Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM   #41
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Tue: 8 hrs of sleep. Definitely on a good sleep schedule again (~12-1 AM to 8-9 AM or so). Awesomeness. Though tonight might not be good...

Did some moving around on the knee today. A bit of acceleration and agility/cutting work. Very light impact. Feels pretty good actually although a bit sore. Iced. Probably gonna just ice tomorrow and let it be and see how it responds on Thurs when I do lots of walking.

Shoulder massage and ice. Hmm. Can't really tell we'll see how it is tomorrow. I hope it's better by Thurs but if not I'll probably modify my workouts like I had been doing anyway to work around it (maltese + planche work.. pure front lever and elevator work I guess).

Asian squattage. Both sides feel pretty even now (tightness on my right side is going away) although I still can't stretch it as well as I want to because it puts a lot of pressure on the right knee which I don't want to risk at this point.

Helped coach. Um, yeah, did some random muscle ups and other easy strength work. Good active recovery I guess...
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #42
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Wed: 8 hrs of sleep. Won't be getting any of that tonight though.. probably closer to 5-6.

Messed around a bit today on rings. Random muscle ups, press handstand, front lever but not enough to be tiring.

Got a NICE english handstand hold for 10s. These feel VERY strong. Now I need to learn how to do a straddle-L press into it. That would be sick.

Jogged on the knee some. Feels good. I might start doing controlled air squats for strengthening soon. +ice.

Shoulder feels GREAT. When I went to hang on it today it didn't feel tight at all except for a little bit. Still gonna keep on icing and massaging though. We'll see how it responds tomorrow though (not gonna do any cross/OAC work yet however...).

Goals in progress
~one arm pullover
~OAC +25 lbs/5 OAC
~rings full planche
~rings maltese
~Broad jump 10 ft (well, get leg to heal moreso first)
~one arm handstand
~Splits!

Goals/skills/techniques on hold
~floor glute-ham raise / bodyweight hamstring curl
~2x bodyweight squat
~2.5x bodyweight DL
~Increase vertical to over 42" (about 30"-32")
~Break 11s 100m & 50s 400m
~butterfly cross, inverted cross, manna [long term]

Goals completed!
~Iron cross (12/08/06) & solidified.
~2x bodyweight dip (03/11/07)
~2x bodyweight deadlift (03/20/07)
~one arm pullup (08/01/07)
~straddle planche (10/30/07) & solidified.
~front lever (12/24/07)
~2x bodyweight pullup (07/28/08 )

Current PRs -- of the weights I have actually tried o_O
285 lbs DL (triple) (07/20/07)
+130 lbs pullup (07/28/08 )
+170 lbs dip (06/16/08 )
9'5" broad jump (08/XX/07)

severely out of condition + reinjured my knee. Oops:
100m: 12.41 (06/23/08 )
400m: 106:93 (06/23/08 )
Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 PM   #43
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Thurs: 3 hrs of sleep + 2 hrs nap

15 mins english handstand practice. These were a crapshoot compared to yesterday. I got a few nice holds for like 5-10s but it was interspersed with like 1-2s fails.

maltese (1/2 lay) lean push to tuck planche: 5x (7s+7s)
full cranks: 3x3
elevator negatives: 3x3

Felt pretty good today. The malteses once I got properly warmed up I felt I hit some nice ones.. although need to get a side vid next time.

Full cranks were good but deteriorated as the set went on. Looks like I'm good for one set with straight body now..

Elevator negatives were nice. First time I tried without feet assist and it looks like I am strong enough to control it... but I need to focus on keeping the hands in more.

I experimented with a static OAC at a top, and it looks like I'm pretty weak in the position again. Looks like I'm going to have to rebuild this strength up again. But since I have the muscle and previously had the strength it should come back fast -- just need to be wary of shoulders more this time. Will probably start working back into it on Mon perhaps.

Stretched my legs. Tennis balled my shoulder. Iced my knee and shoulder.

Last edited by Steven Low; 09-26-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: didn't add in english handstand work
Steven Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:31 PM   #44
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Fri: 3 hrs sleep + 2 hrs nap. Ehh..

rings maltese/BLMPL pushups: 5x5

Pretty light today.. wanted to give everything a rest since I'm sore again.. go figure.

Thinking about going for the 30 MUs for time. I want to hit sub2 by the end of the year... that's my only real metcon goal. I'm going to have to recondition myself for that though. I'm trying to decide whether I want to do it sooner (early Oct) or later (probably in Dec if later).

Stretched asian squat, massaged shoulder, ice knee and shoulder.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #45
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sat: 5 hrs sleep + 2-3 hrs nap.

Shoulders feel pretty good today. Knee is still a bit sore from wed/thur/fri but overall feeling better and much stronger. Tried an air squat but was a bit iffy so I decided not to do any.

Maltese (1/2 lay) push to adv. tuck planche: 5x (5s+5s)
OAC: 3x2A
elevator negatives: 2x3 7s eccentric
straddle FL pullups: 3x5

Maltese stuff felt good. Felt strong enough to go to adv. tuck planche. I got a bit of film on the maltese... looks somewhat improved but still need to work on it more. Need to focus a bit more on shoulder technique (rolling forward).

Shoulders felt good as mentioned so I did a bit of work with OAC. Felt great -- but I am lacking strength again at the top position. I will need to work on this going for 5 in a row again. Strength will come back fast again I am sure though because it always does.

Elevator negatives were pretty good. Felt a bit weaker doing them as opposed to Thurs but that's ok since I'm just getting back into things.

Straddle FL pullups mainly for scapular retraction to keep up that strength. (Is also the strength needed for weighted muscle ups in case you were wondering).

Rest day tomorrow and then back into things Monday..
Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #46
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sun: 5 hrs + 2 hrs sleep. Meh.

Rest.

Mon: 7-8 hrs sleep. Still feel tired though overall.

maltese (1/2 lay) push adv. tuck planche: 5x (5s+5s)
OAC: 3x2A

Pretty light workout. Tomorrow I expect to go fairly harder (don't really want to be sore for tomorrow at least.. then going into rest Weds and workout Thurs).

OAC still feeling a bit weak so far (I think it's because I put on around 5 or so lbs since I last did the 1x4...).

Ice for knee and R shoulder.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #47
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Sat: 7-8 hrs sleep + 1 hrs nap

maltese leans (knees on bench): 5x5
OAC: 2x2
straddle FL pullups: 3x5

Maltese leans particually hard probably cause I haven't done them in a while -- going to alternate these and the free ones again.

OAC.. lol so hard after true parallel maltese work. Biceps were fried from that. I think that's the other thing as well besides the weight gain.. I've been doing OAC after the maltese work instead of at the beginning. I may change it up some and see how it does next time. Ice for the shoulder though and some massage.. started getting a bit tight today before workout.

straddle FL pullups for scap retraction/posterior delt work.

Overall, tough workout even though volume seems the same as yesterday... maltese leans to parallel were definitely 3-4x as intense as yesterday, and still are a full body exercise.

Ice for knee too. Still a bit sore from last week. Meh. Have to be really careful.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #48
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Wed: 7 hrs sleep, feel somewhat sleepy though

Jog 400m. Actually didn't mean to do this but ended up doing this because I was late (so it's actually an estimated distance). Felt pretty good on the knee.. didn't really hurt at all. I expect some soreness and tenderness on the spot though.

Otherwise, got some good stretching in for the back and hammies. No squat though should do that tonight.

+ Ice for shoulder and knee.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #49
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Thurs: 7 hrs sleep

maltese (1/2 lay) push adv. tuck planche: 5x (5s+5s)
hang pull to inverted hang straight: 3x3
elevator negatives: 3x3

Massage for knee & shoulder. Ice for knee and shoulder.

Am going to stay away from OAC tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #50
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Fri: 9 hrs sleep + 1 hr nap

Sequence 6x:
maltese lean (5s) push to adv. tuck planche (5s) to shoulder stand into elevator negative (5s) to front lever (5s)

Working out late so needed to keep things short. TOUGH workout though. I might just start working more sequences on "light" days because I can get through them fast and they hit basically everything.

Ice for knee. Massage for shoulder.