Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
Charles Moreland

Saturday workout 9/6

Warm up -

Skipped warm up. Came directly from an hour or so of parkour. Was feeling pretty good.

Workout -

245# Squat 3x5
225# Deadlift 1x5
50# Weighted dip 3x5

Elbow -

85# Lat Pulldown 3x5

So I jumped an extra 5 pounds without realizing which felt amazing...after the fact. Doing the actual squats was another story but a friend watching me didn't notice much fault in form. I dropped to 225# deadlift due to form inadequacies. I'll get video up as soon as I can. Dips felt great and I'll continue to increase them each work out.

Elbow wise I think I found something to get the strength back. A PT previously mentioned working the endurance of the muscle but after several weeks on that I noticed no change. I think this new pt routine is what I need to regain my strength slowly and safely.
Charles Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

1. Don't do DL right after squatting... too intensive. Do it at the end.

2. If DL doesn't improve you may need to reload on it. Depending on your biomechanics you might be a stronger squatter.. but DL should be able to catch up and surpass eventually. I'd definitely like to see a vid though.

3. Hopefully the elbow gets back soon.. just don't aggravate it. Foo.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #13
Charles Moreland

Ah, I always list the DL after my squat but DL is always done at the end.

Monday Workout 9/8

Warm up -

2 minutes rowing
20 airsquats
10 push ups
135# rock bottom iso hold 30 seconds

Work out -

250# Squat 3x5
55# Weighted Dips 3x5
225# DL 1x5 (Still waiting on form)

PT Work -

90# Lat Pulldown 3x5
150# leg abducter machine 3x10 (This was mostly just an experiment to test a different theory as to why I am unable to do straddle splits)

Stretching as always was my cooldown. Which, by the way, my front splits are now only several inches off the ground, down from what used to be 15+ inches at the beginning of this program. Although kicking utilizes a different stretch mechanism, they have felt infinitely better than before and I can now kick waist height with relative ease.

My squat felt absolutely beautiful. Can't say much on that except that I'll keep pushing until form gives out. I'm estimating around 275 it will give, but I won't dawn on that too much. 300 here I come.

Dips are also getting pretty damn strong and I'll continue increasing 5#s every workout until my triceps tell me otherwise.

I'm going to keep saying it, two weeks now after switching strategies with my elbow and I haven't felt a lick pain. Progress will be slow but I'm sure I've got it this time.

As one more note, cookies are officially out of my diet as I was rushed to the emergency room after picking up and eating a cookie that was not labeled properly and contained chunks of food (walnuts) that I'm deathly allergic too. I'm slightly upset as I kept this food as my one last connection to high sugary foods. Oh well.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Charles Moreland

Wednesday Workout 9/10

Warm up-

2 minutes rowing
20 airsquats
10 push ups
170# rock bottom iso hold 30 seconds

Workout-

255# Squat 3x5
60# Weighted dips 3x5
225# Deadlift

PT -

95# Lat Pulldown 3x5

I felt like a damn champion doing 255. My 5th rep on the last set was the first instance where I actually found myself grunting while pushing. Perhaps some screaming will come out by 300.

Dips also felt great. I do need to make a note however to start bringing elastic bands to the gym because I think 60 is all the chain belt is meant to hold.

Dead lift is still slacking. Still attempting to get a video camera to get some footage for you Steve. Sorry for the wait.

On a less high note...I've lost two pounds. I know this comes from being a college student while also being involved in as much shit as I am involved with, but I seriously need to figure out a way to get enough calories when I'm on campus. If this means going to the store more than once every week and a half or so then so be it. I'd like to keep my linear progression going until 300.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Ice cream and olive oil.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Charles Moreland

Friday Workout 9/12

Warmup -

2 minutes rowing
20 airsquats
10 push ups
40 second handstand hold
185# rock bottom iso hold 30 seconds

Workout -

260# Squat 3x5
65# Weighted Dip 3x5
225# Deadlift (form trouble)
115# Clean (form trouble / new exercise introduction)

PT -

100# Lat Pulldown 3x5

Squats, once again, felt amazing. Dips I was straining and grunting but I think I'll be able to push up to 80ish before losing my linear progression. Deadlift was done today on a different bar (unsure of the name - handlebars on the side). Made the lift alot easier but really made me feel like a cheater in some ways. Stubborn me would rather wait to fix the barbell form.

Cleans are a new addition I hope to keep in the mix from here on out. 115 felt pretty decent but I do think I use way too much of my arms. I'll go back and rework form a lot next work out.

Elbow feeling very strong.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #17
Charles Moreland

Sunday Workout 9/14

Warmup -

2 minutes rowing
20 air squats
10 push ups
Burgener warm up

Workout -

265# Squats 3x5
70# Weighted Dips 3x5
225# Deadlift (form issue still)
Clean form work with empty bar

PT -

105# Lat Pulldown 3x5

Nothing to say about squats. Feel absolutely amazing. Dips were done slow, but I still think I'll be able to punch out 80-90 before losing it. Deadlifting was done once again on the "0" bar due to my inability to perform well with the regular barbell.

Steve or anyone know if my lack of proper back work could affect my ability to deadlift? The weight doesn't seem heavy at all to my legs, but holding it with my arms and lats really gets me.

Did a lot of clean work today with an empty bar and I think I've nailed it. I'll start adding weight next week to find a proper sweet spot starting point.

Elbow remains strong.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #18
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Do mixed grip.. lats are working but not that much (unless the lbs are way up which they're not for you). If you need to do assistance work then do hip extensions...
Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #19
Charles Moreland

Wednesday Workout 9/17

Warmup -

2 minutes rowing
10 push ups
20 airsquats
Burgener warmup

Workout -

275# Squats 3x5
75# Weighted Dips 3x5
125# Clean 3x5 (form work thus light weight)
225# Deadlift (Still form work)

PT -

110# Lat Pulldown

So I jumped 10#s by accident but squatted just fine.

Dips are destroying me I think. I ended up pulling a muscle in my neck (how?) and now I'm getting ridiculous pain from my supraspinatus levator scapulae area. I went to do a handstand today and the pain shot through my back and felt like a torn muscle. I may take a week off or I may just drop some weight for a week until the pain subsides.

Elbow progressing right on schedule.

Cleans are getting pretty "clean" so far. I'm staying with the low weight until I have worked out the kinks in the transition from the pull to the power jump. Just need more smoothness before I start adding weight.

I promise, video of my deadlifts soon!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
Charles Moreland

Thursday Workout 9/25

Warm up -

2 minutes rowing
20 air squats
10 push ups

Workout -

285# Squat 3x5
135# Chest Press 3x5
125# Power Clean 3x5

PT work -

120# Lat Pulldown 3x5

Ok so, back from my week long hiatus. Spent it well, although I regrettably didn't get enough rest. My supra spinatus and left trap feels much better but is still somewhat sore. I might introduce dips again next week at a lower weight.

Squats felt good, but really slow. I actually requested a spotter on my last set because I was afraid I might not get up. Wasn't needed, form was fine, just slow. Quite a rare occurrence, my glutes actually feel sore; a feeling I haven't had in many many months.

I re-introduced chest presses although I dislike them in place of dips. I stayed low mainly because my trap was giving me issues still. Doesn't make sense...I know...but I could feel strain.

Cleans have gotten alot better and I'll start adding weight to them. My pull and transition have gotten fairly smooth and now are pretty much all one motion.

Elbow! Real excited for this. Getting so close to full recovery. I did however notice something strange. Many of the people I saw doing Lat Pulldowns were perfectly capable of dead hang pull ups, but for some reason could not pull their body weight on the pulldown machines. Is there some factor I'm missing?

Seeing as I'm actually sore today, I might go another day before hitting it again.