Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 11-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #21
Daniel Labuz

November 4, 2008 Power Endurance, Weight 166lbs.

Workout: Row 20 minutes @ 80-90% effort with low s/m. Stats: 2:04.5/500m, 4817m rowed, 21 s/m, 307 calories.

Hand was hurting unfortunately, got the ice/hot bathe going now to help. Probably will have to see a therapist. Quite pissed, but it's time to get rid of everything that could put pressure on my hand.

Fasting is going well, don't feel hungry at all at the 5 and half hour mark, but i have a lot of school work to do.

Typed this all with my left hand!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #22
Daniel Labuz

About time to go to sleep, never felt hungry at all during the awake portion of the fast. It surprised me a lot since I usually get hungry after a workout, alas my workout wasn't a normal load but I still didn't have any hunger afterwards.

I don't know if this is good or not, but I might be plagued by a slight cold which is why my appetite isn't as it was, or I might be getting rid of all that non-paleo food I had to eat in the last 7 days. Either way I gained 6 pounds in 7 days, and I want to deload that as quickly and hopefully painlessly as possible.

I plan on keeping this schedule of fasting for 1 month and see how it works, if I'm losing energy at all or not losing the fat then I will cut it to 1 fast a week.

I believe in the fasting methods, but if I lose energy then I will tone it down or scrap it altogether, energy is my biggest concern. I can't train unless I'm physically there, as my mind is prepared as well. If I feel fatigued my mind is not 100% focused, therefore hindering my performance while training, and ultimately could affect my performance during the real thing.

I know my mind is lagging behind my physical aspect at this time, and have realized it when I hurt my hand. I got through the first month without much effort, but this next few months are going to be hard, mostly because I love doing new and different stuff in training but without the use of one hand in a lot of motions I'm bound to certain exercises. Also, it hurts my ability to train specific to ice climbing since you need full functioning of your hand to accomplish that.

Meditation in the morning will probably come along in the next week or so to ease my mind some, it will also help me concentrate better in class and during training sessions. I just need to read these books I received when I was gone. Otherwise I will probably feel like I'm wasting 30 minutes of my life haha
Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Daniel Labuz

November 5, 2008 Strength

Warm Up: 3 Rounds: 2x 50# right hand KB Turkish get-up, 5x Left hand 75# One Arm Deadlift, 20 Air Squats

Workout:

(1) 10x2 Left Hand 1 Arm Deadlift with 10x3 Right Hand 30# KB Windmill active rest (95,105,115,125,140,145,155,160,165,170#)

(2) 5x2 Front Squats with 60 seconds rest between sets (115,125,135,145,135#)

(3) 5x1 Bench Press with 60 seconds rest between sets (95,105,115,135,125#)

Cooldown: 5 Minutes Airdyne, 74 calories

Bench press was terrible today, not sure if it was from fatigue or lost strength but I couldn't get 135 up again for nothing. Makes me sad that my Overhead Press is nearing my Bench Press, I'd like to bench press more but I have no spotter and getting it off the rack is a hassle, oh well maybe more ring push-ups in the future.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
Daniel Labuz

November 6, 2008 – Little bit of everything, Weight 166lbs

Warm Up: Run to Indian summer and back (9:47)

Workout (AM):

(1) 3 Rounds:
a. 10x Ring Push Ups
b. 10x 105# Back Squat
c. 5x 105# Bench Press
d. Rest 2 Minutes

(2) 3 Rounds:
a. 6x 75# Overhead Press
b. 5x 45# each hand DB Press (On Bench)
c. 10x 24” Plyo Box Jump (active rest)

Cooldown: New recovery drink: 1.5 cup frozen blackberries, .4 scoop 50%/50% Egg White Protein/BCAA mixture, 2 cups water blended. 35g (11g fiber) carbs, 11g protein, 190 calories.

Overall Stats: MHR: 191 (On run) AHR: 160 Time: 44:25

Workout (PM): 30 minutes on Stationary Bike @ recovery pace (65-70% MHR): Stats: 137 AHR

Felt like waking up early and doing something instead of wasting another training day,

Felt good most of the day must be my new PWO recovery drink. Tasted like the best smoothy ever, and felt like it too, and I know what's in it since I'm making it! Going to attempt to use other fruits as well, strawberries/raspberries/blueberries should all work fine. Also cut the fruit down a bit, try 1 cup instead of 1.5 cup and keep the 2 cups of water.

Today's fasting has been harder than the last, hungry at the moment and still got about 5-5:30 hours till I go to sleep, so I guess I'll just ride it out

Rest day tomorrow

Also I'm contemplating going 4 days in a row and 1 off, but I will see how this fasting thing progresses, don't want too many things going on at once. Maybe around End of Nov or Beginning of December
Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #25
Daniel Labuz

November 7, 2008 – Recovery

Workout: 30 minutes on C2 @ 65-70% MHR (Recovery Pace)

Stats: AHR:137, Avg/500m: 2:32.4, 5906m total, 320 Calories, 21 s/m, 4 damper

I got the recovery days from Mark Twight and Gym Jones, I don't know why I started doing it but I have a reason now. I think it's a good time to measure your fitness level in terms of your heart rate, if you can row more meters in 30 minutes at the relatively same heart rate then you have gotten more efficient, either in technique or heart. So I have to thank Mark Twight, whether he intended on that being the justification or not. Although he does say it's good to flush out your system of lingering toxins in your muscles, but why can't it have another reason as well!

Tomorrow I'm heading out to the Catskills and hiking Hunter Mountain (4050') via Becker Hollow trail, which is 2.3 mi and 2200' elevation gain to the summit (Going to try and sprint it as fast as I can to the summit, don't know how fast I will accomplish it in, but I plan to go 90-95% MHR the whole way unless I break a limb or something). Going to be raining apparently which is going to suck for my feet in VFF.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #26
Daniel Labuz

November 8, 2008 - Hunter Mountain in the Catskills

Stats: 2.3mi 2200’ Elevation gain, 55 minutes, 170 AHR

For some reason 10 minutes into the hike my legs mutinied me, especially my calves. I have no idea why, but for the last 45 minutes of the hike it was a total battle against myself to just keep going and forget about the pain. I'm glad there was only 2 other groups on the trail because half of the time I was yelling swear words at my legs for not working 100%, I felt so weak for no real reason, I couldn't jump on rock like I normally do I had to actually stop and step on them, was pretty demoralizing. I wasn't pushing it too hard in the cardio department because I couldn't go fast enough, my legs were beat. The descent was fine, my legs or my mind grew confidence and was down within 30 minutes. All in all was a good challenge, what I hoped at least.

I took some pictures

Heading up

On Top of the fire tower, was quite cool about 45 degrees with wing blowing around 20-30 mph at the top.

Some have a victory drink, I have myself some victory chocolate!

"Take only pictures, leave only footprints"
Old 11-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
Daniel Labuz

November 9, 2008 Strength, Circuit

Warm Up: 3 Rounds: 10x Shoulder Dislocates, 5x 45# OHS, 2x Each Shoulder 60# Sandbag get-ups, 10x Ring Push-ups, 250m Row (58.1,56.8,56.1)

Workout:

(1) 5x5 Overhead Squats rest 80 seconds between sets (75,80,85,90x3,80)

(2) 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 (reps or meter multiplier)

a. Row x100m (4:08.7,3:36.1,3:12.5,2:51.9,2:27.6,2:01.3,1:37.2, 1:11.1,46.7,22.2)

b. Renegade Man Makers @ 20# dumbbells

Cooldown: None

Stats: AHR: 162 MHR: 186 Time: 1:24:34

I probably need more work on my overhead squats, I just can't seem to lock out my arms for very long when there's 85#+ over my head, I don't know if it's mental or if my arms are that weak, whatever the case I'll work both.

That circuit (which I got from Rob Shaul from mtnathlete.com), shouldn't even be called a circuit, it's more like a 15th century torture device. Until you get to the 5 man-makers do you realize you actually have a chance of finishing, before that I was just staring at the C2 computer giving all I got in a daze to keep the big number under 2:05.

I opted to not take a gel @ 54 minutes even though I really really wanted it, I was started to close my eyes and felt like napping through the rows. By the time I got to the 5 man makers I got some energy back and did better on the rows.

Not sure if I should rest tomorrow or not, guess I'll wait till then
Old 11-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #28
Daniel Labuz

Going to try a 24-hour fast, been reading up on IF more and it seems like an even better thing to do. Going to start ASAP, meaning after I drink this protein shake I'm going from 7pm to 7pm tomorrow. I ate a lot this weekend, and I can eat a lot more that's for sure, I was actually trying to limit myself (had some left over trail mix and instead of throwing it away I ate the whole thing very unwise thing to do I guess).

Anyways this fasting thing helps me from not eating psychologically, if I don't have to eat then I don't feel hungry for some odd reason, but on days I don't fast I always seems hungry around the same time.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #29
Daniel Labuz

November 10, 2008 – Easy going pace, Practice, and Core Strength

Warm Up: 2 Rounds: 10x Shoulder Dislocates, Hold 105# Overhead for 20 seconds, 10x Ring Push Ups, 3x Turkish Get-up Each Arm @ 30# KB

Workout: 2 Rounds

(1) Row 1000m

(2) 5x Sandbag Get-Up @ 60# Each Shoulder

Cooldown: 50 Calories Airdyne (25 Legs only, 25 Arms only)

Easy day, but it didn't seem like it. Every time my heart started pumping it felt like I had to catch my breath, might be my body still getting used to fasting (At 19 hours without anything but water), but felt good afterwards.

Going to progress the time on 105# 10 seconds each time until I can hold it overhead for a minute. Then I'm going to ramp up the weight to 125# and start at 20 seconds again, hopefully this well help me physically and mentally that I can hold heavy weight above my head for extended periods of time.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #30
Daniel Labuz

8 weeks out until I hit the ice full-time. I'm going to switch it up from mostly strength/power days to mostly endurance >90 minute days.

Currently I do 4-5 days in the gym (usually around 45-75min) and one or two days where it's totally endurance related.

I need to cut down my time in the gym to 2 days max, and the rest of the days will be all endurance efforts between 60 minutes all the way up to multi-day treks on the weekend. I have been slacking lately in my knowledge and totally forgot or denied that I would need endurance training as I have been somewhat happy with the hikes I was taking but I didn't feel good after then (aka not recovering) so it's time to hit it hard and start revving up the miles running/rowing/airdyne.

I will also implement an interval day every so often to keep it fresh as LSD can make me go insane.

Right now this is what I have planned for the rest of this week:

Today: Run "The Loop", which last took me an hour to complete and I walked 1/4th the way, it's on road and never ending up and down hills. But the last time I ran this was 2 years ago when I was in the beginning stages of building my endurance so I should be able to blast through this. It's about 4.75 miles, so I'm hoping to get under 40 minutes and if I don't espcially after a full rest day then my endurance has slipped over these past 3 months of non-stop strength/power/power endurance days with little to no long efforts.

Thursday: Depending on how my legs are I will either row 75 minutes @ a determined HR or 2 (4x 20 sec work/ 10 sec rest) intervals on airdyne and some little strength work.

Friday: Little work with strength and power (if that) then it's off the Adirondacks

Saturday: Hike 10+ hours, sleep overnight outside

Sunday: Hike 10+ hours, go home