Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #1
Grissim Connery

Default False grip on the bottom of the pullup

i can do muscle-ups well. i understand the transition between the pullup and dip. what i don't understand is how to hold the false grip at the bottom of the muscle up. i feel like i should have the strength to do it. i can complete the crossfit workout where you do 30 muscle ups, but everytime i do one i have to start out hanging in the bottom, pull up halfway, curl each hand one at a time into the false grip, and then complete the rep. i have seen the videos where they turn their hands outwards at the botton of the pullup. whenever i try this, the ring slips off my wrist and onto the heel of my hand (the heel opposite the thumb but below the pinky).

should i keep my elbows bent and descend as far as i can with the false grip until i know it will slide off and just continue to work this until i can turn the rings out? i feel like it's a matter of form.
2. are the rings supposed to end up on the heel of the hand at the bottom? if so, are you supposed to beast the rings into the false grip once you reach halfway up the pullup? I feel that i half to switch into the false grip one at a time.
Grissim Connery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Grip the ring tighter.

You may have to stretch your forearm/wrist (extensors mainly) if they're tight and don't allow you to have that nice wrist bend that you need to hold it at the bottom. In fact, if your wrist flexibility is good enough you don't even need to turn the rings out at the bottom... but that's something to work up to.

Quote:
should i keep my elbows bent and descend as far as i can with the false grip until i know it will slide off and just continue to work this until i can turn the rings out? i feel like it's a matter of form.
Sounds fine to me... grip the ring really hard and let your wrists bend more. Make sure you're grabbing up slightly on the side of the ring so the CROOK of your wrist is at the very bottom of the ring.

Quote:
2. are the rings supposed to end up on the heel of the hand at the bottom? if so, are you supposed to beast the rings into the false grip once you reach halfway up the pullup? I feel that i half to switch into the false grip one at a time.
Yes.. that's what a false grip is..

If you're mounting the rings like a gymnast your coach generally lifts you up so you can false grip. Otherwise, unless you're strong enough to pull into a no-false grip muscle up you do have to switch (if the rings are high enough that you can't stand on the ground).
Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Grissim Connery

Now that you mention it, a flexibility issue makes sense. I've been having trouble with a few things recently, and at the same time have been working handstands like crazy. My wrists are prob just being overworked in the stretched position, thus tightening the muscles on the top of the forearm.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Derek Maffett

Also, slippery rings/sweaty wrists will make things much more difficult (this is actually one of the reasons I'm stuck with only six deadhangs... my wrists are slipping off). You might try taping the rings and using chalk.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Grissim Connery

I was messing around trying to find some good stretches and mobility drills for my wrists to loosen them up. the one i found that seems like it would translate best to false grip work would be this:
(now, i know that everybody knows how to do this and probably did it a bunch as a kid, but now it seems cooler seeing how it can be employed)
1. hold your hands up in front of you with your palms facing and bring the elbows together
2. slide one elbow in front of the other (not on top the bicep, not like the eagle position from yoga)
3. keep sliding the arms past each other until your hands pass
4. rotate your palms so that they face each other again
5. interlace the fingers
TADA!! ok so every kid knows how to do this, but what i think is cool about it is that
1. you get a fun wrist mobility drill when going from arms extended to arms curled (fingers interlocked the whole time)
2. at both the extended and curled positions, you can flex your wrists into the false grip positions and either passively stretch one hand with the other, or resist the false grip and actively stretch into the position.

i bet this has been done before, but i was havin fun with it in my sociology class and thought that others should have fun too
Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Grissim Connery

I noticed something else that has started helping a lot. I've been really contracting at the elbow/tricep at the bottom of the pullup. This seems to help my forearm stay stretched over the ring. In order to drill this feeling, i've incorporated some of those jackknife/tricep pushups on the rings. the goal is to keep the false grip the whole time and coordinate the tricep feeling with the false grip.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
Chadron Edwards

I had a friend with similar problem keeping the false grip fix it by lowering his rings to where he had to start his muscle-up from the knees. Then, when he came down, he could go to his feet to control the speed of his decent which prevented him from slipping off the rings. Eventually he got the feel for it.
Chadron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote