Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 08-20-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
joe waguespack

Default Replacing Carb blocks with Fat blocks

I saw an older post of Rob Wolf's where he answered a question about upping fat blocks. He suggested that the OP add 3 fat blocks for every Carb block that was removed, the example was if you remove 6 carb blocks from your daily intake than add 18 fat blocks. This interests me because I have recently been experimenting with a lower carb intake. I'm always trying something new and this is my latest. I IF right now with great results, but have still been sticking with a loose Zone block framework for my daily intake. I just like having a template to work from when it comes to intake, I'm OCD like that.

If I wanted to drop carbs out completely as an experiment and I am doing 16 blocks a day, would that mean that I add 48 fat blocks on top of the already existing 16 fat blocks, thats 64 blocks of fat?! If that is the case , does that refer to fat as 3 grams per block or 1.5 grams per block.

So if I understand this correctly, my daily intake would be 16 blocks of protein and 64 blocks of fat.

Don't know if I really just misunderstood this or not, but it's something I would like to try and want to get it right.
Here is the original post:

http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...hread.php?t=36
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

You are not getting rid of your ice cream....who are you kidding.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
joe waguespack

Ha, Ha. Thats where my weekend carb-up would fit in.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Craig Brown

Joe-

Never having had the patience for zone, I do the (ice cream & dairy now) paleo esque thang...just up your fats, eat a ton of veggies and meat, and you should be fine.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
joe waguespack

yeah I know, but I use diets more for experimentation sometimes to see "what if". Whenever I find something that works I tend to start playing with it to see what changes come about. More for research and building a dietary database, if you will.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Craig Brown

Joe-

Understood. I mainly see weirdness when people aren't adding in enough vegetables...I function best when I'm at 50% of energy from fat, a lot of protein, and a pound or more of veggies for (each) lunch and dinner. I think the milk & ice cream obviously help with the glycogen reloading. I don't do too much fruit. Should probably add a little more.

I'm fairly famous at my over-fat and over-medicated office for the absolute shit-ton of veggies I eat as lunch. Somehow the spectacle of this never seems to grow old...

Craig
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
joe waguespack

Yeah, I've been reading up on the Anabolic Diet and it kind of intrigues me. I kind of started implementing the idea of it along with IF for the past few days and go for high fat , high protein and am just throwing broccoli and spinach in as a freebee as far as calories and carbs go. I'm going to play with it for a few weeks and see what happens. I have my fat se at around 60 % and protein at 35% and carbs at 5%. Coupled with IF this should be interesting, if I don't get bored with it in a few days.LOL
Old 08-31-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Liam Dougherty Springer

Befor I read the Zone book I thought a proper fat block was 3g thats how the math works, don' quite know why its 1.5g... someone said it is assumeing there is 1.5g of fat per protein block in your prtein source... anyway... the story is that when I first read 42 ways to skin the zone I still thought that a block was 3g so when I adjusted my diet to highfat with fewer overall blocks I went to ten times fat. I also was trying to gain weight at the time so on some days I was takeing in like 24 blocks of carbs 32 blocks of protein and like 260 blocks of fat. It was Intense. After about 10+ days I re read the article do to nausea and worked out the math to figure out I was eating twice as much fat as was suggested. I still laugh about that. My buddy at the Gym who is a long time CFer and Heavy lifter turned me on to PM and got a real kick out of my valient attempts to consume >5000 calories a day
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Matt Kloepfer

hey joe, how is that anabolic diet approach working for ya?
Matt Kloepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
joe waguespack

I thought it was working pretty well, I got through my first carb up and then returned back to the high fat protocol. I noticed that I had smoothed out pretty good from the carb load (which I read happens from holding water, and usually subsides after a few days of low carbs). Well, the smoothness never went away and It seemed that I began adding BF quickly. I was pretty lean when i started so it was easy to see that BF was coming on. It was also a pain in the ass to have to watch every carb I put in my mouth. I went back to my lower calorie paleo-ish/IF diet that I was following before and now it seems like I am adding BF daily, I'm not sure what is going on. I did get petty screwed up with training and being able to track caloric intake due to having to evacuate for hurricane Gustave. I may try it again when I know I won't have any screw ups. I think it's one of those diets that you really have to watch everything closely at the beginning , until you get the hang of it.