Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #161
Reed Winn

Default Bjj

Wednesday

We did solo breakfall drills, focused on throwing the shit out of myself in the forward throws, was fun and my breakfalls worked well.

Did Sukui Nage and Tani Otoshi, worked on getting out of side control.

Eric showed me a dope tip on getting the arm into the hip in the escape. Basically you bridge straight backwards(not into them) and extend your arm straight back like a shoulder press and this opens up a lot of space - works like magic.

The danger is in the moment you bridge they can take mount.

Eric also told me about this thing that is brutal(didn't actually show it) where you get behind/side them like in sukui nage and then sweep out your own leg like a side breakfall and land on them.

Had some good rolls, got out of a kimura attempt by a bigger 4 stripe and took top side. Did some other nice things like sliding down the outside of the leg to take side, but I came to this from a bad place( don't remember where).

Rolled with Eric and defended the bow and arrow choke pretty well(he switched to something else off knee on belly)
Reed Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #162
Reed Winn

Default Running!

My cardio was always a weakness in competition. I am fixing this.

This morning I ran about 2 miles, making sure to stay on my toes at ALL TIMES and breath in the nose out the mouth AT ALL TIMES.

It was moderately hard but I'm not pushing myself too much yet. I want to get my lower legs used to it so I avoid hellish splints(hopefully).

I'm thinking maybe I should wear my mouthpiece to make breathing harder as a training tool.

My plan is to build up some endurance/condition the feet and then do a mix of "long runs" and intervals to prepare for a submission only. I'll need to train both endurance for a potential 20min round but also bursts for the fast parts.

Last submission only I had to stay on the bottom a lot cause I gassed and eventually I lost although I held him off a long time. The next match I won cause the other guy gassed.

I want to be the guy that makes other people gas

I don't even think I need to be very strong in all honestly because I think my game isn't very strength dependent - more reactionary with bursts of very rapid movement to get what I want fast. I've always been against mostly bigger stronger guys in training so it just naturally developed this way. I never get muscle tired but the scramble can wind me.

There are all these quotes about conditioning and fighters and all that, it's time I actually pay attention to this.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #163
Reed Winn

BJJ

Worked on using the lapel as the Uhook in top half to pass.

Some key details:
RIBS ON RIBS when I switch my base so I'm down lower and they can't bridge
Head down always
Pressure and patience
Toe heel walk the foot up till it touches their butt

We worked on a cross choke and a brabo from top half using the lapel behind their head

Rolled with 2 black belts, 1 brown and a blue - lots of color on the mat today.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #164
Reed Winn

Been doing some more running

Trained yesterday, learned some wrist locks
Hit the armbar from bottom side control on a bigger person
I was really tired but I feel like I rolled pretty technically
Old 11-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #165
Reed Winn

Default OMG it's 50/50!

So yesterday I trained gi and no gi in 2 classes and it was great. I feel great in the gi but less sure no gi.

In no gi we learned some pretty advanced stuff about defending heel hooks in 505/50

I've hardly spent any time at all in 50/50 and I don't know much about leglocks in general so this was all very new, but also very cool.

He showed us how to base on hands and feet, or put our feet together in prayer position to prevent the heel being hooked and it works super well it's like magic. He then showed us how to shrimp right out by opening my knee outwards and pushing on his knees and shrimping to clear my leg. He even showed how to defend the inverted heel hook that is sunk in. You grab the far arm with both hands and then use your other foot like a spatula to scrape off the hook and then shrimp rip out. He showed if your foot gets stuck in like quarter guard you can come up, push on their knee and take mount easy.

I felt really good rolling, not tired at all, very loose but faster than gi I think. A blue belt told me to slow down more and I'm sure I'm moving much faster in open guard than I would be in gi.

A BB told me I am doing a very good job getting my combat base but I need to dive for the underhook and cut right after I get in base - I was scared I guess to do it or not confident - I need more practice doing knee cut passes. My double under is my best pass

I've been trying to avoid using, or at least not finishing the omoplata as much. I got into position and then did kimura instead. I wonder if I could take the back with it somehow without finishing it

Saw a guy with poor head posture in top side and did the reverse triangle but couldn't finish the choke, worked as escape though.

Think Im getting a bit better at spotting ankle locks before they get them but Im still bad at that.

I'm hopefully going to go to this leglock seminar on Saturday and learn a lot more about it.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #166
Reed Winn

Default More BJJ

Nice training day

I picked up a detail on finishing the omoplata where at the same time you shoot the legs out straight and heavy to break them down you pull on their pants at the ankle to flatten them out - it works well

I rolled with my instructor and he said my guard was getting dangerous, or something like that and he said good job

I went to a leg lock seminar on the weekend that was pretty fun. The single thing I think will be most useful right now that I learned there was this detail on getting out of the straight foot lock:

You sit up but their shin is in the way so you sort of put your foot on their knee and base on your shoulders and kinda go to the side so you have a good angle to donkey kick/push and then it's easy to hip up into mount
Old 12-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #167
Reed Winn

BJJ

Most important thing:
Windshield wiper legs from combat base in open guard to avoid messing with half

Surf hip out the backdoor with wipers(slight jump) when I have pinned their bottom leg and Im not in half guard, Im not in a guard so my hips are very mobile