Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #11
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sun: Rest. Bad sleep... gah.

Mon: Golf.. shot 60 over a par 34 9 holes. This course was much harder so I mean.. I guess it's okay. But still.

OAC: 1x3B, 1x3L 1x2R, 1x3A(lternating)
Maltese Leans: 5x5

OAC felt weak. Can't tell if it was because of golf in the morning or just crap sleep over the weekend with not so great eating.

(oops, wood in the way.. guy you gotta take my word for not feet assisting):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...91323695&hl=en

Maltese leans felt not bad... deteriorated in like the last set though. Gonna do some planche work tomorrow I think.

Pretty light today. Going to go harder tomorrow... with Weds rest again. Thurs I should be going down to Primal. And then we'll go from there...

------------------

For some posterity since I did upload these for a different forum to show progress (haven't done any REAL maltese leans in like a couple months):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...98793939&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31386235&hl=en

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-02-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Tues: Decent sleep, semi-good eating

OAC (concentric only): 1x5L 1x4.5R, 1x5A, 1x4A, 1x3A
1/2 layout maltese leans (no bench; 1/2 lay = straight hips, bent knees): 5x10s

OAC volume was pretty high today... 16.5/17 reps although concentric portion only. The eccentric does kinda zap a lot of strength cause I was able to do 5 as opposed to my PR of 4, but I'm not sure how much I would've been able to do with the eccentric since yesterday was a bit off. Um, rest tomorrow and we'll see how the elbows feel going into Thurs.

1/2 lay maltese leans felt pretty good actually (just no block support really). Uh, well, I guess there is more activation of everything stabilizing, but without the block (or spotter) you're not really hitting the position. I'll probably trade back and forth with these a bit to develop the strength for each since both are needed (work in support and work to hit the position).

Food time baby.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #13
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Wed: slept 4 hours... crappy.

Thurs: Slept 4 hours... crappy.

OAC: 3x2

They were so bad I decided to stop. Could be CNS fatigue from the large (+20 more OAC than usual basically), but I strongly suspect it was the crap sleep for the past two days.

We'll see how it feels tomorrow. Should be able to get 8-10 hours tonight.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Fri: Great sleep like 9 hrs (although one slight interruption). Also, got a nap. Feel pretty caught up,

Knee is doing great. Felt a bit sore yesterday and past few days because of walking, but icing has been helping. Jogged a bit today with no problems. Time for more ice.

Going to postpone working out for probably ~3 days. Shoulder is feeling iffy so I'll probably do some prehab work. Elbows feel great which means they are fully adapted to OAC work it seems.

Hopefully, work my splits now too... o_o

Time for some food, ice and ice cream.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 PM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sat: Rest.

Did some RC work (external) for both my shoulders. Made them feel a bit better instantly so am probably going to readd some work with these after any workout from now on.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sun: 4 hrs of sleep. Got a couple naps though which helped make up for it.

OAC: 1x1B; 1x1B +10 lbs; 1x1L(f 1/2) 1x1R 1x1L(f 3/4) +15 lbs; 1x1L +12.5 lbs, 1x1R(f 1/3) +17.5 lbs

Decided to test OAC strength just because I feel like it. Shouldn't be that intensive since 1 OAC is not my limit strength anymore and maxing isn't that intensive either with so few sets to do it.

In any case, got up to OAC +12.5 lbs for left and +15 lbs for right. About halfway to my goal of hitting +25 lbs with both arms by the end of the year. I am probably going to start mixing in some max strength (weighted OAC work) with the repetition sets aiming towards 1x5 and beyond (probably not more than 2-3 sets because it wears on the elbows).

Otherwise, with pushing still going to work towards maltese and planche. Haven't done much triceps work to my honest, but they are one of my strong points and I'm trying to bring up biceps/posterior delt strength anyway.

~Knee rehab work between my sets.
~RC work on external rotation only. Side lying ER & cubans.
~Some splits and shoulder flexibility work.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 AM   #17
Veronica Davis

I heard that you were over here. I miss your wisdom on the crossfit boards, but at least I know you are still around.

I've read your journal... What does OAC mean?
Veronica Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #18
Allen Yeh

One Arm Chin
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Mon: ~7 hours of sleep but felt like 5-6.

OAC: 1x1B, 3x2B +7.5 lbs
Maltese leans (from support): 5x10s in 1/2 lay

OAC felt pretty good with doubles at +7.5 lbs. I like weighted version better because it feels better overall. Less wear and tear on the joints.. well, even though it's more weight they're tough enough that enough repetitions can do you in clearly. So am definitely going to mix in more weighted work.

Maltese leans felt pretty good.. although can't tell progress. From what I can tell OAC work does help protect the elbows so I don't have to worry much about any hyperextension which is nice.

Holding off on RC work. Going to try to operate on a 2/1 on/off schedule as I need to give them a break b/c they are small muscles. Shoulders feel great right now though and today is the rest day.

Already did knee rehab + ice. Feels good. Very close to being able to do an airsquat without it twinging. Can go to parallel without it hurting at the moment but am going to take it VERY slow.

Hopefully work splits a bit later. Have also decided to work english handstand before one arm handstand. Will do some of that tomorrow though.

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-08-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #20
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Tues: 7 hrs sleep. Not bad.

Skill work stuff on rings.. press to handstands, L-sits, shoulder stand, swings
cross: 2x5s
OAC: 2x4A concentrics

Felt pretty good. Crosses were solid but they still feel like they're ripping my chest apart. I am much stronger in the movement now though.. I can see how much OAC work has helped my strength for this.

Um, rest day tomorrow and Weds we'll see.