Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
LucienNicholson

Default Questions about AKC cert

So, I just registered for the AKC cert in Arizona this October, and I'd like to know how I should prepare. I don't know much about AKC, other than what I've seen on YouTube, read from CrossFit resources like the Journal, read from here, or read on the AKC blog.

I mainly decided to attend based on the performances of Kelly Moore, Steve Cotter, and Cathrine Imes.

Anyway, I'm pretty good at the Dragon Door technique, though not great. I can snatch the 88 lbs KB a few times and I can do the 1.5 pood KB about 170 times for the Secret Service Snatch Test with minimal hand tearing, but I imagine that the long cycle is a different world, as RKC, seems to be geared toward a different set of people.

I want to get the most out of the cert, so I can relay the most to people here where I live. I'd also like to get the sport started out here.

I don't really understand the difference between the DD style and the AKC style, other than the AKC people seem to have a different grip (on the corner of the KB), they keep their heads down, and that they let their feet kind of lift up.

I have about a month and a half to prepare, with access to only a 1 pood, 1.5 pood, and 88lbs KB.

If anyone has gone to an AKC cert, or has any insight, let me know. I'd like to get down the basics before I ask the instructors questions. Mainly, what aspects were hardest to master and what might be the most basic things to get down before arriving?

Thank you in advance.
LucienNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Catherine Imes

As I said on Crossfit (for anyone else reading)

will be an instructor there.

There is nothing you need to do to prepare. Just show up healthy. We don't want you to get the "basics" down : People have to "unlearn" something that they thought they understood. So, the main thing is for you to come with an open mind, and come uninjured so that you can perform all of the exercises.

If we had published material (DVD, books) I would point you to those for practice. Since we don't, the best that I can tell you is to come healthy. We put you through some short timed sets, but it is nothing super intense. We focus on the basics and mastery of the basics and the details of the movements.

The differences you state are not exactly accurate. But that's ok. We'll clear up any misconceptions in AZ.
Catherine Imes is offline   Reply With Quote