Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Other

Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Robert Allison

Default The World's Healthiest 75-Year-Old Man

I saw this over on Iron Garm:

http://www.esquire.com/features/don-wildman-0508

All I can say is "Wow."

A couple of thoughts occurred to me:

According to the article he doesn't consume much meat. Supposedly, Jack Lalane doesn't either. Of course, I don't know what "much" is for either.

His body seems to be holding up pretty well in spite of a fairly high volume of work. I wonder if that is due to his supplementation regime or is he just an outlier?

The article also mentions that he is a fan of prolotherapy. Garrett, weren't you experimented with that some? If so, what kind of results were seeing with your patients.

Anyway, I'm not sure what conclusions (if any) I draw from this article, but I thought it was very interesting.
Robert Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Robert,
I don't personally do prolotherapy. I do too many other things to have enough opportunity to get good at it (like surgery, I would personally want to go to someone who does it a lot). When it is called for, prolo is awesome. I believe that it is best indicated in injuries that have "stretched" ligaments longer than they should be, resulting in a "loose" joint. Prolo done correctly is one of the few modalities (other than surgery) that I know of that can actually "tighten" up a joint--without the scar tissue issues of surgery (even arthroscopy). Joints with a history of dislocations or sprains (partial tears) are the situations that I have found/heard respond best to this modality.

As for his meat intake, I do think a minimal yet adequate intake of animal protein is best for longevity. Being that B12 and EPA/DHA are only found in animal foods, I do think they are necessary, and I also feel that proper supplementation of the same can allow for a lower protein intake while maintaining adequate nutrition (especially in today's climate of not-as-nutritious-as-they-should-be whole foods).
Garrett Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #3
Allen Yeh

Wow, that is insane.

wow.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
George Mounce

Something tells me that with weights that would challenge me for each exercise it would probably take me all day. Little too much on the "high-rep" end for me lol.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
Frank Needham

Just give me more caffeine and we'll see about this Wildman guy. Three shots of espresso might just make a difference in how aggressive you'd be when working out. I wonder if he does that before each workout? Think about it.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Needham View Post
Just give me more caffeine and we'll see about this Wildman guy. Three shots of espresso might just make a difference in how aggressive you'd be when working out. I wonder if he does that before each workout? Think about it.
Actually I agree with you Frank, I love coffee, and often drink it pre-workout and it does get you pumped for sure! My problem is the need to rely on it, but of course I drink coffee and tea all day so maybe I'm justified!
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
Tony Ferous

Wow pretty impressive.
i think we can all get a little obsessed with meat and protein, eating +200g ever single day for years cant be paleo surely?

I looked up that neuro1 supplement...the website doesnt list the ingredients! What fool would part with his money on that?
Tony Ferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

I've been wondering about the meat thing as well recently. In the article that was posted up by Michael Pollan it states that if everyone took one day off of eating meat once a week how much money that would save. I know I'd survive if I took a one day fast per week of no meat. Now if it was no protein......heh Something I'm thinking about.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote