Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Training Logs

Old 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #51
Daniel Labuz

I will return to the regular schedule soon, I had to change it due to outside forces (Been doing a lot of house remodeling 4-8 hours/day of not-so hard labor can add up) and also it's the end of the semester so I have less time to plan sessions and actually do them.

I might take 2 days off here, to catch up on some classwork and also recover correctly. I still haven't recovered fully from the deadlifts Wednesday, and also my calves aren't fully recovered from the 1 1/2 mile run (I blame the damn asphalt). And of course I haven't been eating much lately (or what I have been isn't exactly nutritious), probably not helping the recovery issue. Today was also the first time in a long time (maybe 3 months) I actually felt fatigued and not exactly there physically, accumulating school work, poor dietary choices, and heavier training schedule can really mess with your mind and body. I wish I could hit the mountains this week but, 2 exams, 4 papers, and housework can't be done there so I'm stuck home for another weekend.

All of these need to be addressed and maybe a few days off or so is just what I need to get up to speed in everything.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #52
Daniel Labuz

Thumbs up

December 6, 2008 Recovery

Workout:

(1) 30 minutes C2 @ 60-65% MHR

a. Stats: 2:45.9/500m, 5424m, 281 cal, 125 AHR, 17 s/m

(2) 5x10 Deadlift @ 25-30% 1RM
a. 75, 80, 80 85, 85#

I hate sitting around doing nothing (I procrastinate a lot when it comes to school work) so I figured a little recovery session wouldn't hurt, and I was right I feel a lot better now than I did before this.

More than likely it was the really long contrast shower afterwards that made me feel better, that's probably it. I really need to do those more often, when the cold water hit my skin it felt like everything just faded away (mental and physical). I always get the best feeling after taking a much needed contrast showers, I put it up there with the feeling you get after a good day in the gym. These mental victories keep me from going insane on a day to day basis if you haven't noticed.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #53
Daniel Labuz

Been really thinking about my diet recently, and how it's been affecting my performance and recovery. I guess one could say I fell off the wagon, or at least part of it. I've been eating a lot more carbohydrates, and I'm a firm believer that they can cause a multitude of problems including inflammation and fatigue and possibly slower recovery in inappropriate amounts. (at least in me)

I figure I will need to once again log my food in fitday to get back on track, but I will also try something new since I seem to follow something if there's a definitive plan rather than "eat good" but I always manage to shovel down a 1 lb. bag of frozen blackberries without second thought.

What I plan to do is cut carbs out completely except vegetables, and 1 PWO recovery carb-load. I figure my carbs will be around 35-50g a day, and significantly less on non-workout days, possibly putting me in ketosis. I never done a strict low-carb diet as I was always worried with glycogen stores and the like, but times have changed and well I feel adventurous.

Starting Monday, I will start logging my food in fitday, and only PWO will I consume fruit and/or high carbs. I will do this for 4 weeks. I will probably feel terrible the first few weeks or so, as many folks do but I will stick it out till the end. No turning back now, nutrition is my number one concern over these last few weeks, and it needs to be addressed.

I don't care about total caloric consumed, I never really cared much about that since I seem to stay the same weight regardless of calories consumed (I went on a stint where I ate 1800 calories for about 3 weeks and lost maybe 2 pounds from 161 to 159, and that's very negligible and back when I wasn't weight training a lot so I had some excess body fat instead of muscle). But now I probably consume anywheres from 2800-4000 calories a day mostly fat and protein and I'm at a steady 165-166. Something Taubes is very fond of, and I'm starting to see why.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #54
Daniel Labuz

December 8, 2008 – Strength

Warm Up: 3 Rounds: 250m Row, 10x 50# KB Swing, 5x 2x30# KB Clean and Push Press

Workout (Strength):

(1) 10x3 Back Squat rest 2 minutes between sets
a. 135, 145, 155, 165, 170, 180, 185, 190, 165, 165#

(2) 8x4 Overhead Press rest 2 minutes between sets
a. 75, 80, 85, 95, 100, 105, 105, 107#

(3) 10x2 Weighted Strict Pull Ups (Plates tied to belt) rest 2 minutes between sets
a. 5, 7.5, 10, 12.5, 12.5, 15, 15, 17.5, 17.5, 17.5#

Cooldown: 50 Calories Airdyne

Getting there on the Squats, 190# almost killed me and drained me entirely for the last 2 sets, oh well at least I moved up in weight that's all that matters. Overhead press is getting up next to my bench press, it will be a sad day when it passes it, actually I will laugh because too many people know I'm a feeble jackass when it comes to bench pressing. And there's no cooldown like the airdyne when it's 17 degrees out and you're wearing nothing but shorts and a long sleeve shirt on, sexy that was.

Nutrition: Kept the carbs low throughout the day and just had my PWO shake of some BCAA and blackberries, which tasted rather crappy but slugged it down anyways. As I said I'm trying to keep carbs minimum, no more than 50g a day, but unlimited protein and fat intake although I don't feel hungry at all today, maybe a side effect of little carbohydrates?

Some notes:
I supplement with:
3 tsp of Fish Oil
2 tsp of Cod Liver Oil
Good quality Multi-vitamin in the morning
ZMA before I go to sleep
BCAA after workouts

This is my log anyways:
http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...?Owner=palflax
Old 12-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #55
Daniel Labuz

December 6, 2008 – Recovery

52 Sit-ups in a minute (for fun), 30 minute walk around outside.

I weighed in today at 171, but I had pants/shoes/shirt/random things in pockets and it was the middle of the day after I had eaten breakfast and lunch, so I would put my weight around 167# or the like and that will be my starting weight and see what I end up at the end of 4 weeks, which will be January 5th, 2009.

My waist is 29" just as another reference. Don't know body fat % because those damn handheld things never work for me and don't have the money for a dunk and don't have any calipers, so we'll just leave it at that.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #56
Daniel Labuz

December 10, 2008 – Recovery

Warm Up: Foam Roller

Workout: 30 minutes C2 @ 65% MHR
a. Stats: 2:37.9/500m, 5701m, 303 calories, 132 AHR, 18 s/m

Cooldown: Foam Roller

Hips and legs were really tight so I didn't feel like messing around with them too much today, mainly my flexors and especially my abductors are quite problematic. I'll have to see how this progresses as far as recovery goes, but hopefully I'm ready for tomorrow, 4 papers due tomorrow and a final exam unfortunately, going to have to make some time somehow
Old 12-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #57
Daniel Labuz

December 11, 2008 – Power

Warm Up: 3 Rounds: 10x Burplyo @ 24” Box, 5x Pull Up(Rock Rings 1), 5x Dip, Plenty of PCV Hang Power Cleans

Workout:

(1) 10x2 Power Cleans Rest 2-4 minutes between sets
a. 75, 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 130, 130, 115, 115#

(2) 5x2 Deadlift @ 205# (3 sets completed)

Cooldown: 700m row

Was busy all day yesterday with class and papers so I didn't get anything in (not even much food), probably for the better since I feel quite fatigued mentally and physically.

I don't know why but I still haven't recovered from those deadlifts last week, my back doesn't hurt at all really it just feels awkward and a weird sensation sometimes. It's right above my right pelvic bone on the backside, don't know what to do.

Today I just felt quite awful and wanted to get something in, couldn't even finish the deadlifts after the 3rd set 1st pull I literally felt extreme lightheaded and had to catch myself before tumbling over, did the second pull and had the same feeling so I thought it was a good time to call it a day. I never felt like that before after lifting, I was really fatigued as well and I have never fainted before like that, it's quite weird.

See how I feel tomorrow, I haven't been eating much lately as I haven't been hungry at all, stuffed a bunch a food in my mouth this morning for no apparent reason just to get something in me. Maybe I'm getting sick or are sick, just not my usual self lately.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #58
Daniel Labuz

Haven't felt any good, but probably the biggest reason to that is I have about 2 hours of combined sleep in the last 3 days, went snowboarding all day yesterday so my legs feel like rubber. Been eating a lot of dairy unfortunately and it's made me feel like I have the flu, non-stop runny nose and congestion with the nice helping of fatigue. I know dairy messes with me a lot, but when I see cheese I just can't help but start to consume mass quantities of it (why can't classical conditioning kick in).

On a good note, been doing a lot of grip work (fingerboards, ice tool ladders, lockoffs) and climbing some indoor walls, and starting to build some other configurations so I hope to get them done pretty soon.

I have some more house remodeling and cleaning to do today, so probably won't get any time to get to the gym. Probably for the better, took a few pretty bad falls (shoulder, and right hip took the blunt of the damage), typical for the first snowboard session of the season, pretty icy out as well only about 1/2 inch of manufactured powder on top of ice.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #59
Daniel Labuz

Managed to get some lifting in last night, brother came over so I actually had a spotter for some Bench pressing.

I went for 1RM effort which looked something like this:

140x1, 145x1, 150x1, 155x1, 160x1, 165 (failed)

Also did some overhead squatting with bar a few times demonstrating the movement and probably around 30-35 strict pull ups on rock rings (no kip, but not going all the way down to deadhang, shoulders still activated at bottom at around 140-150 degrees)

I felt terrible all day yesterday, mainly fever/fatigue/sneezing/runny nose, classic flu-like symptoms. Today I feel better, slight fever, no sneezing, slight running nose, and still lingering fatigue. I will take the day off, I hate being sick, and exercise won't help me at this point. I fasted from 6pm last night ate at 11am, hoping to starve out whatever is ailing me. Will probably do the same today, stop eating at around 5pm and wait till 10-11am the next day.

Drinking tons of water, and will probably brew up some green tea as well.

Got about 11 hours of sleep last night, went to sleep at around 10pm, woke up at 3am briefly, and went back to sleep until 10am. Hopefully I can get back on a regular sleep schedule again as this last few days have been almost sleep-less.

I also tweaked something in my right leg snowboarding. I don't know what it is, it's on the inside of my leg between hamstring and quad, like some abductor muscle. It doesn't hurt to squat, it hurts like something fierce whenever I raise it upwards over like 60 degrees. I will try to stretch this out and foam roll it, hopefully it will get better. It feels like a tendon or something.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #60
Daniel Labuz

December 18, 2008 – Strength

Warm Up: 20x Shoulder Dislocates, 15x Strict Pull Ups on Rock Rings, 20x Push Ups, 15x OHS with PVC

Workout:

(1) 10x3 Overhead Squats
a. 45, 55, 65, 75, 85, 95, 100, 105, 115, 95#

(2) 8x2 Push Press
a. 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145x1, 115, 115#

Cooldown: Row 100 calories

Significantly better on the OHS (up from 95x1), love being back to normal shape, was getting frustrated not getting sessions in when I should have. No time to bitch, just back to work as usual.

Although the bright side is that my appetite is finally returning, been eating a lot less than I usually have been including skipping breakfast (or just eating real late at like 11am) this past week just due to lack of hunger.