Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 10-23-2008, 09:54 PM   #21
Reed Winn

I posted this a bit late, it's actually for 10/23/08

Got good sleep, woke up 1min before alarm went off - I think this is a sign my sleep is getting dialed in.

Rowed 500m

Did the stretches in the WL book, did a few skin the cats

Worked up to snatching 100lbs, a new PR and then did 3 singles with 85lbs
I was sort of silly with the singles, I didn't get a good start position and lost a lot of them before I tightened up. I self cued by saying "total commitment" before I snatched the heavy weights and this seems to work. I also thought about catching with a more upright torso and I felt this helped stability. A good snatch session generally.

Worked up to 100lb C&J. Did 3 singles at 85lbs
The clean was pretty easy as long as I remembered to jam my elbows up. The jerk kept messing me up. Once I did the lighter singles the jerk felt better, I dipped and drove a lot faster and more "sharply" and this seemed to help a lot

Did 6..6..6 pull ups on rings.
I want to get used to rings for a muscle up + back lever and other goals so I reckon using the rings a lot is the way to do it.

Tore a callous doing snatches but it doesn't seem too bad. I'm gripping the bar with a hook, about a pinky distance from the collars, this feels pretty solid now. Right elbow feels a bit odd, I think it's from getting armbarred by spazzes and then doing ring dips.

Worked on handstand much later after lifting.
Reed Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #22
Derek Simonds

My left elbow is exactly the same. I got armbarred probably close to a month ago in MMA and the guy didn't let go when I tapped. It hasn't got any better yet.

Nice job on the snatch. I remember the first time I ever threw 100 LB's over my head. I was like yeah finally I am in the triple digit club.

http://westvolusiawellness.com/
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #23
Reed Winn

Once again I'm late, this should be for 10/24/08

Rowed 500m, did a few skin the cats and the stretches in the WL book

Did very poor snatch balances with 85lbs. I'm not even claiming reps till I get the movement better.

Low bar back squat 190lbs for 5 triples
I have been trying a more narrow stance for awhile but I am going to go back to a Rippetoe ish shoulder width stance. I've been told my knees sometimes go outside my feet so I need to watch for that, but I expect widening my stance back to how it used to be will correct the knee problem.

Snatch pulls 85lbs 2 triples

Messed around with a lot of stuff after that

Did some L sits from support on the rings, did more skin the cats, did a lot of handstands with no wall. Most of these were very bad but in a few I stayed upright for a good 5seconds. I also did 3 sets of rope climbing with feet clamping on the rope for support. I jumped up and got both feet on the top of what supposedly was a 43" box although I did not actually stay on the top.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Reed Winn

Sleep was fantastic in length. Diet was very poor.

I'm still thinking about my back squat. Jake thought my stance should be narrower so I went narrower for awhile but I think this has just resulted in weirdness including having my knees outside my feet. Going back to a shoulder width at the heels wide stance should make it pretty much impossible for me to have my knees to far out.

I used to have my toes turned out roughly 30 degrees and I've been trying a more straight position but I feel like this messes up my knee tracking. I've felt some clicks and pops in my knees sometimes using this and that never happened when I squatted in the old way in Chucks. Another thing is that my WL shoes are a size to big - this may make it look like my feet are turned way out when they are not really.

However, it's clear my foot position in the C&J and snatch is all screwed up. In the catching position I will often look down and see that my feet are not even in the same sort of position; one will be turned out more than the other. I don't really know how to fix this except by a lot of drilling footwork by myself. I tried that awhile ago but the second I tried to actually do a lift my feet went back to their old habits.

Practiced more handstands in my room
Old 10-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #25
Reed Winn

Got coconut oil and took about a tablespoon before lifting.

Rowed 500m, skinned the cat with no rest 3 times, did standard stretches.

Worked up to a new PR snatch of 105lbs and then did 3 singles with 90lbs
Strangely I missed 85lbs during the warm up a lot, and missed a lot of my single attempts with 90lbs after I got the PR, this actually seems to happen every time. I still felt things went well and I'm one step closer to a bodyweight snatch.

Worked up to a 115lbs C&J and did 3 singles with 97lbs
The heavy single felt very good and 'sharp' in both the clean and jerk parts.

Pull ups on rings 10...5...1

Pretty nice day
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM   #26
Reed Winn

Trained bjj today

Rowed 500m, skinned the cat 3 times, stretched

Back Squats 196lbs 5 triples

Felt pretty strong, knees were out possibly outside my feet even with wide stance but hip drive felt good so whatever

Ran out of time to do other stuff, will do tomorrow

Did not sleep a wink and nutrition was somewhat spotty. Bad, but will not be repeated.

Right after doing bjj I noticed a sort of "proto-pain" of a minor intensity in my right knee around the patella area. Took 2 ibuprofin and squatted anyway, felt fine in the gym. I hope this is not due to shitty squatting in the oly lifts, it might very well have been something minor that happened in BJJ(although it is rare for me to get little 'injuries' there)
Old 10-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #27
Reed Winn

Feeling pretty lackluster, luckily the lifts are easy

rowed 300m, did standard stretches

Snatch grip deadlift with 110lbs 2x2

Push Presses 87lbs 5x5
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #28
Reed Winn

Terrible recovery outside the gym = terrible day in the gym

Even the warm up felt a bit taxing

Missed 85lbs snatches time after time with 2 that I got. Even the ones I got felt horrible. I even missed 65 at one point. Did a few C&J's with 95lbs and called it a day.

The good news is that I learned and did the Burgener warm up today and I plan to use it on every training day.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
Reed Winn

Rowed 500m, did standard stretches and a skin the cat

OHSQ 97lbs 3 doubles
Very hard to keep hook grip during the squat, sometimes one hand looses the hook and the other doesn't. IDK what to make of this so on the last double I just used a regular grip from the start

FSQ 131lbs 5x5

Clean pulls 140lbs 2 triples

Ring support L-sits 2x 30seconds

Back extensions 2 sets of 10

Later on I did some more handstand work, they are getting better. I was able to kick up into a free handstand and balance for a few seconds. I can feel my weight shift back and forth from the front of my hand to the back, this will happen a few times before I fall.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #30
Reed Winn

Skipped rowing as I was already warm, did stretches.

Worked up to snatching 105 did 86lbs for 3 singles
missed with 110 a few times. Thought "fast" before starting the lift and was told it looked fast.

Worked up to C&J 120lbs - a new PR and did 3 singles with 100lbs

Did 7..7...7 pullups on bar, 3 sets of 12 back extensions