Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Body Composition

Old 09-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
Liam Dougherty Springer

Default IF length and how often?

I am starting a Strength training phase in a few days and have gotten some suggestions that I should reduce the amount I IF if I am hopeing to make weight and strength gains my number one priority. I don't really keep track of my IF schedual but I probrably IF about 16 hours 3 times a week and then have two long fast days like 18 and a 20+ then I have one light eat day along with one big eat day and one eat whatever day. Its pretty all over the place however I am sure that I IF on the moderate to heavy side.

Should I open up the eating window and reduce the number of fasts per week? I know I can gain weight and IF I see people doing it in the forum all the time. I guess I am just trying to put all my focus on the gains for a period of like 3 months and then no matter what I am going back to eating as usual. Any suggestions or experience would be helpfull
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
I am starting a Strength training phase in a few days and have gotten some suggestions that I should reduce the amount I IF if I am hopeing to make weight and strength gains my number one priority. I don't really keep track of my IF schedual but I probrably IF about 16 hours 3 times a week and then have two long fast days like 18 and a 20+ then I have one light eat day along with one big eat day and one eat whatever day. Its pretty all over the place however I am sure that I IF on the moderate to heavy side.

Should I open up the eating window and reduce the number of fasts per week? I know I can gain weight and IF I see people doing it in the forum all the time. I guess I am just trying to put all my focus on the gains for a period of like 3 months and then no matter what I am going back to eating as usual. Any suggestions or experience would be helpfull

You need advice to gain weight?! Eat alot of food, drink a gallon of milk, forget about eating windows, just lift heavy stuff, eat everything you see, rest, repeat.

This subject is so beat, I can't believe it still comes up.

Why IF regardless of eating window if Strength and Weight Gain are your major goals.

Eat, Lift, Rest, Repeat.

Ever thought about shutting off the computer for a few months and see how you get along just eating, training, resting....................
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #3
Jaime Steele

I agree with Jay.

I was lucky enough to get some 1:1 coaching with Mike O'D and had similar goals to you. Ended up gaining nearly 5kgs of lean muscle in about 5 weeks and increased strength loads. The trick was to eat lighter during the day so I wasn't feeling tired and bloated and eat like a monster at night - give your body the signals to grow. I washed down my meals with whole milk, olive oil, whey smoothie. I would throw in one IF per week max cos I like the feeling.
Jaime Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:15 AM   #4
George Mounce

If you are trying to gain strength and weight I would only fast on rest days and no more. Rest of the time eat that food!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
Liam Dougherty Springer

Thanx guys. Jay I knew I was opening myself up for punishment when I started this thread. But I highly respect both your opinion and the tamber of your delivery. I do like the feeling of IF and that is part of why I ask the question. I also feel IF has helped me become more efficant with my foods so I thought that could have some bennifits. I also have found lots of info which supports what you guys are saying I guess I just needed the lingering doubts beat out of my thick skull before my feasting. Honestly I am looking forward to eating non stop with the one fast a week for the metabolism check. However I didn't want to miss out on one last check in with the PMenu for some candid opinions. Thanx to Jay and the rest I will now keep my mouth shut and chew.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Liam;

You're a good sport, as I can be a real schmuck sometimes. Hope your strength/weight gains go well.

I've been SS for 8 months, really enjoy it, moving to PP for Fall.

Lady just called, my pig dressed out at 240 lbs, is this a great country or what!
Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Liam Dougherty Springer

Thats some pig Jay. I hope your not gonna just HOG it all for yourself and at least give some to the neighbors. And your right at times you can be a down right PIG with your coments. However all it takes is a little ROOTING around to find some real FAT for the fryer in your posts. Anyway you can take what you dish out Im sure it wont bother you a bit being called a TUB O' LARD. lol

Thats more than enough from me I am bored at work and feelin kinda loopy.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Quote:
Eat, Lift, Rest, Repeat.

Ever thought about shutting off the computer for a few months and see how you get along just eating, training, resting....................
Hahaha, literally just laughed out loud. I had to do this myself not too long ago (hence why I haven't been around these boards for a while). It works. Stop reading and start acting.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Probably the best thing I have heard in a long time online.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Liam Dougherty Springer

Interesting that this thread has been revived... My Mass Strength gain has been going incredibly well and somewhere along the line exactly what jay said happened.

I stopped planning everything except my work outs but even they became alot more fly by the seat of my pants I really began listening to my body in a way I had never done.

I too have not been posting for a while as I have just been enjoying this self fullfiling period of unique and personal training... Don't get me wrong I owe alot to every one here big ups to MOD, Jay, and Steve and my list of inspiration runs a long way at some point I started doin some sort of a routine both nwork and food inspired by Coach rip Gant Grimes Gregg Everret Coach Burgner and Mike O'Donnell. But honestly it was just whatever I was feeling at the time.

I have in the past ten weeks put 20 lbs. on my body from 164 to 184 recently some has begun to come off

I have also put 50 pounds on my Back squat form 225 to 275 which was my goal for this round

and 50 on my C&J from 155 to 205 which surpased any expectation I had.

I still hope to bring my DL up to 360 right now I am at 330 from 295 so I am going to start putting more emphasis on it and the OLs for some time.

I have had some other big accomplishments but those are my biggest.
Anyhow thanks too everyone.

I have decided that while all of the knowledge I have been gaining has served great purpose I am so happy to finaly feel confident in my actions that I am going to just go with my gut for a while. Not forever as I am really thinking about trying to find a coach and getting some help training for some seriouse OL numbers.