Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
Frank Needham
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 543
Default Cold Laser

I'm still having trouble with an injury to my left achilles tendon and am wanting to try cold laser on it. Nothing I've tried so far like stretching or rest has had much of an effect, it still gives me discomfort after any type of robust activity. I've read that cold laser can give very dramatic results in very short periods of time and am looking to hear what others' experiences might be on this. I'd also like to get feedback on what I should be asking in terms of qualifications from say, a Chiro, who uses this to treat patients. The aggravation this injury causes has gotten ridiculous and needs to be dealt with.
__________________
"Lack of sleep makes cowards of us all."
Frank Needham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
I'm still having trouble with an injury to my left achilles tendon and am wanting to try cold laser on it. Nothing I've tried so far like stretching or rest has had much of an effect, it still gives me discomfort after any type of robust activity. I've read that cold laser can give very dramatic results in very short periods of time and am looking to hear what others' experiences might be on this. I'd also like to get feedback on what I should be asking in terms of qualifications from say, a Chiro, who uses this to treat patients. The aggravation this injury causes has gotten ridiculous and needs to be dealt with.
I use cold laser therapy every day in my practice. I watched it work well on a regular basis for a year before I bought the practice. Let me know of the places near you that you are considering, find out what kind of equipment they have, and I can give you my opinion.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Is it possible to buy your own decent cold laser? I know they sell some quality personal ultrasound and electrostim machines. All the docs I've found in Pittsburgh charge a fortune for cold laser, it seems like it'd be cheaper to buy your own.

Just like when I wanted to do prolo and the doc told me 8K a month for prolo, and they don't accept any insurances.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Is it possible to buy your own decent cold laser? I know they sell some quality personal ultrasound and electrostim machines. All the docs I've found in Pittsburgh charge a fortune for cold laser, it seems like it'd be cheaper to buy your own.

Just like when I wanted to do prolo and the doc told me 8K a month for prolo, and they don't accept any insurances.
All depends on what you know and what you are willing to trust.

I have heard of a "Vetrolaser" that would appear to have all the functions necessary and is a nice price.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
Frank Needham
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Is it possible to buy your own decent cold laser? I know they sell some quality personal ultrasound and electrostim machines. All the docs I've found in Pittsburgh charge a fortune for cold laser, it seems like it'd be cheaper to buy your own.

Just like when I wanted to do prolo and the doc told me 8K a month for prolo, and they don't accept any insurances.
I wondered about that too. Did some quick poking around and decided, for myself, this was not a good option. It'd be just another thing that would be better left to a pro to handle, considering the prices and knowledge required to do a top notch job.

G, I've got a list of providers in the area who I'm going to survey later and I'll back here with what I find.
__________________
"Lack of sleep makes cowards of us all."
Frank Needham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
All depends on what you know and what you are willing to trust.

I have heard of a "Vetrolaser" that would appear to have all the functions necessary and is a nice price.
An equine and canine laser.... hmmm.... I'm tempted, genuinely tempted. Looks like you can pick up the 3 piece kit for under 900. That still beats a month of prolo by $7,100. Are there any reliable resources for learning to do this yourself? I've done my ultrasound at the PT. Being there 5 days a week, I guess they just decided it's easier to just let me do it. Electrostim is a bit hard to do sometimes depending where you have to place the electrodes. Can you burn/injure someone with a cold laser?

I have a laser pointer, what if I just turn that on and leave it focused on my foot for a few hours a day?
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
Garrett Smith
Senior Member
 
Garrett Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,368
Default

Honest answers.

If you aim a cold laser directly in your eye(s) long enough, you could cause some damage. With the power level of a Vetrolaser, you could not do tissue damage if you tried. EDIT: do not do cold laser over a pregnant uterus or a known or suspected cancerous site.

The weaker the laser, the less penetration depth. So a laser pointer (which I believe has to be less than 3mW, the infrared Vetrolaser is 200mW) could work if something was very superficial/shallow in nature or if you were using it to treat acupuncture points. I have a 5mW red laser I use just for this purpose.
__________________
Garrett Smith NMD CSCS BS, aka "Dr. G"
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Blood, Saliva, and Stool Testing
My radio show - The Path to Strength and Health
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #8
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Wow, I was just trying to make a joke about the laser pointer, I had no idea that could actually work. Maybe I should try it on my shin scrapes from deadlifting.

I was just extrapolating what I know about ultrasound, and I was taught that you can burn the bone if you stay in one place too long, so the wand must continually be moved. Vetrolasers sound very safe by comparison then if they cannot damage tissue.

I may seriously consider saving up for one now. I think my next major purchase will be compex electrostim machine, but I think the Vetrolaser just made my wish list. Although the female of house seems to think we need a new dishwasher....
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Samuel Hughes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 400
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Cilli View Post
Wow, I was just trying to make a joke about the laser pointer, I had no idea that could actually work. Maybe I should try it on my shin scrapes from deadlifting.

I was just extrapolating what I know about ultrasound, and I was taught that you can burn the bone if you stay in one place too long, so the wand must continually be moved. Vetrolasers sound very safe by comparison then if they cannot damage tissue.

I may seriously consider saving up for one now. I think my next major purchase will be compex electrostim machine, but I think the Vetrolaser just made my wish list. Although the female of house seems to think we need a new dishwasher....
If your wife actually let you buy a laser over a dishwasher... shes a winner.
__________________
S. Emile Hughes

Workout Log

Current Lifts (December 2010): BW 166lbs; 285lb Bench Press; 315lb Squat; 175lb Overhead Press; 405lb Deadlift; 205lb Power Clean
Samuel Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Jarod Barker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Hughes View Post
If your wife actually let you buy a laser over a dishwasher... shes a winner.
Well she's a girlfriend now, but I'll tell you what, she let me buy a new shotgun (a nice one too, Mossberg) when we needed a new stove last year. So, if she lets me buy a laser when she wants a dishwasher, she just might stick around long enough to make it to wife. I like a woman with her priorities in order.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Subscribe to our Newsletter


Receive emails with training tips, news updates, events info, sale notifications and more.
ASK GREG

Submit your question to be answered by Greg Everett in the Performance Menu or on the website

Submit Your Question
WEIGHTLIFTING TEAM

Catalyst Athletics is a USA Weightlifting team of competitive Olympic-style weightlifters with multiple national team medals.

Read More
Olympic Weightlifting Book
Catalyst Athletics
Contact Us
About
Help
Newsletter
Products & Services
Gym
Store
Seminars
Weightlifting Team
Performance Menu
Magazine Home
Subscriber Login
Issues
Articles
Workouts
About the Program
Workout Archives
Exercise Demos
Text Only
Instructional Content
Exercise Demos
Video Gallery
Free Articles
Free Recipes
Resources
Recommended Books & DVDs
Olympic Weightlifting Guide
Discussion Forum
Weight Conversion Calculator