Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Default First attempt at single-meal eating...

Well, my max seems to be about 3lbs of food eaten over a 45 minute period. I've still got another 2-3 pounds of food to eat tonight though, so I'm going to have to take another go at that once I've given myself a short break.

This meal is coming off a ~21 hour fast; I didn't even feel hungry when I began eating, but I know I have to eat at some point. So far, I've consumed about 16oz of turkey and ham, along with 4 hardboiled medium eggs, about 30 red grapes, 3oz of olive oil (didn't want to push it since vomiting would have sucked), about 20 Brazil nuts, and a load of salad veggies slathered in ranch dressing. Unfortunately, ranch is the only dressing they have at the college dining halls which is not fat-free or "light."

I think if I really worked at it, I could do a single, discrete, meal each day. Though, why would I want to? Today simply had bad scheduling (only one hour free in the afternoon to eat). I suppose it's good to know I can do it if necessary.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Oye... Couldn't get it... Quit at 1lb for the second go. Much better than going to far and loosing it all on the carpet... Ugh...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Scott Kustes

You can open that window up a bit. There's no need to uncomfortably stuff yourself. That's not healthy either.

As for ranch being the only dressing, where did you get the 3oz of olive oil?

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

For that particular day, I couldn't open up the window any more. (Like I said, I had a pretty packed schedule.) It wasn't at all uncomfortable either until about 2.5lbs into it, when my stomach suddenly felt full.

The olive oil is something I brought with me to college... Grabbed 5L from Trader Joe's before I left home...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Liam Dougherty Springer

I have been contemplating the utility of such a eating window....

I think it would honestly be fun to have a sunday brunch full of fruit, nuts... digestive enzymes and fish oil, eggs, bacon, sausage, steak, , a little sprouted grain toast slathered in coconut oil and fried parsnips and onions with kale slathered in olve oil, maybe a little raw cheeze and a glass of raw milk. I garantee I could fit 3000 calories and 160+ grams of protein, carbs and fat.... though I probrably wouldn't worry if I went under on the carbs.

The Idea would be a long fast 20+ hours some O lift form work a heavy deadlift day and some extensive trunk strengthening with maybe a little bench for good measure warmdown stretch out....
....then FEAST!!!! ...then REST!! .....then SLEEP!!!

What a lovely Sunday afternoon. Then probrably fast like 15 hours and have an all day eat low carb low cal style.

I feel like this could be a way to put my body into a state of readily receiving the food suplus and utilizing the intense anibolic state while still leaving a fairly small window of time in the old Insulin envelope, thus allowing any fat gin to be utilized over the following day and the muscle/ strength gain to stick.

Not something I would be planning on doing all the time but variety is the spice of life and all...

My fear is that I would be in such a macronutrient surplus that I would be unable to utilize the nutrition and would then store the majority as fat and not receive the bennifits or recover properly.

I would love to here any opinions or experiences
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Mike Wright

Admittedly, I dont know much about IF. What is the basic idea behind it? Mineral absorbsion, testosterone levels? Thanks in advanced, Mike.
Mike Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright View Post
Admittedly, I dont know much about IF. What is the basic idea behind it? Mineral absorbsion, testosterone levels? Thanks in advanced, Mike.
Have you searched around here before? You'll find tons of stuff in the IF subforum.

Otherwise, check out Mike OD's blog... the if life.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Quote:
All of these benefits

Fitness Spotlight
Scott Kustes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Too many to be named...but simply put improved digestion (and nutrient utilization because of it), improved cellular health and cleansing, decreased inflammation, increased insulin sensitivity, increased GH levels, etc. Longevity also comes along with all that.

Here's a whole host of studies if you want more science behind it
http://www.theiflife.com/resources/
Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Mike Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
Too many to be named...but simply put improved digestion (and nutrient utilization because of it), improved cellular health and cleansing, decreased inflammation, increased insulin sensitivity, increased GH levels, etc. Longevity also comes along with all that.

Here's a whole host of studies if you want more science behind it
http://www.theiflife.com/resources/
Thanks all, good stuff. I may be trying this soon.
Mike Wright is offline   Reply With Quote