Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #1
Reed Winn

Default On the Mat and Platform

I lost my physical training notebook awhile ago and I spend a lot of time on the machine; so an online log makes sense. I intend for this one to be more holistic. It will include notes about both gym stuff and BJJ training. It will also include notes on diet, recovery and such.

Weight: 151.5lbs with no-gi gear on
Height: 5'6"

I've been training BJJ for about a year and 4 months.

Deadlift 1RM: 253lbs
Squat: 220lbs for a triple
Clean 1RM 150lbs
400m in 1:19
1,600m in 6:52

I just started learning the oly lifts about a month ago.

I want to get better on the mat. I am also interested in getting better at the oly lifts, getting a bigger squat and learning some ring skills. I have recently started doing CrossFit workouts and I want to integrate some metcon into my weekly training schedule.
Reed Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Derek Simonds

Welcome to the forum. There are quite a few BJJ players on here. I do the same thing with my log and record my workouts and BJJ training sessions. I look forward to reading your log.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Reed Winn

Did at least 30 cleans with 95lbs just to work on form. I was thinking about catching with an upright posture, keeping my feet in a good stance and leaning back in the pull.

Did 5 ring supports for 30s each. Did 2 L-sits on rings for 10s each.

Rolled at 95% with people of similar weight and skill to get ready for the competition. This has given me confidence.

Thanks, Derek.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Reed Winn

Pulled many cleans at 95lbs till that felt OK, then pulled some with 135. I'm having trouble catching it, I seem to often relax in the catch and dump the bar. When I tried to stay tight I ended up power cleaning it. However, with some coaching and more practice I started to do things better.

Trained BJJ again, went at 95% with another guy of similar weight and skill and got the tap but it was a hard fight. This is the last time I will train till the comp on Saturday.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Derek Simonds

Where is the tourney? What divisions / levels are you going to compete in? Are you at your competition weight already or do you need to cut more? Is this your first competition? Lots of questions I know. Just asking because I love to see how others deal with pre-comp stuff.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Reed Winn

It's the George Pendergrass Classic in NC. I'll be doing white belt men's either 140-149 or 150-159. I called the promoter to try and get a feel for the brackets but I didn't learn much. I weigh about 151 in no-gi gear so I could probably come in at the top of 140-149. This is my third comp, but probably the biggest one I've done.

Got terrible sleep last night due to school work. Today, after reading Greg's Weightlifting book, I was inspired to cover both my dorm room windows with aluminum foil. This should help me get better sleep quality. I intend to start going to sleep at a more constant time.

Took it real easy today. Did handstands against the wall with attempts at kicking into position without touching the wall, standing for a few seconds.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Derek Simonds

I would definitely cut the weight and fight at the top end of the lighter division if I could. Sleep is so important to me, I totally agree with blacking out the windows for sleep.

I am guessing you will be competing in both gi and no-gi. Best of luck to you in the comp.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Reed Winn

I won 3rd. Weighted in at 146, a lot lighter than I thought. I ate huge amounts of pasta and a half gallon of whole milk after the weigh in, slept pretty well and went to the venue the next day. Had about 5g of creatine monohydrate about 30mins before my first match. Had a cup of coffee the morning of.

Won the first match by collar choke from the back, lost the second very fast due to an armbar from guard, won the last by points 8-0, I was on the guy's back most of the match.

The adrenaline was something of a problem. I was not nervous the day/night before like I was in the last comp. I did get nervous close before my first match and I went out really hard and ended up being harsh on the guy with a knee on belly without meaning to. The second match I went out too calm and this may explain how i fell into an armbar. Third match was "just right" I think.

Driving back home I felt almost sick for some of it. felt it in my gut - the after effects. I guess the only thing to do is to keep competing till I get used to it.

My conditioning seemed pretty solid. I never really got tired in a serious way, although I was on top most of the time. I kept coughing between matches for some reason, like I had been choked but I hadn't.

Overall I feel this was my best competition so far though.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Jacob Rowell

Good job Reed.

3rd is great, and I'm sure you'll do even better next comp. Glad you're getting something out of the book too.
Jacob Rowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Reed Winn

Thanks Jake. I like the book a lot and I am sold on the novice program it contains. I want to start it Monday. I'll record it here as a template so I can remember when I don't have the book:

Snatch and C&J are taken up to a 'comfortable' but heavy single and then 3 more singles are done with 85%

Each week 2-3% is added to the lifts. Back off week is done with a 10-15% reduction in intensity of the previous week's numbers. Sets may need to be dropped as well. After the back off week start with weights used the week before the back off week.

Of the form Intensity x reps x sets

Week One

Monday:
C&J
Snatch
Pull-ups 3 x max reps

Tuesday: Back Squat 80% x 3 x 5
Snatch DL 105% x 2 x 2
Push Press 75% x 5 x 5

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday:
Snatch
C&J
Pullups 3 x max reps

Friday:
OHSQ 80% x 2 x 3
FSquat 80% x 3 x 5
Clean Pull 85%(of clean) x 3 x 2

Week Two
Monday:
Snatch
C&J
Pullups 3 x max reps

Tuesday:
FSquat 80% x 3 x 5
Clean DL 105% x 2 x 2
Snatch Push Press 75% x 5 x 5

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday:
C&J
Snatch
Pull-ups 3 x max reps

Friday:
Snatch Balance 80% x 2 x 3
Back Squat 80% x 3 x 5
Snatch Pull 85%(of snatch) x 3 x 2

Core work is supposed to be done every training day apparently, with heavy core work done on a heavy day. My C&J is drastically limited by my jerk now, so I'll have to focus on that.

I figure I'll run this for a month or so with a reasonable amount of BJJ(3-4 times a week), pay attention to recovery and then see about adding in a metcon workout and/or some strict presses.

Some Numerical Speculation:
Given that I did a heavy back squat triple of 220lbs, exrx 1RM max calc says 80% of my predicted(yes I know it's guesswork) 1RM is 186lbs. So I'll go with that as a target.

Doing the above for front squats gives me 127lbs. Everything else I'll have to feel out.