Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Chris H Laing

Thanks Steven, I think I have about everything I need to set up my new schedule.

One more question though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Pick your 2-3 exercises for the full body days. Might end up something like one day:
1. DL/powerclean, inverted eccentric to hang, cross pullouts, planche statics, HSPUs negatives

2. back squat/front squat, front lever statics (or back lever), cranks, planche progression pushups, weighted dips
You say pick two or three exercises for the full body days, but then give five, so should I be picking and choosing from these examples to what would best fit my goals? And should I do deadlifts before or after the gymnastic type stuff?

This is the last question I promise, so after this you don't have to deal with me for a while until I need some more help
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
Thanks Steven, I think I have about everything I need to set up my new schedule.

You say pick two or three exercises for the full body days, but then give five, so should I be picking and choosing from these examples to what would best fit my goals? And should I do deadlifts before or after the gymnastic type stuff?

This is the last question I promise, so after this you don't have to deal with me for a while until I need some more help
~1-3 each for push, pull, posterior chain. Generally try to keep it around 4-6 or maybe 7 exercises. More is not always better.

If you decided to do like an A1/A2 structure you can run push/pull against each other to cut down on time. So for example, planche and front lever with 90s rest between each set instead of doing planche at all once and then front lever all at once with rests in between.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #13
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post

I lied .

What kind of rep pattern would you suggest. Would the rep scheme you suggested in your article on developing the iron cross work for the majority of the exercises or would that be to much volume.

And could your plan of developing the iron cross work in the context of my schedule? Could I do cross pulls every full body day, with the rep and set advancement of the first phase of the iron cross training or would that burn me out?

And should the heavy barbell movement come before or after the gymnastics movements?

These are the actual last questions. No more from me for a while
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #14
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Start off with 3x5. SS rep scheme is fine.

Yes, iron cross can work in the schedule. It's a pull exercise.. so treat it as such. I'd start out with 3 days a week (initially 2 because you're gonna be really sore) for this.

As for prioritizing that's your choice. Whatever you work first will get better the fastest as your full energy will get devoted to it.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #15
Chris H Laing

Thanks for all the help Steven.

I'll let you know how it works out once I finish my SS cycle.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #16
Steven Low
Super Moderator

No prob. I'm kinda curious to how you're gonna structure now.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
George Mounce

Quote:
You and me both, I've been watching this thread with interest.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #18
Chris H Laing

Quote:
I will be doing it something like this:

Full body - crossfit - fb - rest - fb - cf - r

For full body days, it will be a weightlifting movement (e.g. deadlift, back squat, power clean) followed by a gymnastic push (PPPU, HSPU) and a gymnastic pull (invert ecc. 2 hang, crank).

It can be either weightlifting, push, pull or weightlifting, pull, push, depending on the weightlifting movement. For exercises like the deadlift and power clean, that involve pulling, the gymnastic push would be performed as the second exercise, to give the pulling muscles some time to recharge before the gymnastic pulling exercise, the last exercise. For movements like back and front squats, the gymnastic pull will come before the gymnastic push.

Some other gymnastic moves I'm including are FL pullups, PL push ups, weighted pull ups and ring dips, and I'm gunna give maltese leans a try and see if I like them.

I'm still debating on whether or not to include cross pulls, because I feel that the cross pulls are the ultimate expression of pulling power and would help all my pulling exercises (front lever, muscle up, etc) but I'm not sure if it is worth the risk to my elbows and shoulders if I don't have proper form, and I feel like I should get more work done on the front lever, as it is my primary goal.

Everyday skill work will be done for 15 - 30 minutes at least. The skill focus will consist of support holds and false grip hangs to help solidify false grip and support strength, as well as some wrist and fingertip push ups to condition the wrists. Handstands are to be practiced every day, including back-to-wall, front-to-wall, free standing, and HS walking. L-sits and skin-the-cats are also done on skill days...mostly for fun

Coach Sommer's PL and FL progressions will be followed every Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri, but due to the amount of PL and FL work in the workouts, I will only be adding together my sets til 30 seconds, by using reps at 50% of 1rm hold. Every month or two, depending on how the position is developing, I will test my new 1rm hold.

On rest days, for active rest, I will be doing pistol work such as box pistols, doorway pistols, and holding the bottom pistol position, to familiarize myself with the movement as I cannot do pistols...YET.

Sorry that was so long, but that's like 99% of the structure I will be using. Sorry if its way more than you wanted to know

Also George, why is this your first time posting if you've been watching the thread, I probably could have used some of your insight.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
Blair Lowe

Sounds decent.

Are you doing isokinetic/dynamic pull/push in the same workout as the 30s statics?

Skip the back to wall HS and do free HS instead.

You are missing press HS.

Have you tested cross pulls and see how they have affected you? For now, you might want to do 2 sets as skill work and play but concentrate on lever and planche besides some dynamic work like 360 pulls ( straight body skin the cat through levers ) or swinging dips, etc.

I highly reccomend mastering the bottom of the pistol before really working towards the movement . Once you have the flexibility and balance down, it's very easy to build the strength. It's a matter of preventative and pre-conditioning in a sense. However, working the dynamic version with an assist is good to develop flexibility and balance and some strength as well.
Blair Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #20
Steven Low
Super Moderator

Looks good.

Blair made some good suggestions though with handstand presses... definitely try to get some of those in (use a wall). Other stuff he said is up to you.