Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Community > Community & Events

Old 09-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Default Is this supposed to be a joke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKuIMOB6i8&NR=1

I need someone to remind me again why the football players get Olympic lifting equipment and why the rest of the campus is stuck with shitty bars and machines...
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
josh everett

looks like a guy getting 455lbs(that's what a comment said) from the floor to his shoulders. It's ugly but impressive. I'd like to see what he could eventually do if he learns sound technique.
josh everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Jarod Barker

455 is impressive even if it is ugly, but how many times do you think he can do that before he blows his knees out or worse? The S&C coaches should be fired for not teaching them better.
Jarod Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Jesse Woody

apparently this is a common movement in college weight rooms, and is what they call a hang power clean...check out this thread on power and bulk:

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34684

When I saw the initial video I was like WTF?! Then I ended up seeing like 5 different videos, even one with a tutorial for this weird high-pull/shrug, bouncing sumo landing power clean...

I dunno' even though it's 455, it's just goofy looking at best, and dangerous as hell at worst!

The best is still the first lift from the 3rd kid in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvMu...eature=related
Jesse Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

I'm still waiting for somebody to do a full side split clean. Incidentally, would that cause knee or hip fracture? Or both? I was practically waiting for his knees to suddenly bend approximately ninety degrees the wrong way...

Are those kids high school freshmen or college freshmen? It's kind of funny - they might not even listen to someone like me telling them their form stinks because I actually clean less than the lowest weight listed there.
Derek Maffett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
josh everett

I just wonder why bother to take the time to post this just to rip on the kid & his coaches? If you really cared you would e-mail the strength staff at Maryland and write a polite and imformed e-mail as to why allowing this technique is dangerous and how it can be corrected. If you get a negative response then the gloves can come off.
We should be posting links like this one of Tommy Moffitt of LSU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIqB_...eature=related
this was found just to the right of the maryland video... didn't take much work to get there.

Patrick: college recreation centers exist to serve the student population... they will supply whatever the students demand... right now students demand a 24 hour fitness model. Get a couple dozen students to demand better equipment and you might get some good stuff to use.

Derek: people/kids will listen to you if you have expert knowledge and have to ability to communicate/relate/teach it to them. Your ability to physically perform at an elite level will only hold thier attention for maybe a day. I've never seen anyone ask Coach Burgener to do a clean before they would listen to him.
josh everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Woody View Post
apparently this is a common movement in college weight rooms, and is what they call a hang power clean...check out this thread on power and bulk:

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=34684

When I saw the initial video I was like WTF?! Then I ended up seeing like 5 different videos, even one with a tutorial for this weird high-pull/shrug, bouncing sumo landing power clean...
Wow. This is normal for college? I had seen similar stuff during high school (though normally much lighter weight, so I wasn't very concerned), but you would think in college that they would actually care about making sure their athletes don't hurt themselves in the weight room, or just submit themselves to so much damage that something snaps while on the field, which could end up being a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Are those kids high school freshmen or college freshmen? It's kind of funny - they might not even listen to someone like me telling them their form stinks because I actually clean less than the lowest weight listed there.
University of Maryland football players. Not even all Freshman - the guy in the video I linked to was at least a Sophomore from the video description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh everett View Post
Patrick: college recreation centers exist to serve the student population... they will supply whatever the students demand... right now students demand a 24 hour fitness model. Get a couple dozen students to demand better equipment and you might get some good stuff to use.

Trust me, I am indeed working on that. Even with a decent demand though, I'm not sure if the equipment would follow. In general, there is a fear that the Olympic lifts are "too dangerous" to perform, and with videos like the one's in Jesse's P&B link floating all over YouTube, you can't really blame that line of thought.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Frank Needham

Some of what equipment is doled out to students is dependent on the school you might be attending also. At UNLV for instance the school just spent several millions dollars on a new school fitness facility for the students. The place has thousands of square feet of space comprised of indoor hockey, indoor basketball, indoor track, indoor swimming, raquetball, weight training (including a couple oly platforms). I'd use the hell out of it if my schedule was different. The stuff they have there makes my backyard gym look stupid.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What the hell. It's pretty disappointing that I went to UMaryland with those S&C coaches. Epic failure.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

If the goal is simply to get the weight to the shoulders, sure, got that.

If the goal is to improve "drive", from the line through an opposing player, that two-part (or 3,4,5-part) movement wouldn't be as helpful as a straight PC would, IMO.

Some S&C is simply brutal to watch, with the athletes often paying the price in pain for the rest of their lives. C'est la vie.

Josh's training progression for his athletes that he covered at the Patch seminar was really cool, FWIW.
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote