Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #21
Derek Weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Emery View Post
Man, maybe i should be eating more.

Here is a quote from Rippetoe on StrengthMill forum when members asked what he used to eat.

---------------

"Okay, you want to know what I ate. I have eaten a dozen eggs for breakfast before, but always ate 6 with toast and milk, and 5 bowls of raisin bran was quite normal until my members asked to stop doing that. I have eaten 11 10-oz. steaks at an all-you-can-eat steak deal -- several of us went there, and the special was discontinued the following week. I have eaten 4 very large plates of spaghetti and meat sauce in 30 minutes. I have eaten 15 pork chops + vegetables at the Olympic Training Center back when the food was really good. I have eaten 225 shrimp in an hour. At a seafood buffet in Michigan, I ate 10 lobsters and the claws off of 10 more, in addition to shrimp, crab legs, lobster bisque, clam chowder, and bread, in 2 hours. I have eaten 7 big bowls of Mongolian BBQ. I have had a gallon of milk in less than 30 minutes. I was very expensive to feed, but I am told by reputable sources that I was absolutely nothing compared to Phil Grippaldi."

And folks, for weight-gaining purposes, "eating clean" is not a useful concept. Big Macs are.
-----------------------------

Just a note to everyone else, if you have not drank milk for a few months don't go and try to drink half a gallon of whole milk in a day. That evening was not a pleasant one.

Anton
It may not have been pleasant, but I'll bet it was hilarious. Good work on the eating. I saw that post by Rip on the Strength Mill. That is real eating. Makes me feel like a pussy.

How's the progress going?
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #22
Anton Emery

Progress is going ok. Just started Week 3 today. Squat is at 220lbs now. Feeling heavier but doable. Press is at 105, bench at 165, Deadlift at 235. All for 3 x 5.

I am curious how long i can ride this out. I am intermediate on Rip's Barbell Strength Standards. I have just been adding five pounds to the bar every time i go in, though ten pounds on the deadlift. I was always a horrible presser, so i may get stuck with the bench and press pretty soon.

I am about ten pounds heavier so far. Definitely some additional fat, i think i ate a bit to much in the beginning. I feel i have gained some muscle in my upper back/shoulders as well as posterior chain. I can get rid of the fat later on, if i can keep progressing on the lifts then i will be happy.

I have been grappling a few days a week, trying to keep it light, but occasionally I'll get competitive and roll hard. I don't feel the additional weight is hurting me. I am bit more tired on the mats, but i think that is due to not rolling much lately, as opposed to the extra fat/muscle.

Anton
Anton Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
Derek Weaver

Good stuff. Don't get into the mind set that you're likely going to stall out soon. If you stall, back off, get back at it.

By your numbers, I am guessing you've got a ways to go with your linear progression. Get after it, eat a ton and enjoy the ride.

It's all about getting really, really strong.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #24
Gant Grimes
Super Moderator

Man, I'm late to a good thread.

Keep rolling. Just rehydrate and eat. Post JJ sessions are a good opportunity to take in more carbs than you normally would (which helps the reload MOD is referring to).

Like Derek said, quit planning on a plateau. If you're getting close, you picked your starting weights too high. It doesn't matter where you are on Rip's strength charts. Plow ahead and get it done.

SS is plenty of volume. I gained 16 pounds on a very low volume program. I didn't run from grains as much, I supplemented with beer, I added 60g protein a day, and I ate a lot of ice cream before bed. It was great.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #25
Jacob Rowell

Sounds like you're doing well. I'll second what Gant said - don't worry about when it's going to pan out, or what being an intermediate lifter means. I've done SS, read all of Rip's books, but it sure as hell made me overthink my training (which ultimately lead to overtraining and complete lack of progression for awhile). It was entirely my fault, but I see a lot of people trying to fit themselves neatly into categories when it isn't necessarily helpful. mass gain is one of those times.

Hell, eat enough and you'll be able to hang around weekly linear progress for a good while.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #26
Anton Emery

Well still making progress. Squat is at 255, bench 185, press 125, deadlift 265. All for 3 x 5. Surprisingly i have just been able to keep adding weight to the bar. I may have to start micro-loading the press soon. I managed to get them all at 125 last time, but had to drop the last rep from overhead due to fatigue.

I've definitely gained some weight, ten pounds at least. I can see more muscle in my shoulders, back, and chest, and legs. Some more fat around the middle too, which my wife kids me about. But if i can keep adding weight to the bar its fine for now. I can get rid of the fat later.

I have been trying to work milk back into my diet, as its an easy source of protein and calories, but my digestive system cant seem to handle it anymore. It sends me to the bathroom more times than i would like. And i am just trying for maybe half a gallon a day. We'll see, if its still giving me problems after this gallon is empty i might just stop the milk.

So far i have really been enjoying this. Don't know why i didnt do it sooner. Certain things have become a little more difficult, like riding my bike home from work uphill. But i tell myself its just temporary.

Anton
Old 10-22-2008, 07:05 PM   #27
Derek Weaver

sounds pretty good Anton. Where did the deadlift start out at?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 AM   #28
Anton Emery

The deadlift started at 225. Out of all my lifts i had the best idea of that one, as i pulled double BW at my previous weight of 160lbs.

I had that phase this morning where the skinny guy has gained some fat is now worried about it. In about a month i have put on 15lbs. Thats probably a bit fast, as i have definitely gained some fat. But my lifts are going up, and i get hungry, so i am not sure if i should back off the calories.

Anton
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #29
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Emery View Post
Just a note to everyone else, if you have not drank milk for a few months don't go and try to drink half a gallon of whole milk in a day. That evening was not a pleasant one.
You could test out QOKAD (instead of GOMAD).....Quart of Kefir a Day. Less glamourous than milk and far less sugars (unless you get the flavored one), but more healthy bacteria....that should not give you any issues going the bathroom. Just a thought.....experimenting with it myself, and I can't do milk very well.....
Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
Chris Puckett

Hi Anton, It looks like we started SS about the same time. How is the progress going? just found this tonight. I just had to take a week off due to a stomach virus but I was back at it tonight. I reset back to week 7 and started back in. Overall my progress with SS has been fantastic, and I have steadily increased all of my lifts every workout, now in PR territory every workout. I stalled a few times on the deadlift and press, but made progress after I started doing dips and Romanian deadlifts as add ons. I gained over 15lbs, started at 5'9" 181, now at 196. I am going to use December to do crossfit, lift a couple of times a week, and get back down in weight. In january, feb & march I plan to do another 12 weeks of SS. Anyhow, hope the progress is happening.
Chris Puckett is offline   Reply With Quote