Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Nutrition > General Nutrition

Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Mandy LaGreca

Default new and need some direction getting started

Hello,
Ive been lurking for a while and finally decided to start an account and join!
I am a 30yr female, looking to lose another 10lbs.
I am a fitness instructor, teach spinning, Bodypump and yoga.
I also am doing the New Rules of lifting for Women.

I stumbled on the concept of IF while on another forum. It was interesting to me but contradicted everything that I have learned about body recomposition.

I like the idea of IF, as eating all the time makes my life too complicated (I have a 1 year old child) and it also provokes my binge eating problems. Not eating seems to be a great solution for me.

Id like to give this a try. So far everything Ive read about IF says its best to do it 2-3 days a week. Here are my questions:

1.) I like an eating window of 1pm-9pm. I am worried about binge eating if I find I am too hungry though. Do I have to count calories to control my portions?

2.) On the non-fast days, will it confuse my body if I eat all day?

3.) What happens if I overeat once in a while? I am pretty suceptible to binge eating during PMS, and since I am slowing my metabolic rate with this type of eating regimen, will the occasional binge eats hurt my fat loss goals?

This concept makes alot of sense to me! however, I just want to make sure I am not screwing up my metabolism, as I have a history of chronic dieting. I also am a victim of information overload, and get confused when I hear conflicting advice from different people.

Thankyou!
Mandy LaGreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:59 AM   #2
Derek Weaver

I'll keep it short as I just got home and I'm tired and shouldn't be on here.
1) Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to log on fitday to figure out if you're eating enough, too little or just right in your window. This will help you determine whether to expand or close your window down
2) No
3) Probably not. Overeating once in a while isn't going to do much in terms of sabotaging your goals. May be good for you. It certainly is from a psychological stand point. Also, good way to make up calories you're missing from other days.

This stuff is all posted around here by the way. good luck and keep us updated.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

If you overeat one day it's not the end of the world. One bad day does not ruin your figure....lots of bad days consistently will. Use IF slow at first like 2x a week to see how you respond to it. Try to eat healthy foods and don't use IF as an excuse to make unwise choices. Slow and steady wins the race...and the knowledge you learn about how your own body reacts will give you more control on knowing what to do next.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Derek Weaver

I know over in Lyle's forum they discuss the importance of periodic refeeds... you may want to check a few things out over there as well.

Along with Mike OD's blog, leangains.com and Lyle's stuff you should be well on your way.
Derek Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote