Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #21
joe waguespack

I think God doesn't want me to be successful on low carb dietary experiments. LOL. The last time I did a diet like this was back in 1997 when I did the Bodyopus diet. I remember as the first carb up weekend approached and I had my nice IHOP breakfast planned, BOOM a hurricane hit. THis weekend, again my first carb up planned at IHOP and , BOOM a hurricane is hitting. My wife and I need to evacuate on Saturday , which will cause me to again miss my IHOP breakfast. Funny how I remember things like this.Oh well, I will try and make due the best I can, not being able to cook and plan out my meals will throw off my ratios , but I will try and get it done the best way I can. I'll be taking a few kettlebells on the road so at least I can train a little still.
I guess thats life in Louisiana. After Katrina the city was shut down for months , which greatly effected my routine. I'll just have to overcome and adapt. At least this time I have 11 more years of diet and training experience , so I can make it work. I'll just have to get creative.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
Jane Michel

!!!

Where do you have to evacuate to? Do you know how long you'll have to evacuate for?

Maybe it's that God doesn't want you to carb up or carb up at IHOP (what is IHOP?)

Will you have net access Joe?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #23
Frank Needham

Can't resist, International House of Pancakes. IHOP is God cursed already, I don't think it has anything to do with Joe.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:10 AM   #24
joe waguespack

I'm saying to hell with it and starting my carb load a day early.
I'm just evacuating to my parents farm about an hour north of here, we will still get hit , but we won't have to worry about the flooding up there.
I may have net access through my i phone, I guess I'll see how good AT&T really is.
A massive hurricane is hitting in a few days and all I can worry about is sticking to my diet, I have problems.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #25
Jane Michel

lol
enjoy your carb up!
i looked at the menu and wish they had something like that here, buffet style
Old 08-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #26
Craig Brown

Joe, disassociation gets a bad rap, but it has many, many uses. Have fun on the forced holiday. Me, I'd be carbo loading at the Du Monde...
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #27
Jane Michel

so how was IHOP then?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #28
joe waguespack

OK , so the AD went crap right after my IHOP carb load. We eneded up having to stay out of town a little longer than we planned and basically training and food choices went to hell. I decided to just return to my old way of eating and give the AD another run when I knew I wouldn't be interrupted. That was a mistake, I started to pack on weight , both fat and water daily. I shot up ten pounds and felt like a bloated mess, just from adding in oatmeal and fruit back to my daily intake. I found an article from Dr. John Berardi that explained exactly what I was going through and how you have to basically cycle carbs back into your daily diet after being off of them for a while. Made sense to me , since I was going through exactly what he was describing in the article.

So it looks like hurricane Ike is going to leave us alone and I'm two days back into the no carb thing. This time I am following a Berardi twist on the AD, it's basically the AD with lower calories and a carb load every 14 days instead of every 5. We'll see, I have to say I feel much better even after just two days of lower carb intake. I am also planning on doing it a little cleaner this time as far as food choices. Eggs, spinach, mushrooms, ground beef, chicken breasts, olive oil, fish oil, and milled flax is pretty much all I'm eating for two weeks and than I may mix it up a bit. I'm very curious to give this diet a full run, so hopefully I won't screw up this time.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #29
Dave Van Skike

I read through this thread but I admit...I don't get it......6-7% BF is insanely low. If you are able to maintain or even advance your strength at that low a BF level why would you do this diet? to gain muscle without any fat at all? that seems weirdly hard.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #30
joe waguespack

I like to experiment with different eating strategies and see what happens. isn't that the dream though, add muscle without any fat at all? Some say it's impossible, but I have a feeling there is a perfect mix of dietary plans and training protocols that will produce that result. I may be way off base, but it keeps me entertained and from getting bored.