Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Supplements

Old 12-23-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
John Seiler

Default What supplements would a responsible gym/trainer sell?

From what I see it looks like a multi-vitamin/mineral, ZMA, and fish oil. Am I missing anything?

Also, are their any brands anyone recommends? I've been using the Beverly Intl Super Pack multi and their ZMA, and the Nordic Naturals Cod Liver Oil. Anything better out there?

Thanks.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Frank Needham

Check out iherb, recommended to me my Robb thank you very much:

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDe...&pid=NOW-02200

I've not been disappointed by them yet and the prices are great.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:04 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

If you are looking at health, I would add in probiotics and digestive enzymes. If your gut isn't in good working order....then nothing else is going to work optimally around it. I take Vit C in 1000mg doses too for a good antioxidant.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

Frank/Rob-
Wow thanks alot for that link. I was getting my raped at my local health food store. They were literally charging me double the price for the exact same products. Last time I go there.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

It all depends on your philosophy and how big of an income stream you want from the supplements.

For many big gyms, it's a big deal and a moneymaker. Even with small personal training facilities, it is a popular way to make more money. Many small facility owners also sell hard to fine expensive brands like Musashi and the ilk.

Take, for example, premixed drinks. Even in community center or YMCA gyms with just a machine dispensing gatorade or powerade, I see many people drinking these during and after training.

One of the gyms I used to go to used to keep a pretty full line of pre and post workout drinks, about 10 different kinds. He stopped after he noticed that he could buy Red Bull in bulk quantities and make better money selling that, instead of the "bodybuilding" drinks.

If you are just interested in providing the "right" supplements to your clients, then you might as well just go with the small list of a few decent proteins, creatine, fish oil, multi, ZMA, etc.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Aimee Anaya Everett
Administrator

I take fish oil (Costco has a good one), creatine (Jarrow or Prolab), Glutamine (Jarrow Formulas), and Glucosamine Chondroitin w/ MSM (Jarrow Formulas). And don't forget the protein- egg protein, MRM has a good Whey, and CytoSport has a good weight gainer that I am currently taking.

www.aimeescupcakes.com
www.cathletics.com
Aimee Anaya Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Frank Needham

oops....
Old 12-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
John Seiler

Steve,

To be more specific, I run an upscale athletic club. I would like to increase the revenue of our small Sport Shop. Three things motivate my product selection:
1. I don't want a ton of inventory.
2. I want to expose our members to products that will improve their health.
3. I don't want to sell anything that isn't worthwhile. Regardless of the income stream, if the products aren't worthwhile, I can't ethically justify selling them.

Cost isn't really an issue for most of our members but value is. That's why I'm interesting in opinions on brands of the various items. Thanks for all the replies so far.

BTW, Aimee, a woman taking weight gainer? I LOVE IT!!!

Last edited by John Seiler : 12-26-2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Add content.
John Seiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
Frank Needham

I think L-glutamine and whey is a good one that I've tried out which seems to help, again, recommended here. There is one other I want to try out, as I continue to study, and try things out on myself. Creatine monohydrate would be it.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
Robb Wolf

John-
I think your list is a good one. I guess it brushes on a grey area of ethics, but you know your stuff and it does not apepar you are trying to load folks carbs full of sups. If you stock it you have a lot better chance of folks getting it NOW. That is likely a good thing IMO.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote