Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #31
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sun: eating more than usual. Sleep was 5 hrs + 2. Plan on getting 8 tonight...

Rest. Asian squat stretching.. right side is a bit tight since that is injured knee side. Also, ice.

Lots of massage on the shoulders. Feeling a lot better. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #32
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Asian squat stretching.
So for you wouldn't that just be "squat stretching?" Heh.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #33
Steven Low
Super Moderator

I suppose Allen,...

Mon: 8 hrs + 1 hrs nap

OAC: 1x1B, 1x1B + 10 lbs, 1x1F (3/4 +15 lbs), 1x1 +15 lbs
OAC static top: 1x3s B +25 lbs (too heavy!)
OAC negs: 1x7s +15 lbs (shoulder does not like.. so..)

Basically going to try to stay away from OAC work and cross for a while now and let shoulders heal more. Need to find some alternate form of biceps work since they are apparently my weak point at the moment.

Maltese leans: 5x10s (felt pretty good)

I think I'm just gonna stop. I'll try to figure out something tomorrow that I can do...

In any case, already did knee work + ice. Probably gonna ice again.

Food time.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #34
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Tues: 7-8 hrs of sleep

Checked my weight up to 128.5 lbs from last week's 126 lbs. So... good I guess. Hope none of it was fat.

muscle ups: 1x5 +16 lbs

Challenged someone.. too easy. I wonder if I can max higher than my +65 lbs record now.

maltese leans:
assisted elevators (feet on bench): (1x3 partial ROM.. too hard lol)
negative elevators: 3x3 (slow as possible)

Um, worked felt not bad. Maltese's felt better. I like the elevator work but this is even more hard to gauge than maltese leans. You can't tell any sort of progression at all... besides the burning of my muscles. Very good on anterior delts and biceps though.

Also, did ~200m of jogging today. Felt fine. Ice soon. Moreeeee food too.

Planning on a rest week probably starting Sat to Thurs or so this coming week. I haven't taken one in probably about ~3-4 weeks or so now, and I'm pretty beat up so 5 days off totally would do me some good.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Wed: 7-8 hrs of sleep. yay

maltese leans: 3x10s
maltese leans push to tuck planche: 3x (5s hold + 5s hold)

sequence 2x: [(straddle hang to inverted hang, straight eccentric to FL, 1 FL pullup, eccentric to straddle hang) * 3 in a row]

elevator negatives: 2x3

Maltese leans felt fine. I LIKE the maltese leans push to tuck planche. Will try adv. tuck next time. These are much like maltese push to planche in the olympics which is awesome.. requires a lot of effort.

Sequence felt fine.. hollowed a bit on the straddles and straight body.. so will need to fix this in the future. I might try to bring back some more sequences because they're awesome..

Elevator negatives are good again. Hardest workout in a while so hopefully NOT sore tomorrow.

Knee is a bit sore from yesterday. Ice. Food time. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-18-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: put Tue instead of Wed
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #36
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Thurs: 4.5 hrs of sleep. Not good. Fell asleep in class a bit. o_o

english handstand work (got some good holds 5s a couple times)
straddle hang pull to inverted hang: 1x5
maltese leans push to tuck planche: 4x (5s + 5s)
straddle hang pull to inverted hang: 3x5
pseudo planche pushups: 4x6

Work felt pretty good today. The pull to inverted hangs were done with PURE straight body unlike last time which means I am stronger (or rather maybe less fatigued.. probably both). Maltese leans + push to tuck planche was HARD on ~8 ft long cables. I like this a lot. Pseudos felt good.

Probably some intense work tomorrow and then break for 5 days.

Also, did some tennis ball rolling and groin stretching. Shoulders felt much better after the tennis balling (which I conveniently remembered today heh), so I am going to do this in the future.

Need to work flexibility more. Ice for the knee.

Still eating a buttload (well, trying to at least). Should be past 130 mark by next Tues I hope.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #37
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Fri:

8 hrs of sleep + 2 hrs nap. Feeling good. Shoulders are a bit sore though probably from the tennis balling.

maltese lean push to tuck planche: 5x (7s+7s)
2 straight + 1 straddle crank: 3 sets
elevator eccentrics: 3x3 @ 7s each

Maltese work feels pretty solid. I think I'm closer -- need to get a vid to check. As for tuck planche it feels ok. I want to take it to straddle, but I am definitely not strong enough after the maltese isometric and the push in front of it. I'll try to work it out to adv. tuck after the 5 day break.

Cranks felt good. First set was very good with no hollowing. Got a bit worse as the sets went on though.

Elevator eccentrics were fine. Still like them although I like OAC work better.. just kinda hard to tell progress with this as stablization is half the battle.

Knee feels much better after all the walking and stairs work it got yesterday. Gonna rest until tomorrow or Sun and then start back up with some work. +ice

I couldn't find a tennis ball so I'm using golf ball at home for my shoulder. Good times. It's feeling looser overall than it has though which is good. Also, integrated some external rotation work as well.

Looking forward to this break. Gonna stretch more often especially as knee is improving I can do more squat stretch work. Really need to do my splits though.. and back flexibility. Ugh.

Also, if you haven't read them before a lot of Coach Sommer's stuff is good:
http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=892
Old 09-21-2008, 08:43 AM   #38
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sat: 2 hrs + 2 hrs nap + 2 hrs nap. Erf.

Well, still eating a bunch.

Knee is iced. Still feels a bit tender to the touch so gonna continue with ice.

Massage for the shoulders + stretching for the rest.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #39
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sun: 5 hrs sleep. Meh.

Lots of massage and some stretching for the right shoulder. Got in some squat stretching too. Left shoulder is feeling great now, but still gonna put in some work for it.

Forgot to ice the knee before I fell asleep.

Helped coach some gymnastics today.. rings and floor stuff mostly.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #40
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Mon: 10 hrs of sleep. Yay.

Two things I forgot to note:

1. Thurs - made TWO one ring muscle ups. Yes, one ring (grab top of the ring). I am going to try to get it without kipping and then if any of you guys are going to the CF Mid Atlantic Challenge I'll show you there.

2. Weighted myself Sun: at 129 lbs. Need to eat more than I have been.

Iced my knee already today. Feels strong actually, but is still a bit sore to the touch which is weird. Going to ice again later.

Also, iced the shoulder and have been doing some mad massage work on it + golf balling a little. It's definitely getting looser. It is something supraspinatus though I can feel it when I do the 45 degree side-forward, thumb pointing down arm raise.

Ah yes. Was feeling pretty tight today in my posterior chain (mostly back). The good thing about having 2 middle school siblings is that they can step on your back... free massage. Was pretty awesome.

STRETCHING. Yes. For my everything.

Last edited by Steven Low : 09-22-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote