Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 AM   #101
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
From your workout or something else?

I hurt my left hip flexor recently when I fell down the stairs. My left foot was the leg that flew out in front of me as I landed on my back. Sucked.
I felt a twinge during front squats yesterday, and it was sore all yesterday while flying. This morning confirmed my fears. I may take the rest of the week off to let it heal up.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #102
Daniel Olmstead

Hey George, we went and watched the Blue Angels this weekend, and watching them scream around the sky I thought of you and your g-pulling. Even from the ground it looks rough!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 AM   #103
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
Hey George, we went and watched the Blue Angels this weekend, and watching them scream around the sky I thought of you and your g-pulling. Even from the ground it looks rough!
When done, over and over again it can be a great full body workout. Its basically just a huge lower body isometric hold to force blood up to your brain, and then you valsalva breathe ever 2-3 seconds. You then have to be able to move your upper body to fly against the Gs so your 10 pound cranium is then 20-60 pounds. Great workout!

Unfortunately right now with my right hip flexor pulled, I'm kind of limited to flying as about my only full-body workout. I might do some light rowing today, but I want this to heal well before I start doing anything heavy again.

Haven't come up with a plan yet as far as how I want to train for this event. Will probably be CF + extra oly lifting.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #104
Kevin Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
When done, over and over again it can be a great full body workout. Its basically just a huge lower body isometric hold to force blood up to your brain, and then you valsalva breathe ever 2-3 seconds. You then have to be able to move your upper body to fly against the Gs so your 10 pound cranium is then 20-60 pounds. Great workout!

Unfortunately right now with my right hip flexor pulled, I'm kind of limited to flying as about my only full-body workout. I might do some light rowing today, but I want this to heal well before I start doing anything heavy again.

Haven't come up with a plan yet as far as how I want to train for this event. Will probably be CF + extra oly lifting.
Major respect for you guys, I alays get dizzy watching the Blue Angels and the other pilots perform. Crazy cool stuff.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #105
George Mounce

3 rounds of:
4 min row
2 min rest

1 - 1143m
2 - 1062m
3 - 1059m
Old 10-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #106
George Mounce

For time:
Row 750m
25 pull-ups
Row 500m
50 push-ups
Row 250m
75 sit-ups

11:04
Old 10-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #107
George Mounce

Right hip flexor area still tight. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

It feels like the area between where your leg and groin meet, and I can really feel it when going down into an OHS. It does not hurt when I turn my leg inward (foot pointed in) but I can feel when I turn my whole leg out.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #108
Leo Soubbotine

George - have you recently upped the volume of back squats or any squatting movement where your feet are turned out?

I've noticed with myself and a few of our folks - that sometimes the adductors get really sore whenever we a) introduce a heavy back squat load for the first time or b) up the volume of squatting/switch from singles to sets of 5 across etc.

Most recent one I had was after Rip's cert - when I squatted there 3x5 while normally I was doing 1-3 reps and I couldn't squat for a few days - my adductor would cramp up every time I tried to do so.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #109
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Soubbotine View Post
George - have you recently upped the volume of back squats or any squatting movement where your feet are turned out?

I've noticed with myself and a few of our folks - that sometimes the adductors get really sore whenever we a) introduce a heavy back squat load for the first time or b) up the volume of squatting/switch from singles to sets of 5 across etc.

Most recent one I had was after Rip's cert - when I squatted there 3x5 while normally I was doing 1-3 reps and I couldn't squat for a few days - my adductor would cramp up every time I tried to do so.
Yes, front squats, lots more. That is exactly what is happening to me, I can't freaking squat right now and its pissing me off. Perhaps the change up I'm doing getting ready for the 2009 adventure challenges here in Mississippi instead of doing OLY volume may help me out.

My plan right now is to go WOD/OLY/WOD+CFE and switching up running and rowing for the CFE.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #110
George Mounce

Angry Ribs

I just posted this in a CrossFit forum thread about ribs, thought I would put it here.

I use the same recipe for chicken, turkey, brisket, you name it. Works every time.

Remove membrane, rub with cinnamon, salt, pepper, ground chipotle, and cumin (sorry amounts are my secret). Cover in plastic wrap and put in fridge for 24 hours.

Smoke for 4 hours at 200-225 with mesquite and hickory (I soak the wood for 1 hour prior to using). Use organic apple cider as your mop sauce, applying once an hour, I also flip the ribs at this time. After 4 hours, use mop sauce one more time, cover completely with tin foil (shiny side in) and keep in smoker or put in oven at 200 for another 4 hours.

Serve on platter, drizzling with juices that are left in the tin foil.