Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #1
John Haydon Boatner

Default calories too shoot for

Anybody know what a good range of calories/lb too shoot for while IFing and trying to gain. Ignoring extra activity how much would one try to eat to gsin at a slow-moderate pace while keeping fat gain minimal/at bay?
John Haydon Boatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Thomas Bailly

Do you know how much you are doing and not gaining?
I'd say that plus 200 to 500 cals a day of many lean protein.

Disclaimer: I'm a skinny guy into improving strength but not weight or mass and zero scientific backing for what I just said. But generally speaking "start where you are and add (or remove) something" is the standard method for progress in most areas of life.
Thomas Bailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Derek Weaver

I believe the standard in terms of maintenance is typically something like 14-16 cal/lb. of bodyweight.

So figure that range out then start working your way up. You're pretty much always going to gain at least a little fat when gaining though.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
John Haydon Boatner

Also, based on everyones personal experience is it advantageous to eat a small pre workout meal on lifting days. Does it help with carb utilization? Whats the purpose of it. I have been doing this to gain weight and have been working out fasted (BCAA's called purple wraath and a NO2 product with caffiene) and I have been having great workouts. I was just wondering if it would be advised to eat a small pre wo meal 2 hours or so before since I am trying to gain weight (and some of my workout day carbs would get used up instead of jsut eating all my carbs post workout).
Old 09-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
John Haydon Boatner

And maintenence for me would be about 2000 so add 200-500 and adjust from there?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Craig Brown

Tom- add 500 a day for a week or so, then just keep doing that. And by that I mean from wherever you actually are now...then do it again the following week, until you start gaining. For me that number is pretty damn big. I maintain just fine anywhere between 2500-3000 a day, and need to get to 3500-4500 to actually gain much. Which is vaguely scary, but it is what it is...I'm 41, 5'10, 177 right now.
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote