Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 09-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #41
George Mounce

Just a thought - I finally realized what the stretch reflex feels like today while doing the front squats of all things (while I was probably also using it in the OHS, I didn't focus on it in my head). Those front squats when I actually mentally focused on the stretch reflex occurring were ridiculously easy. I swear I think I could have just added another 40-50 pounds easily for the second two sets when the light came on during the first. Hopefully this awakening of body awareness will stay with me through my rest day tomorrow.

Plan is on rest days to throw in skill exercises with just the bar to help keep the muscle memory on track for training days. Very excited at the things I'm learning through reading Olympic Weightlifting and having the tools finally in my home gym to do the exercises.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #42
Anthony Bainbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
What exactly is a foodie?
Someone who obsesses over flavor and recipes and ...

We tried the banana bread pancakes - pretty good, but not as good at the ones in Scott's book (with hot blueberries). Gonna make a few tweaks tomorrow and see how they turn out though.
Anthony Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:31 AM   #43
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
Someone who obsesses over flavor and recipes and ...

We tried the banana bread pancakes - pretty good, but not as good at the ones in Scott's book (with hot blueberries). Gonna make a few tweaks tomorrow and see how they turn out though.
Not for everyone, and you have to be perfect with almond flour or it does tend to not work so well. It was more used as a way to get rid of all the extra almond flour I had and the bananas sitting on the table before they went bad. I tend to make up recipes out of necessity, or they just happen when an idea pops into my head. If you find a better way to make them, by all means do tell!

You should fuss over flavor, why would you eat something that didn't taste good?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #44
Anthony Bainbridge

Quote:
You should fuss over flavor, why would you eat something that didn't taste good?
I don't eat things that taste bad, but I'm not fussy if things taste "plain" either. Grilled meat with no sauce or spice, garden salad, and nuts or nut butter and I'm good to go.

I'm eating a second attempt your pancakes right now - much better. She blended everything and used a bit of coconut milk and water to thin it out so the pancakes cooked more like a crepe. I think she added a bit more pumpkin spice too - either that or my cold is finally going away.
Anthony Bainbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #45
Patrick Haskell

Quote:
Just a thought - I finally realized what the stretch reflex feels like today while doing the front squats of all things (while I was probably also using it in the OHS, I didn't focus on it in my head). Those front squats when I actually mentally focused on the stretch reflex occurring were ridiculously easy. I swear I think I could have just added another 40-50 pounds easily for the second two sets when the light came on during the first. Hopefully this awakening of body awareness will stay with me through my rest day tomorrow.

Plan is on rest days to throw in skill exercises with just the bar to help keep the muscle memory on track for training days. Very excited at the things I'm learning through reading Olympic Weightlifting and having the tools finally in my home gym to do the exercises.
Feeling the SSR is a great epiphany. When I took up SS this spring, I found it pretty quickly, thanks mostly to my inflexible hamstrings. Now that I'm working on a HB squat, I don't have as good a feel for it. It's there, but with an upright torso, it doesn't do me as much good. I do think that will improve with practice, but to find it on the front squat of all things (as you said) is remarkable.

I'm loving Greg's book too. As an added, um, bonus, I'm recovering from a back injury, so I'm getting lots of practice doing drills with PVC and an empty bar. My bumps and bar are en route, so hopefully I'll heal up soon, so I can play with some weight when they do.
Patrick Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #46
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Bainbridge View Post
I don't eat things that taste bad, but I'm not fussy if things taste "plain" either. Grilled meat with no sauce or spice, garden salad, and nuts or nut butter and I'm good to go.

I'm eating a second attempt your pancakes right now - much better. She blended everything and used a bit of coconut milk and water to thin it out so the pancakes cooked more like a crepe. I think she added a bit more pumpkin spice too - either that or my cold is finally going away.
Hope you are feeling better! I agree with you on that point, a long time ago when I went Paleo I was amazed at how good plain items can taste without the need to super spice things up.

Coconut milk sounds like a great idea!

I'm currently smoking some pork ribs for tonight, trying out a new mop sauce, I'll post it if it adds the flavor I'm hoping for. I really want to get a sauce I can truly call my own.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #47
Daniel Olmstead

George, you are totally a foodie. Where I come from, that's a good thing. Of course, I'm one, so I'm biased.
Daniel Olmstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #48
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Olmstead View Post
George, you are totally a foodie. Where I come from, that's a good thing. Of course, I'm one, so I'm biased.
Mop sauce tonight was good - not exceptional. Got another one to try in a week (I smoke some sort of meat every Sunday for my rest day activity).
Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #49
Patrick Haskell

Finally made the angry jerky. Forgot to pick up chipotle seasoning so I threw in some good BBQ sauce instead, but that made it a little on the vinegary side. Still, way better than commercial jerky and cheaper, too. Will do this regularly - next time with a bigger batch of meat. There's no point in going through it in a week, if I'm going to have the oven on for 6 hours (although that will have benefits come winter). Thanks for the good idea.
Patrick Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #50
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
Finally made the angry jerky. Forgot to pick up chipotle seasoning so I threw in some good BBQ sauce instead, but that made it a little on the vinegary side. Still, way better than commercial jerky and cheaper, too. Will do this regularly - next time with a bigger batch of meat. There's no point in going through it in a week, if I'm going to have the oven on for 6 hours (although that will have benefits come winter). Thanks for the good idea.
A dehydrator will make it come out even better, but the oven is easily workable if you don't want to go that route.

Glad you liked it! I plan on making some next week.