Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
George Mounce

Lightbulb KB + Ring + BW program help

Background:

My father is 55 and stuck in his ways (my mom is 54 and will do some of this as well). But he likes KBs and he likes rings. He is pissed that he gets beat in racquetball now. He likes to row, he likes to canoe, he likes to bike, and he'll run if he has to. He is what I would call "skinny fat" though. He won't do barbell or dumbbell work, and that's fine. He will do all BW work as well (push-ups, ring pull-ups, air squats) and variations of things with KBs.

What I need help with is designing a KB + ring + BW exercise program. I have read the comments Steven Low has made about developing a ring program here: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=3141

Request:

What would be the best way to design a program incorporating these three elements?

Would it be something like this?

Row/Run
Dynamic flexibility drills
Static flexibility drills (they both need to work these until they gain flexibility back)
KB exercises
Ring exercises
BW exercises in metcon type workout

Thanks for the big brain help on this one! Get me started and I can go from there!

I didn't know where to post this type of program request, move if needed!

GM
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Chris H Laing

First, have your dad take a look at the (basically) final set-up of the workout plan from that thread. I think Steven and I got it hashed out pretty well(thanks steven!).

But, instead of having your dad do a barbell movement, just put in another ring or weighted body weight exercise. Also he should probably do something for legs, like pistols in sprints (also recommended by steven) since, in all likely hood, he wont be doing anything for legs besides high rep air squat, or KB squats.

The other things, rowing and kettlebells, can be included in the metcons, along with easier bw exercises, like pull-ups and push-ups. I am getting a kettlebell soon, and this is exactly what I plan on doing for my CF style workouts on days I can't to the affiliate. One that looks really fun from the old crossfit archives:

Perform 3-5 Rounds of this circuit.
Kettlebell Swing, 15 reps
"L" Pull-ups, 10 reps
(I would do 5 rounds )

This seems like exactly the kind of thing your dad would like.
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

I'd give him a simple circuit to follow 2-3x a week and change up the exercises. Like an EDT or metcon/rounds variation using BW, KB and rings. I would not rush it but let him go at his pace. Make the reps a bit lower but you can also up the weights so they are challenging (like using a 12RMax for sets of 5 Reps).

Example: One day could be do the circuit of 5 KB presses (per arm), 5 inverted rows on rings and then 10 lunges. Then just switch up the workout the next time using an upper body push, pull and lower body movement. He doesn't need to run around quickly as the short rest will be challenging enough, just go at a pace to insure good form and not injure himself.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Steven Low
Super Moderator

What are his goals? Just get better at racquetball or is there more things he wants to improve?

If it's JUST racquetball... some type of circuit like MOD is saying is probably best. Get the metcon/tabata/HIIT/circuit conditioning up and he'll have the extra wind to spare when playing...
Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
What are his goals? Just get better at racquetball or is there more things he wants to improve?

If it's JUST racquetball... some type of circuit like MOD is saying is probably best. Get the metcon/tabata/HIIT/circuit conditioning up and he'll have the extra wind to spare when playing...
Its racquetball, but overall life functionality as well.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
George Mounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris H Laing View Post
First, have your dad take a look at the (basically) final set-up of the workout plan from that thread. I think Steven and I got it hashed out pretty well(thanks steven!).

But, instead of having your dad do a barbell movement, just put in another ring or weighted body weight exercise. Also he should probably do something for legs, like pistols in sprints (also recommended by steven) since, in all likely hood, he wont be doing anything for legs besides high rep air squat, or KB squats.

The other things, rowing and kettlebells, can be included in the metcons, along with easier bw exercises, like pull-ups and push-ups. I am getting a kettlebell soon, and this is exactly what I plan on doing for my CF style workouts on days I can't to the affiliate. One that looks really fun from the old crossfit archives:

Perform 3-5 Rounds of this circuit.
Kettlebell Swing, 15 reps
"L" Pull-ups, 10 reps
(I would do 5 rounds )

This seems like exactly the kind of thing your dad would like.
For legs I was thinking lunges, KB deadlifts/KB suitcase deadlifts, pistols, air squats, jumping squats.

I also am thinking of having incorporate sandbag training, as this would be more to his liking then a barbell.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Chris H Laing

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
For legs I was thinking lunges, KB deadlifts/KB suitcase deadlifts, pistols, air squats, jumping squats.
Don't forget overhead squats

Quote:
I also am thinking of having incorporate sandbag training, as this would be more to his liking then a barbell.
Thats an excellent idea! I'm now going to include some sandbag stuff in my metcons as well.
Chris H Laing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Leo Soubbotine

I'd personally write up about 30 workouts or so, put it on cards and throw them in a hat and make him pull out one a day 2-3 days a week and do it. Once all the wod's would be done (2 months or so) - write up new, more challenging ones.

Something like

WOD 1
How many rounds in 10 minutes of
10 Swings
10 Pushups
10 Situps

WOD 2
Three rounds for time
Run 400 meters
20 Jumping pullups
20 Pushups

WOD 3
Pushups with feet elevated: work up to the highest set of five you can.
Elevate your feet a few inches every set

WOD 4
Five rounds
20 air squats
15 swings
10 pullups

and so forth.

Hard to tell without knowing how strong he is but that would work pretty darn well. I train quite a few 55+ in our gym on a daily basis and it's quite fun to get those guys strong and fit. One of them just deadlifted 286 and he's in his early 60's.

You can see two of those folks in the "Everyman's gymnastics" video that got posted on CF.com
Leo Soubbotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
Allen Yeh

I like Leo's idea. I was thinking the other day when I first read the thread the whole dice as a randomizer might be fun for your dad as well. So on a strength oriented day at the end use the dice to decide your finisher for the day. 1 could be tabata squats, 2 could be 2k row....etc

I'm really enjoying the KB long cycle stuff with the c+j I think that would be worthy to throw in there as something different from a CF type metcon. If you want more LC info just let me know.
Allen Yeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
George Mounce

Leo, excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Yeh View Post
If you want more LC info just let me know.
Yes please!