Home   |   Contact   |   Help

Get Our Newsletter
Sign up for our free newsletter to get training tips and stay up to date on Catalyst Athletics, and get a FREE issue of the Performance Menu journal.

Go Back   Catalyst Athletics Forums > Training > Fitness, Strength & CrossFit

Old 10-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Liam Dougherty Springer

Default Fat to Muscle ratio

I am about 3 weeks into a strength and mass gain phase and have been following a SSish format and eating an ungoddly amount pretty clean but by no means paleo. Any way I have gained much more than I had expected.

I don't mean just weight I mean I have gained ~14# and it has been split about 50/50 between fat and lean. I have been useing the same scale and BF calabrator each week.

Simultaniousely my strength gains have been beyond my goals thus far, especialy in Back Squat department. It went from 185-200 at the top of my 5x5 BS all 5 sets were a 5# increase I started at 175 and when I did 195 so easily I did 1 more and honestly 200 was not really at my max at all the only reason I didn't go up further was because I figured there is always the day after tommorow and sometimes being overly agressive can be my downfall in training.

Does any one have any comments, questions, or experience that could help me know if this is usual.

For example is gaining about a lb. of fat for every lb. of muscle fine?

I keep flip floping between confidence as to my programing and results thus far and insecurity that I am selling myself short and just getting fat. But seriousely that seems like a incredible amount of muscle to have put on thus far and if the fat that is comming along with it is within the norm of what to expect I am perfectly fine continueing as is.
Liam Dougherty Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
George Mounce

You will gain both at the same time. You can cut down the BF later. Get stronger for now.
George Mounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

May be time for a week or two of less gorging...if you goal is more lean mass gain. You may like 2 weeks of more eating, 2 weeks less (still trying to maitain lean mass of course...with more protein/fat, less carbs but also less calories.)

You could go the old way of bulking up a ton and then trying to diet it off later....but I never liked that personally, and there is always some muscle loss on the diet back down. Lot easier to try and control the BF while you are lower than try and get there much later.

Try to keep you BF% low, do the 2week bulk up, 2 week maintenance cycle...and use that to evaluate and tweak. You should be able to find a solid program that eventually leads to mostly lean gains.....as that is all it is, just finding the right balance and program of loading.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Liam Dougherty Springer

Mike or anyone who is paying attention I can't help but ask your opinion....

The idea of a break from the non stop food is appealing. So what has occured to me is to drop to 1g/# protien and match that in fat on WO days and like .8g?# on rest days. And as far as carbs go do about 80g carbs a little before and mostly PWO. then on rest day under 30g carbs from veggies. Then Sat. I have to teach a strength and stability clas which is basicaly high rep anabolic, then I am going climbing so I figure I will use that as my one carb up day.

That would lead me to about 2200-2500kcal with only 5-13% coming from carbs 6 days out of the week.

Finally I want to IF again and was thinking that it felt like IFing from around 6pmish on a rest day to noonish the next day before a work out might work well for recovery and my want to create muscle spareing and insulin sensitivity while giving my body a much needed chance to recognise some stored energy and break this constant digestion.

I feel like this would not lead to muscle loss and if everything is done well my newly aquired muscle may be able to continue makeing strength gains for a week or two. You never know I may simutaniousely lose a little of the fat my body has not yet become to atatched to before I go back to stuffing my face.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Mike ODonnell

I still like the 2 week rotation:
- 2 weeks eating more calories no IF
- 2 weeks eating less cal but higher protein/fat, less carbs with IF

Should give you a good balance and keep your body guessing and gaining.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
I still like the 2 week rotation:
- 2 weeks eating more calories no IF
- 2 weeks eating less cal but higher protein/fat, less carbs with IF

Should give you a good balance and keep your body guessing and gaining.
Do you not think that is what I outlined above ....

What I began doing was a two a week carb load and one IF a week.
On both Work out and rest days I ate high calorie just no carbs on rest days and the middle WO day.

Now I am going to do the plan I thought out above per your suggestion...

is it two high carb or calorie?

I felt like with my activity level any lower cal would be verging on a reduction diet.

or just no carb load on saturday? or are you thinking actually increase the protein intake?

cause I was at like 210g of protein and I was thinking of bringing it down to 160 for maintenence.

Okay now I am sounding neurotic I just really like the sound of this 2 week deal and if what I posted above isn't along the lines of your suggestion I would love you to help me wrap my head around it.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

There is no one perfect way....just go forward young soldier with a plan and see what happens.....
Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
Liam Dougherty Springer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell View Post
There is no one perfect way....just go forward young soldier with a plan and see what happens.....
I knew you were going to say that... and I will.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Dougherty Springer View Post
I knew you were going to say that... and I will.
I knew you expected me to, so just go do it damnit.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
Liam Dougherty Springer

Man my dL were strong today up 20 lb. at the top of my 5x5 to 275 and it was easier than 255 was 3 weeks ago.

At my job (globo gym) my boss really wanted me to start teaching a group exercise class heh... heh... anyways it aint as bad as I was afraid (cute women and good money).... The point is I ended up getting a seriouse work out and wasn't planning on it I need to build the confidence to not do the work out with them next week I am going to try.

The reason I am saying all this is my plan is to just eat more food and drink 16 oz. of milk I need to finish... I am planning on eating less than I have and barely any carbs as posted above but I need to recover from a day of the most weight I have ever pulled as well as benched then my regular trunk work and an accidental dose of HIIT and lamo core stuff. I figure The extra food should do it.
Any body have any similar experience will just adding an extra meal with like 30+g protein and a little carbs from the milk probrably cover the extra work.