Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 12-24-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Yael Grauer

Default i am so sick of eating...

It looks like I've been eating the same damn thing for months on end:

breakfast: eggs, or eggs and bacon, or a shake with raw milk/raw eggs/berries
lunch: salad with salmon or tuna, some kinda homemade dressing and kimchee
dinner: beef or chicken with some veggie or other
snacks: nuts, avocados, fruit, sometimes carrots with almond butter
high carb day: sweet potatoes and such and less protein

Anyways, I'm pretty tired of this and need some variety. Suggestions?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Yael,
The food possiblities are limitless. I mean there is so many different meals you can make and experiment with I don't even know where to tell you to start. If you're a salad person like myself - you can throw all kinds of different stuff in a bowl in order to karal your taste buds. Fried red onions, tomatoes, veggies, calamari rings, olive oil, spices, etc the list can go on and on. Check out some of Art DeVaney's concouctions....he has a lot of tasty suggestions.
The key to it all is creativity. Pick out your favorite foods and just play "kitchen." Have fun with it.
Steve Liberati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
Yael Grauer

I love making salads but they are always the same: spinach or lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, a little kimchee. I guess I could actually use that Weston Price cookbook I bought.

I guess I just really miss all the food I used to make in the past...minestrone, lasagne, dal, chili with corn masa dumplings, burritos, paella, rice croquettes, quiche, tamales, couscous, tabouleh, Thai noodle salad...not to mention rice pudding and pancakes and all that.

I've been trying to buy different veggies whenever I see 'em but can't get over the feeling that meat, veggies and salad is just not as much fun.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
Eva Claire Synkowski

yael - have you tried almond flour for the panackes, etc? ive been meaning to order some (http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/flour.html) and looks like a good paleo sub for baked goods.

and youve likely tried it too, but boiled spaghetti squash, and then using a fork make "noodles" is a pretty good sub in noodle dishes.
Eva Claire Synkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Thanks, yeah I have some recipes from Lucy's Non-Specific Carbohydrate Diet or whatever it's called that I've played with... but almond flour is expensive and I like baking ALL THE TIME. Or I used to...

That is funny about the noodles. I first saw people doing that at a raw foods cult I visited. Maybe I just need to play with more stews and soups or something. I just bought a ton of sunchokes for variety.

I just miss my house smelling of minestrone or fresh-baked bread or chocolate-chip cookies in the winter. Now it smells like...salmon and spinach, or something.

If anybody knows any good paleo comfort food, please share. I'll buy some more P-Menu back issues too.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
Frank Needham

Well, since you like meat, and you like salad, why not meat salads....otherwise known as chef salads. You can put any kind of meat in salads and they are quite tasty that way. Chuck in some nuts or other crunchies for texture differences and you're good to go. Krikey!! now I'm hungry!!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Neal Winkler

Well, hopefully it comes back up but this page had more recipes than you would know qhat to do with.

paleofood.com
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
Bobby Spencer

Why not just go ahead and eat your lasagne or cookies every now and then. Maybe once a month or so. Depending on how long you've been eating Paleo or just plain healthy, you'll probably barely be able to stomach them anyway which will probably make them easier to resist in the future. All of my friends know how meticulous I am about my food, but on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day, I eat what everyone else is eating. I am usually so sick the next day that all I need are those 3 days per year of eating like "everybody else".

I would like to try those Paleo Thanksgiving recipes though.
Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I beseech you therefore,brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Romans 12:1
Bobby Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
Yael Grauer

Actually I had some microwave lasagna the other day at my friend's house who I'm catsitting for, and it just makes things worse! Wheat makes me super depressed for some reason. Then I spend the next day trying to figure out why I'm so depressed until I put 2 and 2 together. So I think wheat makes me really slow, too. Next time I'm craving it I'll substitute quinoa or something, or at least presoak it...

Maybe I'll try minestrone without the shells, it's mostly the spices and things that smell yummy, right?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I'll try to come up with some creative recipes soon to keep everything varied and yummy...
Old 12-26-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yael Grauer View Post
Actually I had some microwave lasagna the other day at my friend's house who I'm catsitting for, and it just makes things worse! Wheat makes me super depressed for some reason. Then I spend the next day trying to figure out why I'm so depressed until I put 2 and 2 together. So I think wheat makes me really slow, too. Next time I'm craving it I'll substitute quinoa or something, or at least presoak it...

Minus the cat sitting I agree with you....if I have a heavy carb meal...I am basically slower, more tired, brain fog, not motivated, can't really focus much....and yes depression can happen because of all of the above....so I try to stay away from even during the holiday season....I find that meats, fats, eating light and a little hungry with a shot of expresso makes me super focused....and as soon as I add the carbs.....slllloooooowwwwwwweerrrrrrrrrr

PS. Guiness is not a carb....it is life blood.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote