Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Steve Forman

Default Form vs intensity

Does anyone have a reference or article that argues or shows why proper form is better than intensity? Or better worded, just what are the physical benefits to proper form other than prevention of injury?

thanks

Steve
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

There's a CF video where Coach Glassman discusses this I think. Something where he talks about how when people ask him "Do you want me to use good form or to get a good time?" the answer is "Yes". Form and time.... with proper form coming first.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Forman View Post
what are the physical benefits to proper form other than prevention of injury?
Do you need another reason? It'd be rather foolish to risk your health in some arbitrarily defined test of strength, which extends to more than just MetCon's.
Patrick Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Steve Forman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Do you need another reason? It'd be rather foolish to risk your health in some arbitrarily defined test of strength, which extends to more than just MetCon's.

yeah no kidding. its not for me, its for the stubborn clients who insist on doing things without proper form. that they havent been injured yet!. so come on, I know what the other beni's are, help me find the literature to support it.

but thanks anyways.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Steve Forman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Weaver View Post
There's a CF video where Coach Glassman discusses this I think. Something where he talks about how when people ask him "Do you want me to use good form or to get a good time?" the answer is "Yes". Form and time.... with proper form coming first.
Thanks derek, Ill look for that.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

There's been some dicussion somewhere on here (and CF board as well I believe). Greg had a free article on it in PMenu a couple months ago, and Jon Gilson from Again Faster also had a post on it.

Um yeah.. as for my take I'll take the form anyday especially with spinal loading. But I know that form does break down... so it's a tradeoff at times.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Steve Forman

Thanks Steven
Old 09-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #8
Craig Brown

Depending on the movement, poor form is often not full ROM...therefore you are just being a lazy POS if you choose to call your 1/2 squat not-full-extension thruster a thruster. And if I'm counting reps, that one didn't count. That one either. You really want to do this all day?
Craig Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 AM   #9
Steve Forman

Come on laddies and Gents! I know this site is one of the most technical sites there is. Dig deep here, How does poor form affect, flexibility and strength? I know it has a negative affect on it. I know poor form can cause injuries and lack of ROM doesn't give you the desired results, BUT HOW?

Steve Low has turned me to some awesome articles about squat form and form vs intensity (Again Faster has some great stuff), but I have not found the technical answer that I think some look for. If anything this could be good discussion for us, as apposed to answering the long waited question: How many blocks is this meal?

thanks

Steve

Last edited by Steve Forman : 09-24-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: sp
Steve Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
Steven Low
Super Moderator

There really is no clear cut answer...

Most people form their own opinion about how far they want to push their own intensity at the expense of their form. Some agree with Greg and some agree with Gilson and some with Glassman (though IIRC Gilson and Glassman are of similar opinion).