Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #21
Kevin Perry

I can understand George's point of view. I enjoyed the book only because I have nothing in my library on gymnastics but I was confused by the layout of volumes and at one point thought that the book was just one out of a number of future volumes which confused me.

The programming section is fairly vague and there is probably a lot that could have been included in this section especially for those not familiar with the Gymnastics Rhetoric.

It's a good book for a collection of the exercises and their progressions but like i said before it's is vague in piecing these together into a solid program especially for those new to this type of training.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #22
Chris H Laing

I find it weird that people think the programming section is vague. I found it very easy to lay out a program based on the information in a book, and I'm making pretty good progress with it.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #23
Jason Tanner

I concur with Chris. When I actually read through the entire programming I felt pretty comfortable with it.
Jason Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #24
George Mounce

My issue isn't with the programming. My issue is it takes only to page 6 to find that you'd have to pay out the wazzu for the entire program (and another whole book on doing...handstands?). I'm sorry but 5 volumes at $44+shipping doesn't make it great. I would have liked an entire program, but maybe my lack of knowledge about gymnastics (at least according to Coach Sommer who likes to tell me I have a lack of knowledge about gymnastics) is to blame.

I would have like to have seen an inclusive $100 book versus 5 x $44 books.

I can find things like:
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...nce/yorkhb.htm, and even the posts like this on his forum better than what I spent.

Heck the Navy guide to gymnastics and tumbling I downloaded from the CF website (the link to the whole book is at the bottom of the PDF) is an invaluable resource.

Sorry to be the lone voice here, but I stand by my opinion.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #25
Kevin Perry

I'd have to agree with you on that one George.
Kevin Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #26
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
My issue is it takes only to page 6 to find that you'd have to pay out the wazzu for the entire program
Haha the guys gotta make a buck somehow Honestly I would have liked if the price was slightly less steep, but the thing is that he can charge that much because people (me included) are still willing to pay that much for what he has to offer.

Quote:
(and another whole book on doing...handstands?)
I actually like this about the series, because the handstand is such an integral part in any gymnastics program. I have been spending a lot of time working handstands lately, and am finding very little progress because I do not have either access to a coach or the resources to pay for one, so I'm looking forward to a book dedicated to handstand training.

Quote:
but maybe my lack of knowledge about gymnastics (at least according to Coach Sommer who likes to tell me I have a lack of knowledge about gymnastics) is to blame.
I think he's trying to say that you haven't been trained by and training olympic caliber gymnasts, so there might be some points of their training that are lost on everyone without 15 years of gymnastics.

And all those resources you listed are good, but they are free for a reason. None of them are very comprehensive, and none address the basic strength exercises sommer shows in his book, or the ways to progress to them (except for the link to coach sommers stuff, but he had to keep people satiated til the book came out).
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #27
Garrett Smith

Heck, I'm still working with all the free stuff Coach Sommer put out (and is still coming out with on his forum and YouTube). The free stuff has been really great IMO.

I want the book, but I don't see "needing" it for a long time--due to $$, my time available for gymnastics training, and the great help that I can find here and on GB.com .
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #28
John Filippini

I can see how people might be a little disappointed with the books if they were getting them looking for a ton of novel information that they couldn't get elsewhere.

I find the book valuable because it offers a one-stop-shop reference guide to basic gymnastics skills that you can take with you to the gym. I'm sure for each of the other books it'll be the same. The fact that there are a number of books doesn't surprise me because of the sheer volume and diversity of gymnastics training. It is true however that you can find pretty much all or most of the information for free elsewhere on the internet, including his own site.

Also, I like the compartmentalization of the books because I'll only pay for what I can do. I'm realistic that if I want to work heavily on both oly lifting and gymnastics, I may never really have any use for the advanced ring book or the dynamic book -- I probably will just never get to the skill level necessary for those volumes.
John Filippini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #29
Blair Lowe

Your lack about what gymnastics is and how complicated it is...is to blame. It all might be your true interest in incorporating gymnastics into whatever you do. It's not like many people truly care and in general they just take bits and pieces and incorporate it into what they do.

Modern day gymnastics is far more complicated than barbell lifting and olympic lifting. Look at how many events there are, how many moves there are, and for each move there are countless drills.

Hand-balancing is an entire art of it's own. Very few gymnasts can compete their handstands with an expert hand balancer.

The Navy guide to gymnastics and tumbling is invaluable. Still, it's varied as far as content usefulness when it comes to modern day gymnastics. Remember, I'm a gymnastics coach and old stuff is great ( I have an awesome near 300 page book on gymnastics from the early 70's but it doesn't cover a lot of modern stuff or it's training ) but it's not necessarily relevant nor is that book is thorough for mastery of certain elements ( I don't remember seeing it go into developing planche, lever, manna, etc )

It does not fit in the bill in developing proper basics for many of the movements and many of the CFJ articles by Roger Harrell do a better job. or the current gymnastics seminars or certs.

Of most of the current material about modern gymnastics and developing skills in it, nothing is as complete. Most of the material out there has to do with skill building and training with bits and pieces here or there as supplemental work such as training HSPU for developing proper upper body strength towards back handsprings. Some of it will state, do L-sits...voila or practice that and show it.

Many current series on gymnastics on DVD cost much more and are still cheaper than say DVD sets on martial arts ( which are sometimes a crock and just marketing ).

Seriously, it might take 300 pages to write on everything about one event in gymnastics in details ( especially when explaining the physics and biomechanics ). It will bore you to death or fry neurons if you let it. How many publishers want to print a 1000 page book on gymnastics. How much longer would it have taken to get to market. It was already much delayed and Sommer probably pissed a lot of people in how long it took to get to market from when it was originally announced.

BtGB, being the first book and the master volume is going to be bigger than the 4 book coming after. Think of BtGB as the master volume and the rest as modules. Size and price should be smaller and the next two books are going to be released simultaneously.

To end, Coach Sommer is always presenting his materials in a similar format he has seen before him by Pavel and others. Book A for BB lifts, book B for BW exercises, book C for stretching, book D for the list goes on. I'm sure Staley and others have done so as well.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #30
jake oleander

Ill probably buy them all at once when theyre all out.
Like everyone else I don't really need them, but I collect books and enjoy training, so its inevitable that I will end up wanting all (5?) volumes.
Its something you will have forever and will be useful to have as a reference not only for yourself but for anyone interested in any form of gymnastics training.
jake oleander is offline   Reply With Quote