Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Craig Snyder

I live on a farm, so I do most of these with my kids all the time. I let my 6 year old drive my golf car around the yard by himself, and he does quite well. My 3 year old and 6 year old can steer our cars into the garage when we park them. I have 2 climbing ropes: a 10 footer in the garage and a 20 footer outside. My 6 year old helped us cut the corn off the cob this fall, and we have made fires so large they call them 'volcanoes' (but when they get that big, it is kind of hard to roast hotdogs over them). He also sets up his own 'ninja warrior' course in my garage, which is basically an obstacle course that he runs through.

I don't let them take anything apart yet though...once they start...they will never stop.

Craig
Craig Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
Blair Lowe

Allen, go buy a few lawn spears at the local renfaire. They are blunt but fun stuff. A kid may be able to throw them but the weight in the front might be too heavy and unbalanced. Or you could cut some bamboo and throw it in the yard.

I was given a knife around 4 and it was actually a dull, rusty knife but I prized it. I was given some sort of swiss army knife around 6, I think and held them, played with them, sharpened them, etc throughout my years as a kid with grandpa. I eventually was in scouts as well. I also was given a Japanese bayonet that served well as a sword till I got way bigger.

Watch them with the fire. My cousin and I set the backyard on fire when we striking a big piece of flint with a hammer. We put it out with the hose but looking back it was pretty dumb. Actually, it's funny as hell to remember though we freaked. However, scouting had prepared us for that so we stomped and kicked the dirt besides the hose. It wasn't very big.

I'm a big proponent of getting boys into judo before they are 6. Mainly because my dad did that to me because I was going to be a runt like he was besides him being judoka. He actually never thought much of karate/kenpo because he thought it made the kids too cocky instead of more humble in judo ( more physical contact, especially with the ground ). I never liked punching anybody in the face. Besides it leaves tell-tale signs of a fight versus a good punch to the gut or choke. Those also end schoolyard fights very fast. I don't think we wrestled in scouts and besides I could never have gotten my cousin to help me with that merit badge or patch.

Our treehouse had chains I hung off the branches. I don't think we had any rope around.

I took swimming before I was in preschool, I think but what really made me good at swimming was the whole thrown into the pool method. Since I went under, I just kicked and swam underneath the surface till the edge. I wasn't very happy about it but did realize swimming under the water was terribly easy and less frightening. I eventually taught 2 of my 3 brothers to swim underwater really easily.

As a kid, I had lincoln logs, legos, constructor sets before we got into some electronics and radios in scouts and afterwards I got to tear apart stuff my grandpa would find. Fun stuff.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #13
Derek Simonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
The Boy Scouts used to cover 95% of this.
It is a shame they don't anymore. I put my time in and enjoyed it immensely. I did a lot of things in Scouts that will stay with me forever. I can remember the first time I swam a mile, spent the night in the forest by myself with only my knife and sleeping bag (there were adults around but they had us spread out over a really wide area so we had the impression we were alone), hiked through swamps up over my waist, canoed down some really cool rivers and hiked the entire Ocala National Forest trail.

Even back when I was a scout our troop did so much more in the outdoors then the majority of troops we knew.

Good times.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM   #14
Craig Snyder

I learned more from my martial arts instructor about surviving outdoors that I did in boy scouts.

Of course my MA instructor was quite global in his instruction, it is a shame that it is like that nowadays. BSs have gotten soft in my opinion.

Craig
Craig Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote