Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 PM   #51
Kelly Frankson

So if you feel so good on the low carb days, and so bad during the carb load days, why do you need to do the carb load? Why not just stay on a 60%fat/30% protein/10% carb type scheme all year long?
Kelly Frankson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #52
joe waguespack

That would work if your main objective was to just live on a low carb diet, like atkins or something like that. The goal of the anabolic diet is to manipulate hormones (including insulin) to build or maintain the most muscle and lose the most fat. The carb load days are just as important to the diet as the week of no carbs. I think I just felt like crap because of my carb choices and the massive amounts that I ate. It is also suggested to try different types of carb loads to find what works best for you and what types of carbs get the job done without the negative feelings. Some go dirty every time with no problem, while others stick with oatmeal and blueberries for every meal. Like any diet it's about finding what works. I'm still fairly new to this so there is plenty of experimenting to do.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:40 AM   #53
Trygve Lunde

i think the carb day is also very psycologicaly good. its so easy to eat low carb and fast during the week and know that on saturday im going to enjoy myself. So at the end of the week im starting to search the internet for great recpies or walking around the stores looking for some good carby stuff to buy on my carb day. but im a food wreck so that probably isnt normal.
Trygve Lunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #54
Liam Dougherty Springer

Joe when I was following a Cyclic ketonic diet exactly like you are on I would do a full body high rep anibolic workout at a moderate intensity just previouse to my first carb up meal so I could utilize the PWO window to insrease my bodies glycogen storeing efficiancy. Are you doing anything like that?
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #55
Jon Alexander

Hey Joe awesome Post!!

I have a quick Question for you, did you read the book before you started the diet? and if so which book did you read?

this post has got me very interested in this way of eating. thanks and keep up the good work brother.
Jon Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #56
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
Joe when I was following a Cyclic ketonic diet exactly like you are on I would do a full body high rep anibolic workout at a moderate intensity just previouse to my first carb up meal so I could utilize the PWO window to insrease my bodies glycogen storeing efficiancy. Are you doing anything like that?
Bingo.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #57
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trygve Lunde View Post
i think the carb day is also very psycologicaly good. its so easy to eat low carb and fast during the week and know that on saturday im going to enjoy myself. So at the end of the week im starting to search the internet for great recpies or walking around the stores looking for some good carby stuff to buy on my carb day. but im a food wreck so that probably isnt normal.
One of my guidlines specifically Happieness requires I enjoy myself durring any practice if the only thing that is getting me through the week is looking forward to one day at the end somethings gotta change. Not knockin you I do relate to temperary periods of discomfort for a exteded feeling of gratification but only if they are very temperary.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #58
Arien Malec

Quote:
That's basically the bodyopus approach, I believe. Lyle McDonald mixes it up in UD2.0 by putting the glycogen depletion workouts early during the low carb cycle to maximize fat loss. If your body is already glycogen depleted, an intense workout prior to carb-up will prime the pump.

If you are doing AD for mass gain, the glycogen depleting workout prior carb up is a good idea as you don't particularly need the fat loss effect of glycogen depletion and low carb.
Arien Malec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #59
Trygve Lunde

Quote:
One of my guidlines specifically Happieness requires I enjoy myself durring any practice if the only thing that is getting me through the week is looking forward to one day at the end somethings gotta change. Not knockin you I do relate to temperary periods of discomfort for a exteded feeling of gratification but only if they are very temperary.

not through the training, but through the hard diet week with very restriced calories etc. but yeah im a bit special on that subject. i dont mind having 6 days of hell if i only get 1 day of heaven. so it works for me its only thursday and friday thats hard since then i can see saturday coming.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #60
Trygve Lunde

carb day is finnished and i feel awfull. think im done with carb days for a while. think im going low carb all the way for some time now. the food doesnt taste that good anymore. bread, chocklade etc. i dont fansy it. That is a very good thing tho so i can get down to 5-6% body fat but will see, maybe on friday i want a new carb day. hopefully not