Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Flexibility, Training Preparation & Recovery

Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 PM   #11
Thomas Bailly

Nothing to do with this forum, everything to do with your avatar....
or have you never heard of LFC?
Sorry all,no more thread hijacking...promise
Thomas Bailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Justin Deardorff
This message has been deleted by Justin Deardorff.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #12
Grissim Connery

I read some of the other threads on here about issues in the psoas. I'm not sure how i should correctly go about my issue.

The most limiting physical factor in training BJJ are my psoas hurting. They are never chronically injured, but when training hard, i feel it the most there. it doesn't feel like a classically sore muscle but instead just aches. They tighten up easily the next day when they ache, but luckily i can open them up pretty quickly though with some pigeons and what not. My back will tend to arch a lot as well when things tighten up, but basic standing piked stretched open that up fast. They continue to ache though.

Eventually after training a lot, it feels like a tight string pulling my spine just below the ribs from the inside toward the front and back of my pelvis. It feels like it’s under my abs. This particularly feeling only really occurs on the left side though.

I'm kinda a triangle/omo plata guy now, and i think i have decent hip flexibility except for the hamstrings. I can get my leg close to behind my head without stretching, and after some diligent work i can get it there but uncomfortably.
Lunging type stretches don’t seem to stretch it well. Lunging stretch help open up a lot of other stuff on me (particularly in the glut area of the front leg), but when I try them, I only feel an uncomfortable tugging at the hip flexor area in the back leg, not so much a stretch. It feels like I shouldn’t do it too hard or I will hurt something.

Rotational stretches have a lot of benefit in opening up the areas. Sometimes I try tennis balls and such to try and release them, but these muscles are so deep that it’s hard to get them aside from digging in there with my own hand. I dunno about money right now for a massage. I tried to show my girlfriend where to dig in, but she’s just confused => she’s just still surprised there’s a muscle in there because she feels like she’s trying to move my organs.

My questions:
Is it possible to be flexible in the piriformis and not the psoas?

In order to reduce the ache in the future, would it be better to try to strengthen the psoas outside of squatting (I have no idea how to isolate them), or would it be better to try to place the load somewhere else like the abs?
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

1. Yes, the piriformis is an external rotator of the hip, and the psoas is a flexor/internal rotator. Since they perform "opposite" functions yes one can be loose and one can be tight.

2. I'd go with some of the hip flexors stretches like are on mobilitywod..... just sit in them until you feel the muscles release. Sometimes it takes a couple minutes or more for really tight muscles.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #14
Craig Brown

What Steven said! Just hang out in the stretches for a LONG time. For me also my QL can get hung up as well, so some work on that is good. I find that the Piriformis trigger point needs regular work for me, 'just cause'- I do the version Defranco shows in one of his videos. Somehow this keeps the Psoas for getting as stressed in my case, Steven might know why. I also do the pigeon a LOT on my squat & dead days, in between sets which seems to help.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
Yael Grauer

My psoas gets super sore. My body worker makes me lift my leg up while he presses on it. I call it psoas torture. Hurts like hell but helps a lot.