Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #101
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Thurs: 6 hrs + 1 hrs

OAC: 3x4 (had to assist a bit on each 4th reps)
parallette freestand HSPUs: 1x7
iron cross: 4s hold (peer pressurez)
3 sets of parallettes 3-4s straddle planche + 5 adv. tuck PL pushups
OAC negs: 2x 2x10s

OAC felt pretty mediocre today. However, the cross was solid AND after the OAC work even though I got peer pressured into it. Twinged my right shoulder a bit though so I'm gonna stay away from these for now as well.

Straddle planche was feeling good today. It might be almost time to start bringing my legs together towards full planche.

Ice for the knee and massage for the knee and R shoulder. R Shoulder is feeling fine after the twinge. We'll see what's up tomorrow.

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-14-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #102
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Fri: 8 hrs + 2 hrs

OAC: 1x2A, 1x3B +5 lbs, 1x2B +10 lbs. (assist last rep of weighted w/ L)
3 sets of rings straddle PL 3s + 3 rings adv. tuck PL pushups 3s each

Light day.

Not as good progress with the OAC as I would like so I'm going to mix in the weighted OAC with the density work and max reps like I did a couple months ago. Sparingly though.

Straddle planche felt weaker today, but I am a bit sore and tired from yesterday. Decent work overall.

Knee ice! Feeling pretty good actually much better than usual after Thurs night. Hopefully some good strength work on it tomorrow.

R shoulder is sore where the twinge was but overall operating well. Will keep it in mind though.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #103
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sat: 6 hrs

OAC: 1x2A, 1x2B +5 lbs, 2x1B +10 lbs
3 sets of rings straddle PL 5-6s + 1 rings adv. tuck PL pushups 3s

superset 3x:
straddle FL pullups: 1x5
rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse: 1x3

Overall worse quality today. Probably cause I'm tired. Although straddle planche feels more solid; took a quick vid to see my position and correct it; legs were slightly low but torso is perfectly flat so I fixed that during subsequent sets.

Performed chairs today which was fun. If the vid appears on youtube I'll link it here.. but not expecting it. We'll see though. We did have some screwups though and I was unfortunate enough to smash my bad knee so I'm gonna stay away from work tonight (plus I did a lot of walking/jogging anyway) and just ice.

Shoulders are going great BUT they are tired. Rest day will be definitely useful.

I need to check back over my log and see when my next rest break is.

edit: on second thought since you guys are probably wondering; here's the chairs act we did back in 2007 that won best act that year. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBK9iNcnKw

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-15-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #104
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sun: 8 hrs sleep

Focused mostly on ice and massage today for shoulders, knees, some elbow work.

Should've done flexibility.

Otherwise, shoulder is still iffy if I try cross but otherwise not. Still indicates something is a bit wrong there though so I'm going to try to solve it.

Knee has been sore and did a bit of inadvertant jogging/walking on it so just mostly ice and massage to get the bit of swelling down. Going to evaluate today if I'm ready for more work.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #105
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Mon: 8.5 hrs

OAC: 1x2A, 1x2A +5 lbs, 1x1 +10 lbs & 12.5 lbs, 1x1R +15 lbs L-fail, 2x2A +10 lbs

maltese leans (1/2 lay): 3x5s w/ 1 min rest (testing)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...33883399&hl=en

superset 3x:
rings straddle PL 4s + 3 rings adv. tuck PL pushups 3s
10s inverted eccentric to hang

straddle FL pullups: 8,7,6 (good form to failure)

Working today was an overall success I believe. I did what I wanted to do with the first two exercises and then it was just extra work from there.

Maltese looks to be about ~25 degrees away. Definite improvement from my 30-40 or so degrees back in September.

OAC were worse than I thought overall. I was hoping to hit +15 lbs with both, but that's okay. My previous records were +12.5 L and +17.5 R. However, that was with full ROM.. I am skimping the first 10-20 degrees so it is probably a big difference but I don't want my shoulder in that ROM anymore. Overall, solid though since I am up to 134 lbs (+8 lbs from when I pulled those PRs) so that would equate to +20.5 and +25.5 lbs (but not really, lol) which is good progress in the two or so months even with the shoulder rehab work I did for a couple weeks.

R posterior delt is sore now and I could tell that during the last exercise it was feeling unstable. So hopefully tomorrow we'll be good to go again. Lots of massage for it now.

Knee is doing better. Still a bit sore so I'm gonna hold back for now. I did do a bit of stair climbing so mostly ice and massage for it. We'll see how it holds up by tomorrow.

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-17-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #106
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Tue: 9 hrs

Did my warmup and then just wasn't feeling it today. Right posterior delt (and probably external rotators) is also pretty sore so shoulder does feel a bit unstable shall we say. Just gonna massage then ice some.

Did about 2x400m jogging on the knee. Not on purposes though since I had to park way far away from a place because of Maryland BBall game. Retarded. Anyway, knee was GREAT during the runs but sore now. I'll take it. Ice and some massage.

Hopefully will do some flexibility later as well.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #107
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Wed: 7 hrs

Not much structured work today.

1. Went through our chairs routine again. And played around some with different poses.
2. Messed around with some front uprises and other swinging elements on rings.
3. Did some back uprise to straddle planche, one cross (against my better judgement), front lever, back lever, handstands
4. Played around with handstand -> english handstand -> lower to elbow lever -> shoulder stand -> HSPU back to handstand. Nice combo.. I'll try to get it on video.

Bit of jogging on the knee. Cross hit my shoulder a bit so I dropped out of it after about 3s. Ice and massage for knee. Gonna stick with some massage for shoulder and see how it feels.

Thinking of taking my off week next week starting at Thanksgiving as the food will help me supercompensate well. Just gotta make it through this week and half of next. Won't mess with the shoulder anymore with cross though.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #108
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Thurs: 4 hrs + 4 hrs

Started getting a stuffy nose and a bit under the weather so I decided to take a longer nap and not to do anything today.

Have been doing massive amounts of massive for both my shoulders hopefully breaking up adhesions. It's pretty hard to get the posterior delt and external rotators well, but I'm trying.

A bit of massage for the knee as well. Felt pretty good walking around today although the tibial tuberosity is still a bit sore.. not sure why.

Gonna try to get work Fri and Sat and then Mon->Wed. Or maybe everyday. We'll see how the body holds up though.

Also, as you may or may not know I don't really take any supplements. However, I decided to order some ZMA and fish oil today... so I'm gonna be black boxing it when it comes. Probably the ZMA first for a week or two (as my sleep quality hasn't been all that great); if positive results then I'll add the fish oil on top and we'll see how we do. Unless I should be doing it the other way around, eh?
Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #109
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Probably the ZMA first for a week or two (as my sleep quality hasn't been all that great); if positive results then I'll add the fish oil on top and we'll see how we do. Unless I should be doing it the other way around, eh?
IMO, you should take the fish oil first, because it's generally accepted as a necessity in living a healthy and active lifestyle. I could be biased though because I haven't done any research on ZMA.
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #110
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Fri: 7-8 hrs

OAC: 3x4
rings L-sit to shoulder stand to handstand & reverse: 3x5

Quick work.

Lots of massage for the shoulders.

As for supplements, I may just go with both at once. Shrug. We'll see.