Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Chris Forbis

Default The Good Book of VJ Development

Thus begins my journey through Kelly Baggett's The Vertical Jump Development Bible. Basketball is my sport of choice, so this is a natural fit. My goal is to dunk on fools in-game.

I plan on starting with the beginner's plyometric routine coupled with the bodyweight strength routine. It is a twelve week program... a week off after that, and then I'll head on to the novice strength and novice plyometric programs. Hopefully my gimpy shoulder will have enough time on the BW strength program to recover before deadlifts rear their head in the novice program that follows.

Workouts will happen on Tuesdays and Fridays. Plyometrics first, followed by strength work. I'll play pickup basketball or just shoot around (practicing jumping form) on Sundays.
Chris Forbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

5 Sunday 2008
Testing Day

BW = 177#
Height = 6'3.625"
BF% ~ 9%

I started with Kelly's dynamic warm-up. Lots of lunging and squatting and other good stuff.

VJ was 24". My measuring system consists of chalking up my hands and jumping up and leaving marks on the goal glass. VJ dropping in from 12",18", and 24" boxes didn't change things appreciably (plus 1" at most). Dropping in from 30" caused a pretty significant drop (around 3").
Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Quickly into the first workout of week #1, I realized there was no way I was going to be able to complete all this. I halved most the reps. We'll call this week -1 and ramp things up.

7 October 2008

Plyometrics
Ankle jump: 2 sets of 50
4-star drill: 2 sets of 5
Alternating lunges: 2 sets of 20 (10 on each leg)
Jump squat: 1 set of 10
Slalom jumps: 2 sets of 50
Lunge jumps: 2 sets of 5 (on each leg)
Low squat ankle jump: 2 sets of 30

BW Strength Training
Low Peterson step-up: (3-1-2) 1 set of 25 (on each leg)
2-leg ski squat: 1 set of a 10 second pause in each of 5 positions
Split squat: (5-2-2) 2 sets of 8 (on each leg)
Cross body off-box lunge: (3-2-2) 2 sets of 10 (on each leg)
Standing hip abduction: (3-2-2) 2 sets of 13 (on each leg)
Scissor hip extension: (3-0-x) 2 sets of 10 (on each leg)
Bodyweight squat: (1-0-x) 2 sets of 50

This really kicked my ass. I think I may have to start to wear my lifting shoes, as I have a mild strain of my big toe that gets aggravated by the lunges; it seems the sturdiness of the lifting shoe compensates for this.

I'll do this (halved) workout again on Thursday and next Tuesday and target the week after that to start with the full deal.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

11 October 2008

Dynamic warm-up: lunges, squats, etc.

Plyometrics
Approximately one minute rest between all sets.

Ankle jump: 2 sets of 50
4-star drill: 2 sets of 5
Alternating lunges: 2 sets of 26 (13 on each leg)
Jump squat (hands behind head): 1 set of 20
Slalom jumps: 2 sets of 50
Lunge jumps: 2 sets of 7 (on each leg)
Low squat ankle jump: 2 sets of 30

This is still kicking my ass, though I did get closer to doing the reps as prescribed. I cut the lunge reps to 2/3 of the prescribed amount. Lunges in rapid succession absolutely fry my legs. Wearing my weight lifting shoes helped take some of the stress off of my big toe joint in the lunges. I was pretty dead at the end so decided not to add on the BW strength workout. I'll try that by itself on Monday or Tuesday depending on how I recover from this workout.

On the diet front I think I have caused an egg sensitivy to flare up due to over consumption (over 3 dozen a week). I had a head cold all this week and two times during the week when I had deviled eggs with lunch I experienced rather unpleasant GI distress within a couple of hours. Time to run an elimination diet for a month or so and see what happens when I reintroduce. This will really put a cramp on my breakfast options...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

13 October 2008

BW Strength Training
Low Peterson step-up (3-1-2): 1 set of 25 (on each leg)
2-leg ski squat: 1 set of a 10 second pause in each of 5 positions
Split squat (5-2-2): 2 sets of 15 (on each leg)
Cross body off-box lunge (3-2-2): 2 sets of 20 (on each leg)
Standing hip abduction: (3-2-2) 2 sets of 25 (on each leg)
Scissor hip extension: (3-0-x) 2 sets of 20 (on each leg)
Bodyweight squat: (1-0-x) 2 sets of 100

I still need to work on getting the rep pacing as prescribed (3-1-2, for example). I also need to get better at doing the BW squat in large numbers. I broke up the 100 squats heavily.

I don't know if it is going to be practical to do the plyometric workout on the same day as the strength workout. I plan on trying the full plyometric workout on Wednesday and I'll see how I feel.

This kicked my ass pretty well. My legs are already pretty sore, so I can imagine how they'll feel around 5pm when I hit the 24 hour post-workout mark.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Are both the plyo program and bw strength (more like endurance though..) combined in Kelly Baggett's book?

It looks like waaaaaay too much volume especially if you're not very highly conditioned.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Chris Forbis

In the book, he calls for plyometrics three days a week, reducing it to twice a week if you are doing any additional strength training.

Strength training he calls for 2 days a week. He allows for plyos on the same day as strength or on different days. He also talks about doing plyos one day a week if one really needs to work on their strength ("you will be a lot fresher throughout the week").

I am considering working out three days a week, and just alternating strength and plyometric work. So one week has 2 plyo/1 strength and the next has 1 plyo/2 strength, etc. We'll see how I feel.

Looking ahead, volume gets cut down quite a bit by week 4, in both plyos and strength training.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What I mean is THAT the actual program because it looks like a lot for one session. Usually you keep the total reps more around about 100 or less depending on level. That's in the range of like 200+
Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
Chris Forbis

A shortage of time, absolutely heinous DOMS, and a general loathing of high-rep work has led me to switch to Baggett's "Time Efficiency Workout." This program consists of a plyometric workout and a strength/plyo workout each week. I'm looking at going on Tuesday and Friday with these, and maybe some basketball on Sunday.

28 October 2008

Plyometric workout
Donkey ankle bounce - 3 sets of 20, 1 min rest after each set
Knees to chest tuck jump - 4 sets of 8, 2 minutes of rest after each set
Rhythmic alternating lunge jumps - 3 sets of 10, 2 minutes of rest after each set
3 steps --> jump for height - 5 sets of 1, 2 minutes of rest after each set
40 yard sprints - 4 sets, 3 minutes rest after each set

This was good. The lunge jumps are absolutely killer. I'll do the strength/plyo workout today or tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Chris Forbis

1 November 2008

Strength/Plyo Workout

Squats - 4 sets of 8 @ 135#, 3 minutes of rest after each set

Natural hamstring curl (GH style) - 4 sets of 6, 2 minutes rest after each set

Box-squat jumps (18" box) w/ 10# DB in each hand - 2 sets of 5 jumping up, 2 sets of 5 jumping out; 2 minutes of rest after each set

Depth jumps (18" box) - 4 sets of 4; 20 seconds rest after each jump, 2 minutes rest after each set

I was going to do this yesterday, but a pickup game of basketball (3 on 3) sprang up. I had a height advantage and the post moves were clicking. 7 close games... my team won the series 4-3.

Workout thoughts: the curls were pretty weak, and were minimally controlled negatives with a significant push-off at the bottom. The squats felt pretty good while still being taxing. I'll move up 5-10 pounds for next week. The jumping felt great.