. - Douglas Adams
Old 01-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #17
Steve Shafley

Magnificent.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #18
Pierre Auge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shafley View Post
Magnificent.
Oh yeah I know you can feel it Steve this is going to become one of two things. 1) A staple in the daily dietary musings of the paleo athlete.
or
2) Something completely wretched!

I'm rooting for option number 1. Why the hell not? Eggs, Nutmeg, Coconut and BOOZE, what more could you ask for in a calorically not to mention nutrient dense performance supplement? Add a tsp of fish oil and you've got the makings of greatness!

Old 01-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #19
Yael Grauer

That's funny, I had the same problem when i went to TJ's yesterday. They only had "light" coconut milk. So I just use twice as much.

Here's a meal replacement shake I used to replace my raw milk/raw eggs/blueberries shake that I'm bored with. This is enough for breakfast for several days (for me, I'm little.) I guess I should add more eggs to this for more protein but I think it's yummy! Sometimes I eat some scrambled eggs too and then just take my shake to work.

2 raw eggs
2 scoops hemp protein and fiber powder
1 bag frozen organic blueberries
1 "green" banana
1 tbsp probiotic BerryGreen powder
2 cans coconut milk
1 tbsp cinnamon-flavored CLO
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp or tbsp cacao nibs
1 tsp bee pollen
Old 01-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
Scott Kustes

I made one today that was good.

1 small can of coconut milk (only 5.5oz...all I had)
1 square of Giradelli 100% cocoa (need to get some powder)
Almond butter
Unsweet apple sauce
2 eggs
Cinnamon

It was pretty dang tasty.

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote