Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
Chris Salvato

Default Starting IF - want to make sure I do it right...

Hey all,

I am normally not the kind of person to do this as I usually prefer to read everything and understand it fully and then just implement it...

However, with IF, it seems like there is a ton of stuff to take into account and I want to make sure I have fully explored possible options and variables before I proceed with my plan of action.

First off, some background on me. Nutritionally, I am currently on Starting Strength's GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) and I put on 25# of mass. The first 20# of it was 75% lean and the last 5# was 40% lean thus resulting in a 66% lean gain of mass. The last 5# being so high in fat made me decide that the GOMAD was no longer going to be effective for lean gains...especially since a knee and hip injury is causing me to avoid the deep flexion required by proper squatting.

In the past, I have done strict zone and before that I had monitored every calorie I ate meticulously for 13 months solid and my food choices are pretty much whole foods - close to Paleo choices - just I have taken a liking to cheese and milk because of SS

With that said, I was planning on trying an IF routine for the first time (despite a bad experience with the Warrior Diet...). I was thinking of following this plan of action:

19 Hour Fasts 3 days a week. Fasting days would be work days (which i plan on doing 3-4x a week). The fasts would be broken just after my workouts. I work out at about 5 PM and I am done around 7 and I am usually in bed by around 10. I feel this would allow me to eat 2 meals or so, one before workouts and one after and would make me get to bed satisfied...going to bed hungry I feel would keep me up.

I would like to maintain the 18# or so that I gained on SS while losing the 12# of fat that I put on and get back down to 9-10% BF.

I feel this would get me to that goal...any advice or things I may have not considered would be appreciated!
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
Júlíus G. Magnússon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
Hey all,

I am normally not the kind of person to do this as I usually prefer to read everything and understand it fully and then just implement it...

However, with IF, it seems like there is a ton of stuff to take into account and I want to make sure I have fully explored possible options and variables before I proceed with my plan of action.

First off, some background on me. Nutritionally, I am currently on Starting Strength's GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day) and I put on 25# of mass. The first 20# of it was 75% lean and the last 5# was 40% lean thus resulting in a 66% lean gain of mass. The last 5# being so high in fat made me decide that the GOMAD was no longer going to be effective for lean gains...especially since a knee and hip injury is causing me to avoid the deep flexion required by proper squatting.

In the past, I have done strict zone and before that I had monitored every calorie I ate meticulously for 13 months solid and my food choices are pretty much whole foods - close to Paleo choices - just I have taken a liking to cheese and milk because of SS

With that said, I was planning on trying an IF routine for the first time (despite a bad experience with the Warrior Diet...). I was thinking of following this plan of action:

19 Hour Fasts 3 days a week. Fasting days would be work days (which i plan on doing 3-4x a week). The fasts would be broken just after my workouts. I work out at about 5 PM and I am done around 7 and I am usually in bed by around 10. I feel this would allow me to eat 2 meals or so, one before workouts and one after and would make me get to bed satisfied...going to bed hungry I feel would keep me up.

I would like to maintain the 18# or so that I gained on SS while losing the 12# of fat that I put on and get back down to 9-10% BF.

I feel this would get me to that goal...any advice or things I may have not considered would be appreciated!
Sounds about right. Give it a go and let us know how it works out. Then tweak it from there depending on how you're feeling about it.

Only thought I have is that those are pretty long fasts and jumping straight into them for three days a week might not make your body too happy. Maybe go for one day week one, two days week two and finally three days week three and on.

Shouldn't matter too much, though. IF is a pretty individual thing. So just dive in, experiment, find out what works for you and what doesn't. Good luck.
Júlíus G. Magnússon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus G. Magnússon View Post
Sounds about right. Give it a go and let us know how it works out. Then tweak it from there depending on how you're feeling about it.

Only thought I have is that those are pretty long fasts and jumping straight into them for three days a week might not make your body too happy. Maybe go for one day week one, two days week two and finally three days week three and on.

Shouldn't matter too much, though. IF is a pretty individual thing. So just dive in, experiment, find out what works for you and what doesn't. Good luck.
I agree, start with 12-15 hours and work up, 1-2 days then try more time, and more days. If it gets to the point where you start losing that weight, back off. IF is a wonderful adventure!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
Chris Salvato

one question i have though is on the caloric intake on my fast days...

Am I supposed to get as many calories in 5-7 hours as I normally would through a whole day? like 2000-3000 calories?

It is doable, i just want to make sure i know the goal.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Salvato View Post
one question i have though is on the caloric intake on my fast days...

Am I supposed to get as many calories in 5-7 hours as I normally would through a whole day? like 2000-3000 calories?

It is doable, i just want to make sure i know the goal.
Most people shoot for normal caloric intake during the eating window.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
Chris Salvato

i guess im going to have to fall in love with my fat sources :P