Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Danny John

Default Allen Yeh

I read that discussion you emailed me about. You explained it well...idiocy followed. Crappy metabolic work is not the answer to crappy clean technique!!!

Bottom line: cleans beat up the wrists of a young lifter. The snatch is the same movement, but they can't do that "reverse curly" thingee. So...you teach the big movement, the jump from the RDL...then, you move the hands to the clean position. The athlete "catches" correctly and you don't have the issue of wrist pain.

Of course, as a coward and clown...what do I know? I have been teaching people how to clean since Ford was president and this is my experience.

The comment that I only care about "Masters Totals" was beyond offensive...
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:49 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post
I read that discussion you emailed me about. You explained it well...idiocy followed. Crappy metabolic work is not the answer to crappy clean technique!!!

Bottom line: cleans beat up the wrists of a young lifter. The snatch is the same movement, but they can't do that "reverse curly" thingee. So...you teach the big movement, the jump from the RDL...then, you move the hands to the clean position. The athlete "catches" correctly and you don't have the issue of wrist pain.

Of course, as a coward and clown...what do I know? I have been teaching people how to clean since Ford was president and this is my experience.

The comment that I only care about "Masters Totals" was beyond offensive...
I actually didn't know how to reply to what was said it's like he didn't read anything I had posted on the topic. I wanted to say you are able teach the snatch to high school athletes in a group setting. There is no reason on a one on one basis to be unable to teach the snatch to a client....unless you don't know how to teach it!

I find myself posting less and less there. Thank goodness for the Performance Menu! Thanks again for replying to that email the other day, I really wanted to make sure I wasn't going off on a tangent of what you had said.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:53 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

For those interested in the discussion discussed:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/34227.html
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

I'll take a DB snatch over a DB clean anyday....even for crappy metabolic work. Ha. Greg said it well over there...if you can do a snatch, you already know how to do a clean. I use DBs mostly, but most my clients are not athletes.

Either way...I already said my goodbye to that board, as you can tell all the free thinkers are gone.
Mike ODonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
Ken Urakawa

Amen
Ken Urakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
Robb Wolf

Well...since Dan is of "suspect moral character" and all that I guess we need to find a Crossfit endorsed coach for a definitive answer. Unless the roster has changed Coach Mike Burgner is the CrossFit O-lifting coach...and HE teaches the snatch first.

Now obviously there are loads of ways to approach this but between these two guys we have...what like 200years of coaching experience (just kidding guys, don't kick my ass!).

I don't know...who better to listen to than two coaches who teach these movements for a living? I'll do some digging but I think John Davies (Renegade Training) teaches the snatch first. Pretty compelling to me.

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
Danny John

I guess the real point is that when teaching someone, mastery is the key. I kill my novices (metabolically speaking) with threes and fives in the snatch and the clean. I would rather have someone doing serious triples than garbage thirties.

You have to be careful here. 25 Air Squats..."perfectly done"...doesn't equal a double bodyweight back squat. I'm talking about carryover into performance, of course...

Enough. I bored.

Robb's constant barbs at my advanced age has weakened my resolve...
Danny John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny John View Post

Robb's constant barbs at my advanced age has weakened my resolve...
What? I mean you can't be a day over...60?

Sorry Robb made me do it...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

I read that thread with great interest and wondered why, if any of those who posted (other than Alan and Greg) had attended even a CF seminar, didn't anyone mention Mike Burgener's snatch progression? It was most curious to see that some will take an O-lifting question and use it as an excuse to pile on certain people.

I left that board 18 months ago, not that I'm keeping track, when it was apparent a sense of humor is not wanted on the threads. I actually had a moderator make that point perfectly clear to me in a post and in e-mails.
No, the moderator wasn't a she and it wasn't Robb.

http://www.theartofdansilver.com/ron.html
Ron Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Jamila Bey

Okay...

Let me butt my fat butt in here and play unasked for den mommy.

Before this thread becomes all things "they attacked me publicly on their boards while going off half cocked" let's just be glad that we're in a happier place.

Happy Winter Solstice!
Jamila Bey is offline   Reply With Quote